Plextor px-716sa can't burn :(

The drive is attached to the nf4 controller and reads fine both cds and dvds but i can't burn both.. he hangs when burning the lead in. i got the latest firmware 1.8 installed for the drive

mobo = DFI Lanparty NF4 SLi-DR

is this a known problem with u guys who have the same drive?

maybe some bios options i dont know of? Everything is default now on the bios..

plz help

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Khar :),

Try this: Uninstall the Nvidia NF4 Platform drivers and reboot. Then, upon re-install of the platform drivers, only select the GART and Memory controller drivers to install. Then attempt to burn (this will have the default windows Sata/IDE drivers controlling your bus traffic)

If that works, you know what the issue is, you can then attempt to reinstall full platform drivers, but I have had issues in the past with the Nvidia IDE (therefore possible sata issues?) replacement driver (the name slips my mind but it asks you if you want to install when installing the platform package)

I run the IDE version of the 716 plextor and have no issues, but I have the windows IDE driver, not the nvidia NF4.

hifi

Then, upon re-install of the platform drivers, only select the GART and Memory controller drivers to install.

DO NOT INSTALL GART DRIVERS

he has an NF4 board, which has no AGP functions.

you can try with and without the NVidia IDE drivers (I never use the NV IDE drivers unless I am using RAID)

I ran into the same issue with my Plextor SATA burners. They simply do not like the NForce ports once in Windows with Raid setup. I had them connected to the NForce to install Windows (only way BIOS would recognize them) and then switched them over to the SIS ports. They now burn like crazy with no issues.

Lee

Guest Grader

Iam having kinda the same problem. Bios sees the drive (IDE Master) the cdrom feature works great. but if i try to burn, using EZ Media Creator (what came with the drive) it says it burns fine. but when i stick the cd back in. there is nothing on the CD. can tell by looking at the cd that it did write something. but CD is blank..

I have uninstalled Nvidia Drivers and reinstalled using only the SMbus Audio and Ethernet drivers (From the Newest Release 6.66) and still not working.

Any other idea's?

I have the same drive, it sounds like a bad drive really. Have you updated your system drivers lately?

The PX-716SA is one of the best DVD burners around. Most of the trouble people have with it is because the motherboard has trouble with optical sata drives. I however had no trouble with mine and my ultra-d. It is also the only optical drive with 8m of cache. All others have 2m.