Sign in to follow this  
nathsods

A64 Memory for OCing

I have chosen a LanParty UT NF4 Ultra D. I have pretty much decided on a A64 3200+ Venice core & I want to have my go at overclocking it. I've been looking at some OCZ Gold VoltageXtreme Ram or GeIL DDR400 CAS1.5-2-2-5 Winbond BH5. I am going to get 2x512Mb sticks to run in Dual Channel mode. They are both a little over $300AU Is this any other good overclockable memory anyone can reccomend that still runs good timing while OCed?

Mushkin ram is not available in Australia unfortunately & may i ask is Corsair TWINX3200XL 400Mhz Xtra-Low Latency (2-2-2-5) different to the Corsair UTT BH-5 TwinX1024-3200 because i cant find that Corsair BH-5 memory even on the Corsair website or work out which it is..?

thx

It depends, there seem to be 2 "choices"

1) UTT/CH5/BH5-6

OCX VX (pc3200/4000)

OCZ Gold BH5

Mushkin reds

They need some volts (either by moving jumper or PSU trick/booster). Most will do 250 to 260ish 2-2-2-5, active cooling required.

2) TCCD/TCC5

Less volts, slightly looser timings, should do 270 up to 300. Never used them, cant tell you anything more about them.

Both will do fine on the board. Have a look at the OC 939 database. Loads of info on various RAM in there. Good luck with whatever youll be getting!

Thanks for your reply guys, so fairly decent clocks while still keeping the tight timings with actively cooled ram. With ram that has heatspreaders you need good airflow through your case and ram for it to be stable and get that high? Here is the OCZ PC-3200 Dual Channel Gold VX. It has gold heatspreaders on the ram sticks.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memo...channel_gold_vx

I am getting a Antec P160 with a 120mm Case fan exhaust on the rear and a 120mm front intake. Will i need even more cooling to run the ram at decent speeds & timings? I also am planning on getting a Thermalright XP-90 with a decent 92mm fan for to cool my OCed cpu.

A fan directly on the RAM is recommended. Good airflow by itself wont do. Me XP120 deff cooled the lowest dimm good, but the upper dimm needed a fan on it. Some nice examples for RAM cooling here ;)

Oooh at that ram cooling solution :) hehe thanks. I just remembered that my current PSU a Enermax EG485P-VHB Coolergiant has a small fan underneath it that sucks air into the psu and out thru the back, ...maybe this will be somewhat sufficient for ram cooling. I am also trying to keep my case reasonably quiet.

said and done, ide reccomend you to go with a high quality OCZ product, much like the Gold series.

Tom

Yeh i was already strongly considering the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Gold VX 2x512MB because it overclocks decently keeping timing at 3.2v which the ram is still warrantied up to. In this review http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=oczgoldpc3200_3

The ram reaches 255HTT @ 2-2-2-5 1T @ 3.6v stable on the LanParty NF4 Ultra-D. The GeIL Ultra-X PC3200 Winbond BH5 acutally does 260 HTT @ 1.5-2-2-5 1T stable http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=ge...pc3200winbond_3 , but with no real performance improvement, The OCZ ram seems good though and its $24AU cheaper :D

Theres no difference in performance goin CAS1,5 on the AMD64. AFAIK CAS1,5 is actually 2,0 on these cpu's.