what 2x1gb kit?

blarf

hey,

i've been doing some research but i can't decide what kit i should buy. i play lots of video games and would like to buy a good 2x1gb kit that could overclock decently. my budget: under $300 if possible. could you help me and guide me on what to get?

sincerely,

blarf

This is what im getting and its right in your price range.

Click here

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

I also do alot of gaming and have been told this is the best setup to max out a 2gig ddr400 board.

-toddi

I am glad this topic came up as I am having the same quandry.

DFI nF4 Ultra D

3700+ San Diego

Looking for 2 X 1 gig

I, too, was looking at the:

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum System Memory

from Newegg at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227210

It says its rated at CL 2-3-2-5, 2.6V

I am curious why you recommend:

OCZ5002048ELGE-K

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...al_channel-2gb_

CL 3-4-4-8, 2.8V

Do you get better results out of them?

Also, I notice these Rev2 of the Gold ones:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...nnel_gold_rev_2

CL 2.5-3-3, 2.8V

But they only have 2X256 and 2X512

I'm not questioning your recommendation, I just want to understand why... so I can make an informed decision. And I'll know which direction to tweak when I get the parts in. Thank you very much for your time.

Just my .02

I built my 4400+ rig in the DFI LanParty SLi-DR motherboard about a month ago. I had LOTS of trouble with memory errors for about 2 days. Never did figure out precisely was causing the trouble, but after lots of reading here I got my settings worked out.

I bought 2x1GB PC3200 of Crucial Value from New Egg at the suggestion of a frequent poster at HardOCP.com. He said the value usually overclocked to 250MHz, and he'd had better luck with that then most other brands. Not wanting to pay $300+ for memory, I got the two sticks of Crucial and have been pretty happy.

While just testing memory stability with Memtest, I got the two sticks running up to 240MHz FSB without errors at stock voltage and memory timings of 3 - 3 - 3 - 8 and stock voltage. At 245MHz memory errors occured, and I had to back down. But when testing my stable overclock speeds with Prime95, I could only run the CPU at 225MHz, so the lesser memory speeds aren't a major concern.

Now ideally, I suppose I should try a lower multiplier with my CPU and try increasing the FSB for faster overall speeds. But I've read getting the DFI board to 230MHz or faster can be a problem, and I haven't taken the time to figure out what I need to do to improve my stability. I DO know my NB and PWM temps are around 50c Idle, so I'm considering adding another fan to my system to improve airflow there, or possibly removing the NB fan and replacing the thermal pad/paste that might be under it. Though I'm not looking forward to that, as the plastic pins are easy for my big fingers to break. :(

In any event, I can recommend the Crucial sticks. At about $200 they were a good deal and seem to have great overclocking capabilities as described.

I got OCZ's 2x1024 pc4000's. They are at 3-4-4-8 @264 with stock volts. They are just about to hit 24hrs of being in my puter..After a week or so i will try tightning them up a little.. It was great though i dropped them in, changed my cas from 2.5 to 3, and went 250x10 no problem, reinstalled windows cause my dual core was actining funny..Got windows installed in little over 15 minutes.. rebotted and put it to 264x10..No memory tweaking or nothing.. OCCT, Memtest and dual prime stable baby =-0

Just gotta install BF2 and i am good to go.. WoW is in, but isnt memory intensive, but damn it runs good with all graphics maxed and Supersampling turned on :shake: