Sign in to follow this  
Xylo

NF4 Ultra-D>> 2x512 Corsair 3200C2PT

My build is going ok so far, with the one exception of the memory. Most of this is copied out of a separate thread, so I can leave those folks alone... ;)

- One stick installed (slot 2), memtested for hours = no problems. XP runs fine.

- Swap it out for the other stick, memtested for hours = no problems. XP runs fine.

...so no problems with either stick alone.

But, pop either stick in the "4" slot (so both sticks in) = problems....specifically, memtest reports a bunch of errors right in the first pass, all my right around at the 1010MB mark out of the 1024 total -- none below.

So, this is basically a BIOS DRAM settings issue, I take it?

This test was done with everything at AUTO...

Then I put in just the basic 4 timings off the memory (2.5-3-3-6) in their appropriate locations in Genie's DRAM config. This second time, got some errors around 700MB mark, some around 900MB mark, and some around the 1000MB mark...but all weren't until a couple passes in this time.

After all this, I went back and tested each stick alone again, and sure enough, no problems.

I flashed to 623-3 and used those Optimized Defaults as a starting point...

I'm back now to all my failures occuring at 1019.5MB to 1019.8MB...(all on test #8 I think?)

I seem to be getting closer...some more tweaks and getting less problems, but still errors...no matter what they all always seem to be happening on memtest's test #8...I wonder what the significance of that is...hurm.

Next, I tried moving the memory to the "yellow" slots 1&3....Eureka! -- well, almost. In this configuration, the memory appears to go great in memtest. No errors! I even tried at the "overclock" voltages described in the Corsair compatibility report: http://memtest.corsairmemory.com/print_rep...200C2PT&id=5038

("VDIMM to 2.8, the CPU VID at 1.55 and + 104%, and the LDT voltage at 1.4V")

...and I'm able to run memtest with no errors.

However, it still won't let me into XP. Throttling back the CPU and LDT voltages a smidge will let me get into Safe Mode, but still won't let me fully boot. Throttling them back further won't even post a lot of the time. So is there some desired middle ground then??

That's where I am as of now...any recommendations/advice would be most appreciated...I *have* been reading and searching the forums (that's why I tried the yellow slots, flashed to 623-3, etc.)...but still.... :)

Bios ver 510-2 seems to work best with your RAM. Leave in dimm slots 2 and 4 (Orange) Try the below settings

1. Clear cmos (make sure unplug power cable to psu)

2. Boot and go into bios. Set to load optimized default

3. Save and reboot.

4. Go back into bios go into genie bios settings and make sure dim voltage is set to 2.6

Make the below changes.

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Plus turn off cpu throttling.

5. Save and reboot.

Do what StephenC suggests. He got me up and running when I was having trouble getting the same RAM to work. I kept BIOS version 623-3 though. (By any chance did you get yours over at the Microcenter on Mem Drive?)

Here are all of my settings right now in genie bios. This is running stable for me, but if I try and change any settings it fails memtest right away.

GENIE BIOS Setting

>DRAM Configuration..................Press Enter = New Menu

FSB BUS Frequency....................200

CPU VID Start Up Value..............1.450V

CPU VID Control.........................1.375V

CPU VID Special Control.............Above VID * 113%

LTD Voltage Control...................1.20V

Chipset Voltage Control.............1.50V

DRAM Voltage Control................2.90V

GENIE BIOS Setting >DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set (MHZ).............200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command per clock (CPC)..............Enabled

