Sign in to follow this  
Xylo

NF4 Ultra-D>> 2x512 Corsair 3200C2PT

What version is written on them? are they the same or different.

I have a pair of 512 Corsair XMS3200C2 v1.5 UTT and they runs fine in dual channel.

It Could be that both your sticks use different chips.

No, they're actually a "TwinX" matched set....and I checked, versions are the same.

tried stephen's settings...memtest runs fine with the sticks in either pairs of slots (yellow/yellow or orange/orange)...but windows still is unhappy (but has no problems booting w/ 512)...

Going to try the older 510-2 BIOS next...

tried stephen's settings...memtest runs fine with the sticks in either pairs of slots (yellow/yellow or orange/orange)...but windows still is unhappy (but has no problems booting w/ 512)...

Going to try the older 510-2 BIOS next...

At this point, were I in your shoes, I would still suspect my windows install even if I could get it to run with one stick. I'd re-image my drive and try out the above mentioned settings and if I still couldn't get it to work in dual channel I would RMA/return the RAM.

At this point, were I in your shoes, I would still suspect my windows install even if I could get it to run with one stick.

Why? And when it sometimes won't boot into safe mode, and the blue screen is up for a second or two longer, and it clearly shows some sort of memory related error...unfortunately, when I just try to boot normally, the screen goes by too quick for me to even notice that much.

Remember, this is a brand new fresh install of Windows, hasn't been run much at all, and so far has worked *flawlessly* with just one stick of RAM. My problems *only* occur with two.

I'd re-image my drive and try out the above mentioned settings and if I still couldn't get it to work in dual channel I would RMA/return the RAM.

1) Re-image?...you mean a complete reformat and reinstall??...

2) In any case, I'm not sure about returning the RAM either...I mean, it can spend 10hrs. in memtest w/ no errors w/ both sticks in....so I'm not sure that RMA'ing it really accomplish anything?...

I was in the same situation as you. Several months ago I built a new AMD rig with one of these boards and the exact same RAM and I went through hell getting it to post (took me a while to figure out I need to use single channel). After that I scoured these boards and read everything I could about this problem. If you do a simple search for corsair memory (or even 3200C2PT) you will quickly find, like I did, that this board has problems working with this memory. I've tried a whole lot of bios versions and dram settings and the closest I've gotten is running windows in dual channel for about 15min before a BSOD. Stephen's settings were helpful, with some tweaks.

Eventually I gave up, since I didn't have the time to play with it and needed to use my PC. I am still running in single channel now, several months later. If I didn't need my PC every day, I would have RMAed this board by now. I was considering getting different RAM, but with all the compatibility problems I read about here, I don't want to go through the headache again, just to be disappointed in the end.

You seem to be a more techy guy tho, maybe you'll figure it out ;)

Good luck!

Hello,

Try this

GENIE BIOS Setting

>DRAM Configuration..................Press Enter = New Menu

FSB BUS Frequency....................200

DRAM Voltage Control.................2.7v

GENIE BIOS Setting >DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set (MHZ).............200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command per clock (CPC)..............Enabled

Cas latency (tCL)....................2.5

RAS to CAS delay (tRCD)..............3

Min RAS active time (tRAS)...........7

Row precharge time (tRP).............3

Row cycle time (tRC).................11

Row refresh cycle time(tRFC).........14

Row to Row delay (tRRD)..............2

Write recovery time (tWR)............3

Write to read delay (tWTR)...........2

Read to write delay (tRWT)...........2

Refresh period (tREF)................AUTO

Write CAS latency (tWCL).............1

DRAM Bank Interleave.................Enabled

DQS Skew Control.....................Decrease Skew

DQS Skew Value.......................0

DRAM Drive Strength..................AUTO

DRAM Data Drive Strength.............AUTO

Max Async Latency....................6ns

Dram Response........................Normal

Read Preamble Time...................5ns

Idle Cycle Limit.....................AUTO

Dynamic Counter......................Disabled

R/W Queue Bypass.....................AUTO

Bypass Max...........................AUTO

32 Byte Granularity..................Disable (8 Bursts)

Why? And when it sometimes won't boot into safe mode, and the blue screen is up for a second or two longer, and it clearly shows some sort of memory related error...unfortunately, when I just try to boot normally, the screen goes by too quick for me to even notice that much.

