I need a RAID knowledge transfer

Grumpy

Here's the deal. I have been a software QA engineer for the past 6 years or so. I just recently (like this week recently) accepted a position within my company as a SQL Server DBA. Now as far as relational databases go I am completely comfortable so that is no big deal, but when it comes to hardware configs there are some areas that I need badly to come up to speed on. RAID being the biggest.

I know that a lot of you guys here get all hot and bothered when you hear terms like RAID level x, and stripes and what not, but I can't really make heads or tails of all that. So I need some help. I know what links to read around here, but are there any others that any of you might recommend that I read to help me get up to speed on this?

RAID is easy once you understand how and why it works.

Desktop RAID is vastly different that RAID in a production environment.

Once you have the basics you then need to move to the practical application of the concepts.

Performance versus protection.

Do you need Hot-swap or Hot-spares in the configuration? If you have Hot-spares should they be online of offline?

Are hot-pluggable drives OK? Will the controller rebuild the array on the fly or does the array have to be offline?

PATA versus SATA versus SCSI.

Internal to the server chassis or an external chassis on a fiber link?

What is the predicted rate of data storage growth?

who gets hot and bothered about raid? It's easy.