Burning in suggestions

Pimmetje

Hi guys,

I'm gonna want to really burn in my cpu.

But what is the best way to go about it??

Let it burn in @ stock speeds with a high voltage so that it gets used to that, or preferably lower voltage, say 1.3V @ 2.0Ghz for 3200+??

Or set it to the highest stable setting and burn-in from that setting??

Any suggestions would be real helpfull.

Thanks

Pim

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are a few guides on how to do this correctly. I would first run it for a while at stock settings to check for stock stability. Then slowly up the voltage and FSB speed with the RAM at 100 mhz divider, CPU mult at highest setting(not auto), and the other multiplier at 3x(usually at 5x on my system). This way the RAM is not being pushed and you are just upping the CPU. Keep the voltage below max and read up on what the venice core can do.

I'd highly suggest you constantly monitor the temps, and leave the CPU fan at max.

I have no advice on voltage numbers to run to but basically the idea is to increase voltage and FSB slowly till you hit the max stable setting. Run that setting for like 12 hours with a CPU testing utilty(ex: prime95) and then reduce down to stock FSB and voltages. Now repeat the process and bring the CPU back up to the max. What should happen is you should be able to achieve the same overclock FSB at a lower voltage and hence a lower temp.

I do not hold any responsibilty for you burning up your CPU doing this. So, take your time and read some more on what to do before you attempt this.

Good luck!!

Thanks for the link Prodigy.

That looks like some usefull info, so I'll give that a try the coming week and see what she gives me.

At the moment I can run 260 x 10 Prime stable, that is, if it didn't give an error yet. I'll find out in about 2 hours.

I've started priming (2700 1.612V) about an hour ago. Will leave it going for 24h (or till it errors out).

2745 is still a no go with this voltage (SuperPI 32M is OK, but Prime = 0 minutes). Maybe after some burning it'll work for me.

I decided to start with my stock speed burn in.

I set it to stock speed last night, about 8hrs ago, and set the vcore to 1.3V

I took a look at it just now, and it's still running without errors.

When I get back from work, I'm gonna set it to 2.6 with 1.45V +110% and do burn in test for a full day or something.

Well,

thing is, some people have gotten results with this kind of thing, and even if I can't get to higher speeds cause of this, but only able to run at lower voltage, that'll still be a win for me, cause then it'll run cooler.

And maybe it won't do anything at all, but it never hurts to try.

there's no such thing as burning in a cpu. some do claim you can do this with memory though.

Yup i agree on that one. All benefits are psychological imo. Burning in Ram though is another matter entirely...

Theres a nice article regarding CPU Burnin HERE.

Anyway give it a try if you wish and post your results, be interesting :)