X2 4400 or 4000+ SD???

Guest nomad_merged

Thanks Lee for the feedback.

Yes I've also read some reviews on dual cores and they seem to OC reasonably well. (I am talking about getting 300-600 Mhz OC here)

X2 4400+ is tempting me but quite pricey at the moment for my budget.

Any good deals on X2 4400+ anyone?? :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I've also read some reviews on dual cores and they seem to OC reasonably well. (I am talking about getting 300-600 Mhz OC here)

X2 4400+ is tempting me but quite pricey at the moment for my budget.

Your welcome. Frys has the 3800 X2 sometimes for under 380 bucks. That is a good price. Newegg is sitting at 430. Plus factor in selling the old stuff you may have if that is your intention. The 4200 and 4400 are the same except for the cache. 1mb vs 2mb total. I do alot of video editing so the extra cache really helped in Photoshop.

Lee

Hmmm. lots to think about. I just dont want to get a x2 with one bum core and cripple my OC. But if 470hpGS400 says that it has been doing so well for him maybe some more thought is needed. If I get an X2 I will definetly get the 4400+.

Also I am getting a BFG 7800GTX OC and I have read that the forceware 8X.XX drivers will be optimized for dual cores. Maybe another thing to take into consideration.

I will sleep on it and see if anymore opinions can seal the deal. I also have a week or so to thinkdo research before I sell.

Thanks guys

Nomad

Hmmm. lots to think about. I just dont want to get a x2 with one bum core and cripple my OC. But if 470hpGS400 says that it has been doing so well for him maybe some more thought is needed. If I get an X2 I will definetly get the 4400+.

Also I am getting a BFG 7800GTX OC and I have read that the forceware 8X.XX drivers will be optimized for dual cores. Maybe another thing to take into consideration.

I will sleep on it and see if anymore opinions can seal the deal. I also have a week or so to thinkdo research before I sell.

Thanks guys

Nomad

I sure do hope 8x.xx forceware is everything I am reading about. SLI is working great. Only issue is 3DMARK01 will not run in SLI at all.

All my issue have to do with gaming..

Reading all your issues I can only think that there's a problem with your installation/sytem, but not with the X2. Oh, and did you try to assign the dvd shrink process to the second core (with task manager, affinity)?

I purchased an X2 4400+ a week ago (am doing my system build next weekend). When I checked yesterday (always want to see how much I could have saved if I'd waited a little longer), cheapest price I could find for the X2 4400+ was $545 shipped from ZipZoomFly.

Thanks shira for input.

Your setup is very similar builds as my soon-to-be rig.

I have about 1-2weeks of time before I get down and order rest of my parts so I have some time to wait for prices to fall at least.

Does anyone know of any good AMD 64 X2 OC database online?

O.K. here is an update. I went to a local retailer after about a week of agonizing about which CPU to get, basically went totally by impulse and got the 4400+. It was about $750CAD including taxes :eek: . Got home and was so worried about a crap overclock or the likes. Poped it in and cleared CMOS and loaded optimized defaults then went ahead and began my OC.

I know my TCCD inside out so I just went ahead and went with my average timings for my 260-300HTT range and started at 260X10 @ 1.51v. Booted up and it loaded multiprocessor drivers and rebooted and ran 2 intsances of SpuerP1 32M first crack. I almost . myself!!

So I thought there is no way so I upped to 265 and voila! Again, 32M no prob. So I take it to 2.7 and no go. Random reboot. Take it to 1.6 and BAM! good again. So i slowly start taking it up 1HTT at a time till I hit 273. Another wall hits and I figure what the hell. Alittle more voltage, so I gave it .01 and again she does 32M of PI.

Load temps are 41c and idle is 34c. I am so far in about 5 hours of 2xPrime 95 with no errors.

Now let me tell you how smooth this is with dual FX-56 and a 1/2. I have never seen anything so fast. It is like silk. My choice has me tickled pink. I never even dreamed about this kind of power. Just cant wait to get some games that can work this thing like it is meant to.

In my haste I forgot to write down my date code and stepping but I will reseating soon so I will make sure to do it then. I am not sure but I think it was a 0529, but not sure. I will work this chip for awhile then flip the lip on it and shoot for 2.8Ghz.

So, anybody that is still on the fence the chioce is allot clearer than allot of people make it out to be. I had a FX-53 at 2.7 and this works it like a redheaded stepchild. Seriously!!!

be careful my 4400 is clocking REALLY badly, i am fighting to get it stable at even 2300mhz, see my sig for stepping details

I am finding that most X2's are xlnt overclockers. Odd that your is not going past 2300mhz. I can boot mine at 3ghz but not stable. Inching my way past 2900 at the moment. Hella fast cpu.

Lee