Remember, this is a brand new fresh install of Windows, hasn't been run much at all, and so far has worked *flawlessly* with just one stick of RAM. My problems *only* occur with two.

Because it is a viable possibility. That doesn't mean that it is definately the problem, just a possibility. Why not eliminate all possibilities that you can before going through the whole RMA rigamorole?

1) Re-image?...you mean a complete reformat and reinstall??...

Yes I mean a fresh format/reinstall if you are not using any kind of disk imaging software.

2) In any case, I'm not sure about returning the RAM either...I mean, it can spend 10hrs. in memtest w/ no errors w/ both sticks in....so I'm not sure that RMA'ing it really accomplish anything?...

You purchased what is advertised by Corsair as a matched pair of dual channel RAM that should run at 2.5, 3, 3, 6 and it is not doing that. Technically you have grounds for an RMA. I know that's a PITA but it may be what you need to do.

That's why I asked if you had bought it over on Mem drive because that would be much easier to just go exchange it. I had to do that twice with this stuff before I got a pair that worked. The first pair one stick would fail memtest every time no matter what I tried. Then the second pair would pass memtest for hours but would refuse to boot into windows no matter what I tried, dual channel, single channel, one stick at a time, all different slots, nothing made a difference. The third pair worked. Even though it worked it will not OC at all.

Tried those settings, Sharp, w/ version 510-2...and no-go.

I tried the first set of settings and the second in 510-2. Actually, I tried the second set with and without the CPU VID voltages from the first set (without = just setting them all to auto). All in the two yellow slots...

Those even gave me errors in memtest....sigh....I'll write more later, too frustrated right now.

I could reload 623-3 and try the second set of settings, I guess...or try the same w/ 510-2 in the orange slots...just so many damn variables to try...

Because it is a viable possibility. That doesn't mean that it is definately the problem, just a possibility. Why not eliminate all possibilities that you can before going through the whole RMA rigamorole?

I'm pretty confident that it's not Windows, as I've been running it a lot with just one stick, and haven't had even so much as a hiccup. In any case, I'd really really rather avoid reformatting and reinstalling yet again...I'm much more apt to RMA something actually, at this point

You purchased what is advertised by Corsair as a matched pair of dual channel RAM that should run at 2.5, 3, 3, 6 and it is not doing that. Technically you have grounds for an RMA. I know that's a PITA but it may be what you need to do.

So, just playing Devil's Advocate here for a second, but why blame the Corsair and not the DFI? Isn't it possible the DFI is defective, and not the RAM?

I mean, I know this is a DFI forum and all... ;) ....but I don't understand why people are apt to jump all over the Corsair when memtest basically says it's fine?....

I dunno, something somewhere here is just not working right....either Windows, the RAM, or the motherboard...or some combination of those....unfortunately: a) with 1 stick of RAM Windows and the mother board work just fine....so I wouldn't normally think it's either of those....but B) the memory tests out in memtest fine....so....?! It's like for all reasons I can see, everything *should* be working...but it's just not....sigh.

In any case, I gone through Genie about 100x now, and flipped the RAM between the yellow and orange slots and done a bunch of stuff....I've gotten close enough at times that I can memtest it for 10+ hrs, each stick individually, and both together, with no errors....but, still won't boot all the way up with the second stick...sigh.

Hello,

I have seen many posts with this problem, not just with Corsair but cheap modules such as

Mushkin 3-3-3-8, Kingstin Value ram and Corsair VS.

1 stick works on its own but both are unstable.

And both were unstable in memtest but after tweaking they can pass memtest but remain unstable in windows.

Try the settings 1 more time but with this disabled.

Command per clock (CPC)..............Disable this

1 stick works on its own but both are unstable.

And both were unstable in memtest but after tweaking they can pass memtest but remain unstable in windows.

Indeed, that is exactly my situation!.... Glad to know I'm not alone at least!

Try the settings 1 more time but with this disabled.

Command per clock (CPC)..............Disable this

Will do...With the set you listed, I assume?...(or the set Grumpy listed?) And which BIOS? 623-3? 510-2?.... ;)

BTW, Sharp, thanks for your help...(and Grumpy and StephenC)