Sign in to follow this  
faheyd

Boot/Bios sees non-raid Sata drives, XP does not!

Have you use the Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management to check whether the drive is detected but not "activated"?

There was once I reinstall Windows and "lost" a HDD in Windows. Later found out the drive using the above way and make it active back. Luckily all data is in tact. :)

Yes, I've used the disk management (see post 1) and no joy there either, have not done the other thing in the recovery console, will check that later this afternoon and see what happens.

Yes, I've used the disk management (see post 1) and no joy there either, have not done the other thing in the recovery console, will check that later this afternoon and see what happens.

Looky what I found, http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t53168.html . It seems GB boards are having the same problem (but not all boards).

RGone, Angry, can we open up a job with DFI or do I have to do that manually?

Looky what I found, http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t53168.html . It seems GB boards are having the same problem (but not all boards).

RGone, Angry, can we open up a job with DFI or do I have to do that manually?

RGone came to the rescue on this one. After a bunch of emails back and forth comparing notes, multiple installs of XP, One of the things that didn't show up until comparing notes (*See atch pic) was the difference between my device manager output and his. My CPU was being detected as a MPS multiprocessor PC (who woulda thunk it), and his was correctly being reported as a ACPI Multiprocessor PC (see pic). I remembered how to 'manually' select the processor type (HAL) in the old win2k days, you hit F5 during the 'F6 scsi driver' part of the XP install and select the correct HAL, but when I did it in XP, I only saw 2 items. RGone had to walk me through it (you hit the up arrow when the 2 items show up) and low and behold, there's a selection for ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Do I know why my CPU was being incorrectly detected, no. But were we able to fix it, yes. So, after manually selecting the correct CPU (HAL), the XP install finished, and I was able to install the 6.66 drivers and the SATA controllers all showed up as they should. Hats off to RGone for the help. I've also attached a pic of my MBM with all the goodies active and running 2 instances of P95 for 12 hours (a beautiful thing to behold), also, I've fixed my sig to reflect current conservative overclock specs).

I had given up on trying to fix this issue and just run a non-SATA system.

I had a thread here a few weeks back about getting SLI to work on a UT NF4 SLI-D box. At the end of the thread I had gotten SLI to work, using some of the suggestions from here, but was left with SATA not working with a seagate NCQ enabled SATA drive.

Of course seagate pointed out that since I could access the drive from a dos boot disk and fdisk/format it, that the problem was not the drive. But I was still left not able to use/see it in windows or windows install.

So once again thanks for this, and someone add this into whatever document you have about the DFI boards and dual core AMD CPU's.