Sign in to follow this  
faheyd

Boot/Bios sees non-raid Sata drives, XP does not!

Hi,

I got everything working almost. I have one normal PATA on ide0. I have 2 Seagate 300GB 7200.8 SATA drives hooked up to SATA 1 & 2 in a NON-raid setup, with RAID disabled on bios.

The drives are detected fine by the bios. I use the AMD 6.53 or the latest 6.66 drivers, and they 'look' like the drivers install fine, but I don't get the sata stuff in the device manager after reboot. See pics. (pic 1 never changes). I've tried manually installing the drivers and I get the 2nd pic.

'Drive Manager' doesn't see the sata driver either.

What gives? The second picture/driver says it's not compatible with my rig???

Thanks for any hints or help.

EDIT: Please tell me I don't have to uninstall my video drivers, could that be it, I just saw the hint at AMD???

I've since 'removed' my nvidia video and IDE drivers via XP 'software add/remove' function, but still no joy on install of NF4/AMD drivers for Sata IDE. Still same pics as above.

Am I the only user with this problem?

OK, but it still doesn't say wether or not sata is enabled in bios, the post screen will show your drives wether sata is enabled or not.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. When the sata controllers are 'not enabled' in the bios, nothing is detected. The only time sata drives are detected in the bios is when the sata controllers are 'enabled'. At least with my bios 623-3 that is true. It might be different for others.

Please see 2nd pic for what I think is the problem, 'this installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your vendor.'

I'm surprised that one of the mod's haven't look at this yet or have an answer, does it mean my CPU or the ide processor? Does anyone with a 4400x2 CPU have this problem with XP sp2 or is it just me?

NM then. I've seen bios detect sata drives on 3 boards, without sata enabled on first boot, but this one's obviosly different.

Anyways, I've read of others having problems using nvidias ide drivers, they recommend using xp's ide driver instead.

Try ports 3 and 4?

I know this isn't a fix, but may be a work around..

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. I'd be glad to use MS drivers, but the drives don't show up there either, just the controllers with greyed out stuff, can't select anything.

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. I'd be glad to use MS drivers, but the drives don't show up there either, just the controllers with greyed out stuff, can't select anything.

Done, no change, no joy. Still the same. Sata drives are detected, even got Smart working, now detected as sata 3 & 4. Still same pics as above.

Used different cables too. Nothing from Seagate as far as software, the only thing I found was >137GB reg patch, not much else.

Hi, I have the same kind of setup as you with non raided Raptors but they are seen by my Nvidia drivers. It's very weird that your Windows won't detect them. I even added my Raptors after having installed one windows on my IDE. Have you made sure your Windows is ok? Open the recovery console in Windows setup and type: chkdsk /p /r and this will check any file system errors in windows.

It's definitely not your setup causing the problem as I have an X2 4400+ too.

Have you use the Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management to check whether the drive is detected but not "activated"?

There was once I reinstall Windows and "lost" a HDD in Windows. Later found out the drive using the above way and make it active back. Luckily all data is in tact. :)