Sign in to follow this  
Fungi2003

Should I run virtual servers and game on the same machine?

I am designing a new system (see specs in signature) which I will be using for my new system. I have designed the machine with the intention to run virutal machines (VMWare) on it which will replace the many machines laying around my office. I will also use this machine to play the odd game (Half Life 2 and Battlefield 2).

I mentioned this to one of my workmates and he looked at me with total awe. Long story short, he didn't approve of the 7800GT being used on a high performance workstation such as mine and told me that he would rather build a totally new computer.

What are you thoughts on this? Do you think its a good idea to run virtual machines and games on the one machine? My workmate has a fair point but I kind of designed my system with this in mind.

with a dual processor, and 2gigs, I don't see why not. Your bottleneck will probably be only 1 hard drive. A seperate drive, with just the games, and/or a raid configuration would probably help.

with a dual processor, and 2gigs, I don't see why not. Your bottleneck will probably be only 1 hard drive. A seperate drive, with just the games, and/or a raid configuration would probably help.

Sorry but thats what I forgot to add into my signature; I am getting 4 HDDs, 2 are going to be placed into a RAID 0+1 drive for the host OS, 1 for VMWare machines and 1 for storage.

How does that sound?

Sorry but thats what I forgot to add into my signature; I am getting 4 HDDs, 2 are going to be placed into a RAID 0+1 drive for the host OS, 1 for VMWare machines and 1 for storage.

How does that sound?

I'm sure that will help, but I am not all that familiar with VMWare, and the needs for that alone.

Also you state that 2 drives will be placed in a raid 0+1. Not possible. You'll need 3 or 4 drives for 0+1.

I'm sure that will help, but I am not all that familiar with VMWare, and the needs for that alone.

Also you state that 2 drives will be placed in a raid 0+1. Not possible. You'll need 3 or 4 drives for 0+1.

Looks like I might have to get a couple of raptors in RAID 0 for my host OS drive then. As for requirements for VMWare; heaps of RAM, and in my case, a CPU that has great multi-threading capabilities.

2 of the newer sataII drives will be very close to that of 2 raptors when in raid 0, and for much less cost. Search the forums here for the hard drive benchmark thread, you'll see the very close comparisons.

i always have one machine to do server work (be it file serving, game serving, music serving, dvd ripping *serving? lol*, etc)

i always have my own machine for gaming

servers can be built with more memory, hdd space, less cpu and video

gaming rigs need to be great vid, cpu, 1GB of memory or more and only enough hdd space to run the OS + games

Ok, just made updates to my system, specs are as follows:

* Antec TX1088AMG Grey ATX Tower Case,

* OCZ PowerStream 600W,

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 939 Retail Box Dual Core,

* DFI LANPARTY UT NF4ULTRA-D Nforce4 Ultra,

* OCZ 2GB (2x1GB Kit) EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum Kit,

* XFX Geforce 7800 GTX,

* 4x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 200gb 7200rpm 8mb SATAII/300 NCQ (2 in RAID 0, 1 to mirror the RAID 0 disk, 1 for storage),

* 3 x 80mm Fan with Sensor (still not certain which brand to use),

* NEC ND-3540A Black DVDRW,

* Samsung 913B 19" Black LCD, 8ms, 700:1 Contrast, DVI

What do you think of this now?