Sign in to follow this  
noktekniq

help me config my system! $1500

easy go for the 6800gt. A better graphics card on a slower PC always results in better gaming. Even in HL2....

If you don't game then write system 1 on a piece of paper and system 2 on another piece of paper. Crumple them up and drop them down a long staircase. The one that goes the farthest is what you should buy... ;)

the only prob is that the x2 is only on some 6600gt. which is like a horrible graphix card and gets bit into the dust with 7800gt. i dont want to spend extra money just of graphix card unless i can cut back on some stuff i don't necessary need. IE maybe get a cheaper case?

looking at my cheap 17' flat panel i don't think it can provide me with what the 7800 can do anyways. maybe i should get a 6800gt. i dunno. but most of you people are wanting system 2

hmm for the oc of dual core. what if i have one bum core. how do i make it so the cpu runs on the higher oc most of the time and use the lower as a backup is it possible? or no. and plus how much different can it get? IE one core as 2.7 and the other core at 2.4? or would they be closer in value.

You can overclock to the max of the single core. What will happen is one core will never work. Hence defeating the entire purpose of dual core. I'm running my X2 3800+ at 2.5Ghz 100% stable. Price was right and it's screaming fast.

You can overclock to the max of the single core. What will happen is one core will never work. Hence defeating the entire purpose of dual core. I'm running my X2 3800+ at 2.5Ghz 100% stable. Price was right and it's screaming fast.

one core will never work? really?

I think he means that one of the two cores will OC higher than the other. Hence you'll not achieve the OC potential you'd hope. That's what I think he means.

X2 is slower in gaming for sure. Being voiced is the fact that with only 1 memory controller > do the math the bandwidth is cut in half. So some things will benfit from X2 and other things done will suffer. X2 would make a good server setup for sure it seems.

RGone...

one core will never work? really?

7800GTX with a 3000+ venice IMO

i don't see a point in such a weak cpu with the graphix card. i want a nice fast stable system that can support multimedia. i'm not using it for extreme gaming like bf2 or stuff like that.

maybe i should go with system2 since that's what majority recommends. but i remember AG saying that he can't really tell the difference with a 4000+ cpu comparing to a dual core even with all the windows open and stuff. but i dunno. i have to read over that post. it's int he forums somewhere.

any more feedback?

The setup I got in my sig came out to $1621.35 shipped + tax.

Overclocked the venice to 2.7ghz. BF2 @ 1280x1024 with settings max, 4 AA, 16 AF, runs silky smooth.

Personally, I would go with either a X2 3800+ or a Venice 3000+. Also, wanna consider 2 gigs of ram.

Here are some more options to think about

System 1

3700+ San Diego and 7800GTX

System 2

3800+ X2 and 6800GT

System 3

3700+ , 6800GT, 2GB ram

since ur already upgrading "upgrade meaning going to another level" then i would go with that dual core...since ur "upgrading" heheheh :)....futureproffing heheheh

i don't see a point in such a weak cpu with the graphix card. i want a nice fast stable system that can support multimedia. i'm not using it for extreme gaming like bf2 or stuff like that.

maybe i should go with system2 since that's what majority recommends. but i remember AG saying that he can't really tell the difference with a 4000+ cpu comparing to a dual core even with all the windows open and stuff. but i dunno. i have to read over that post. it's int he forums somewhere.

any more feedback?

I recall you saying you play bf2. Check this link out...

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/athlon_64_...ling/page14.asp

I happen to have 3200+ and an eVGA 7800GTX. Whoops up on my old newcastle 3500 and 6800GT. Start worrying about being underpowered? Oc the venice a bit. Almost all venice 3000+ or 3200+ i have seen can make it to 2.4-2.5ghz w/ stock vcore. Just my 2 cents.

edit.. you can use the proc for a few months then sell it when the prices for the X2 come down a little more.