Sign in to follow this  
Fungi2003

NF4 ULTRA-D> final specs...

Hey I have those two :P The mouse is nice after using it for a few hours I got use to the sensitivity. The keyboard is nice to. And the lights are pretty similar (plasma and eclipse)

I have the Diamondback and the Eclipse, and I REALLY wanted the plasma mouse, but it came out after I had already bought the "older" version.

For gaming, it is an EXCELLENT combination.

I'm looking at installing an additional two 80mm fans to cool the hard drives (case provides space at the front of the two drive bays for this), do you think this will keep case temps at a minimum?

To be honest with you I don't really think it will.

It is tough keeping case temp down with that many HDs in there but it should be ok if you can provide the proper irigation.

ADD LOCATION to your profile. the management...

I would NEVER use a wireless keyboard/mouse for gaming. I play too competitively for some battry to go dead, or my pacemaker set off the reception of the mouse and make it go crazy (only a joke, I don't have a pacemaker).

It would be my dumb luck that my mouse or keyboard would F*** up the very moment I was going to make the winning frag or something. I know it sounds VERY far-fetched, I've just found awesome alternatives, that I know absolutely CAN NOT have the same possible problems that a wireless combo could potentially give you.

This keyboard (click on the picture for a link to Newegg):

keyboard.jpg

This mouse:

green.jpg

Or to be cool, get this one:

blue.jpg

So this is the kind of gear that you use to frag out opponents on the net aye?

yes this is the type of gear :), but if you really wanna get serious, get the Razer Copperhead, razers new laser mouse, looks just like the plasma edition, blue leds. lots of features like removable weights, on the fly sensitivity.

Razers working on an ergonomic gaming keyboard, called Tarantula, and a headset called the Pirahna :O

yes this is the type of gear :), but if you really wanna get serious, get the Razer Copperhead, razers new laser mouse, looks just like the plasma edition, blue leds. lots of features like removable weights, on the fly sensitivity.

Razers working on an ergonomic gaming keyboard, called Tarantula, and a headset called the Pirahna :O

I can't get this kind of stuff in Australia, I wonder if newegg (or another US company) would be willing to send the gear over here?

Hmm I got my Razer off of Amazon. Not sure if Australia has amazon... and the eclipse off of Dell (had coupons for each) So maybe those are some choices? I would think newegg ships internationally but I'm not sure I think i've also read of monarchcomputer shipping internationally. Not too sure on the prices from each of those though.

So you're doing RAID 0+1. The onboard controller supports this?

I like Logitch MX1000, they sell as a combo with wireless keyboard. They keyboard is... eh. There are many reviews. Biggest complaint about keyboard is size shrink in function and esc key.

Don't worry about wireless mouse. Sheesh. I get some 12-16 hours continuous use before I have to drop it on the little charger. Then if I absolutely need to continue to frag, I just plug in a wired USB mouse... has only happened once.

I think you would benefit from using the SLI-DR model, the included SLI should give you some headroom if yo ever find your GTX needs a lil help. But more than that, if you decide to go with 4hard disks, the Silicon Image SATA Controller has RAID5 ability, with witch you could build a 3disk Redundancy+performance array and keep one disk for backup or spare...

I myself am waiting for my Nforce4 ultra model to arrive... its on the mail along with my 4200+ and Radeon850xt*not a GFX but it was real [email protected] 320, I have 4 maxtors250gb and im planning to do two raid0 arrays using the Nvidia Controler, and then mirror one backup partition betwen the two via software,... wich i went with the SLI just for the raid5 but i do overnight copies of my backup so itl be fine...

Anyway i think you should benefit from the SLI-DR even more than me...

I think you would benefit from using the SLI-DR model, the included SLI should give you some headroom if yo ever find your GTX needs a lil help. But more than that, if you decide to go with 4hard disks, the Silicon Image SATA Controller has RAID5 ability, with witch you could build a 3disk Redundancy+performance array and keep one disk for backup or spare...

I myself am waiting for my Nforce4 ultra model to arrive... its on the mail along with my 4200+ and Radeon850xt*not a GFX but it was real [email protected] 320, I have 4 maxtors250gb and im planning to do two raid0 arrays using the Nvidia Controler, and then mirror one backup partition betwen the two via software,... wich i went with the SLI just for the raid5 but i do overnight copies of my backup so itl be fine...

Anyway i think you should benefit from the SLI-DR even more than me...

Don't ever dream of trying to use the on-board controller for RAID 5, it will be sooo s-l-o-w, if it works at all.

Don't ever dream of trying to use the on-board controller for RAID 5, it will be sooo s-l-o-w, if it works at all.

I read you, just read about the silcon image chip being more of a software solution as far as Raid5, and the write performance being low... maybe for a personal/gaming workstation Raid0 is the best bet, installing windows, DVD games, etc... write performance is crucial, thanks for the coment, now i dont feel to bad for being limited by Raid0,1 on the Nvidia Controller, I dont miss SLI support on my Ultra myself because I drive two 17+LCDs, wont go higher than 1280, if i had choosen an Nvidia videocard might tought about it tho.

... My ultra is not even here, *being shipped via USPS*, and I cant wait anymore...

Also... as far as i know you would need 5 disk to do a stripe + mirror and backup configuration with your disks, that would be a Raid 1+0 setup (four disks) and a backup disk.., i just dont see the use of Mirroring your whole array, maybe if you are using WXP you could just do a mirror partition betwen two dynamic disks; the downside would be that dynamic partitions cant host an non Windows Operating system.

What im planning to do is creating two stripe sets and just have a backup job that keeps a backup partition equal on both, that way i can host other operating systems, performance and redundancy without wasting too much drive space... Altought its a Terabyte in marketing terms*1,000kb instead of 1,024kb*, having the most available is always nice ;)