NF4 SLI-DR> windows crashes after install chipset drivers

Runs fine until I installed the 6.66 chipset drivers and now it crashes when windows trys to goto the desktop. any ideas? systems specs below, a note, it will run in safe mode and will run if i uninstall the drivers.

another side note, it does the same thing with any version of the chipset drivers

Are you installing all of the drivers, or just the ones you need? I have read a lot here that the IDE drivers in particular have caused a lot of headaches.

If you're installing the ide drivers, that may be your problem. I've read on here that a lot of people are having trouble with them...just uninstall and reinstall all the drivers except the ide driver.

Just reread the post...looks like somebody just barely beat me to it.

I've just recovered from much the same problem. Windows threw up dire warnings about the IDE driver not being WHQL certified even though nVidia states that all the drivers have been approved. On reboot, the system slowed down to a virtual crawl. I tried to rollback the driver, but of course the nVidia installation removes all previous drivers which means that you'll just get an IDE driver instead of a SATA version if you try to rollback (visible in Device Manager).

I tried to use System Restore to turn back the clock and although I was able to revert partly to the v6.53 version, both the logging utility and the tray icon remained disabled. I then used Add/Remove Programs to remove all the nVidia drivers and then tried to reinstall v6.53 again. That failed too and although the firewall appeared to install OK, I had no access to the ActiveArmor control menu and couldn't add anything to the firewall menu.

I finally gave up, deleted the partition and reinstalled the OS. That didn't entirely solve my problems because as an ardent gamer, I discovered much to my horror that I was getting horrendous pings, upwards of 5000ms where I used to get them in single figures.

I've just run netsh winsock reset after running netdiag winsock:test /v to determine if the Winsock32 file was corrupted or not (results were inconclusive) and thankfully, things are pretty much back to normal again (low pings in games again). :)

One other thing I've noticed too is that in spite of choosing not to install the nVidia Audio drivers because I've got a Creative SoundBlaster card, the installation utility totally ignores your wishes and installs them anyway. :(

But I shall definitely avoid any further upgrades to the platform drivers until I've thoroughly observed reactions to them around the web first.

Hello,

Worm,

You could disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Or when you install the chipset drivers, it copies everything to the c:nivida folder.

So once it has done that, cancel the setup.

Go to the c:nvidia folder

and delete the Audio driver folder

And run the setup from the c:nvidia folder.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2189&stc=1

:)

Runs fine until I installed the 6.66 chipset drivers and now it crashes when windows trys to goto the desktop. any ideas? systems specs below, a note, it will run in safe mode and will run if i uninstall the drivers.

Rule #9 states you must fill in your location in your User Control Panel at these forums. Please read the rules and follow them so we can give you the best help possible.

Come on people...the rules are there to be read and followed. We will again start just deleting threads if you cannot be bothered to read and then follow these rules we have set for this forum.

Rule #9 states you must fill in your location in your User Control Panel at these forums. Please read the rules and follow them so we can give you the best help possible.

Come on people...the rules are there to be read and followed. We will again start just deleting threads if you cannot be bothered to read and then follow these rules we have set for this forum.

So, where is "Faroffistan"?

Curiosity, why so insistent on location? What purpose does it serve?

So, where is "Faroffistan"?

Curiosity, why so insistent on location? What purpose does it serve?

Faroffistan is due west of Toocloseistan, which are both due north of Deletepostistan. LOL Think the location is so these guys can direct you to official DFI support if required. Like Angry and Rgone cover DFI in USAistan, and so on. Plus its their forum, and when your in Faroffistan do as the Faroffistanians do LMAO

Here ya go I found it !! Rule #9

9. Location - Everyone MUST go into their User Control Panel and fill in their location.

This is as important as a signature. We MUST know where you live to be able to direct you to the correct regional office for RMA/repair, as well as recommending where you can purchase hardware in your area.

(no sense in us recommending Newegg to you if you live in England, but if we don't know you live in England then how can we know not to recommend them???)

Hello,

Worm,

You could disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

Or when you install the chipset drivers, it copies everything to the c:nivida folder.

So once it has done that, cancel the setup.

Go to the c:nvidia folder

and delete the Audio driver folder

And run the setup from the c:nvidia folder.

:)

Hi Sharpy,

Onboard is disabled in the BIOS. But it doesn't make any difference: the installation will install audio drivers regardless of your wishes. Also, deleting the folder still leaves the Registry entries intact.

Interestingly enough, even after uninstalling v6.66 via Add/Remove Programs, all the Registry entries pertaining to that version remain active. I suspect this impedes reinstallation of an older version.

But anyway, as already mentioned, deleting the partition and reinstalling the OS is the quickest way of fixing the problem. That's one good thing about an NTFS formatted drive: you can delete the Primary without the need to delete the Extended partitions first like you do on a FAT32 drive. :)