Cas latency (tCL)....................2.5

RAS to CAS delay (tRCD)..............3

Min RAS active time (tRAS)...........6

Row precharge time (tRP).............3

Row cycle time (tRC).................07

Row refresh cycle time(tRFC).........AUTO

Row to Row delay (tRRD)..............02

Write recovery time (tWR)............02

Write to read delay (tWTR)...........02

Read to write delay (tRWT)...........03

Refresh period (tREF)................3120

Write CAS latency (tWCL).............AUTO

DRAM Bank Interleave.................Enabled

DQS Skew Control.....................AUTO

DQS Skew Value.......................0

DRAM Drive Strength..................AUTO

DRAM Data Drive Strength.............AUTO

Max Async Latency....................AUTO

Dram Response........................Normal

Read Preamble Time...................AUTO

Idle Cycle Limit.....................256

Dynamic Counter......................Disabled

R/W Queue Bypass.....................16X

Bypass Max...........................07X

32 Byte Granularity..................Disable (4 bursts)

I hope that helps. Bottom line is that this board really does not like Corsair. I took my heatspreaders off and found that Corsair used elcheapo value ram ICs on mine (way to rip off the customer!) so that is probably why, as this board was not engineered to use cheap RAM. It will fight you a bit if you try to use it, but you should be able to get it to work eventually.

Bios ver 510-2 seems to work best with your RAM. Leave in dimm slots 2 and 4 (Orange) Try the below settings

1. Clear cmos (make sure unplug power cable to psu)

2. Boot and go into bios. Set to load optimized default

3. Save and reboot.

4. Go back into bios go into genie bios settings and make sure dim voltage is set to 2.6

Make the below changes.

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Plus turn off cpu throttling.

5. Save and reboot.

I had all those settings except for the BIOS version...I'll try it out, thanks. :)

Do what StephenC suggests. He got me up and running when I was having trouble getting the same RAM to work. I kept BIOS version 623-3 though. (By any chance did you get yours over at the Microcenter on Mem Drive?)

Heh...no, but I've bought other things there.

I hope that helps. Bottom line is that this board really does not like Corsair. I took my heatspreaders off and found that Corsair used elcheapo value ram ICs on mine (way to rip off the customer!) so that is probably why, as this board was not engineered to use cheap RAM. It will fight you a bit if you try to use it, but you should be able to get it to work eventually.

Corsair cheap??...I dunno about that, as it flys in the face of the vast majority of reviews I've read, but perhaps...this is my first time using it. BTW, how did you get your heatspreaders off??...I don't really have any interest in taking mine off, but they seem on there pretty damn good... ;)

Corsair cheap??...I dunno about that, as it flys in the face of the vast majority of reviews I've read, but perhaps...this is my first time using it. BTW, how did you get your heatspreaders off??...I don't really have any interest in taking mine off, but they seem on there pretty damn good... ;)

Yeah I fell for those reviews too. Then I found these Mosel Vitalec chips on this so called premium RAM. These same chips are used on value RAM for much less. I won't be buying anything from Corsair again.

The heat spreaders are just stuck on there with thermal tape. They are stuck on pretty solid, but you can peel them off with some careful effort. WARNING: This voids your warranty.

Grumpy that post with the timings looks very familiar :)

That's because I stole the format from you ;)

Ok, Grumpy's settings were a no-go.... :( Memtest liked them (!), but Windows still flashes some blue screen and reboots (Windows runs fine on just one stick).

Have to stop tinkering for now, but later I guess I'll try 510-2...or maybe swap back to the yellow slots? What's the difference anyways?...

Thanks folks...

Have to stop tinkering for now, but later I guess I'll try 510-2...or maybe swap back to the yellow slots? What's the difference anyways?...

Thanks folks...

I haven't tried this BIOS yet, but from what I have read the -2 BIOS versions give best performance using the yellow slots, whreas the -3 ones perform best with the orange ones. These things all seem to be generalizations though. Every board is different so your mileage may vary.

How many times have you blue screened by the way in all of this? It's possible that your windows install has become corrupted.

I am thinking the same way as Grumpy. Just a few stop errors can corrupt windows. You can try also try setting CPU VID Start Up and Control to 4.25 and set dram voltage to 2.7. The c2 also uses promos rev 5.1 chips as well. Just depends on when your sticks were made.

How many times have you blue screened by the way in all of this? It's possible that your windows install has become corrupted.

Nope, because the second I go back to one stick, Windows works just fine.