Sign in to follow this  
Snook

Newegg/American site prices

Hi,

I've been looking to get a 7800GTX, but they are waaay to expensive at the moment.

I have a friend going over to a cousins in the states.

The prices over in america seem an awful lot cheaper

I've been doing my maths...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814122224

that works out at £275, you will be getting a 7800GTX for cheaper than a UK 7800GT.

UK 7800GT - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=249092

Does the newegg price have to have tax added to it? What will the price be with the tax if there is one?

If the price is still cheap I may get my mate to pick one up for me :D

Snook

No tax unless they are in California. Of course your mate should be declaring the VAT or what ever your local tax is in theory at least.

No tax unless they are in California. Of course your mate should be declaring the VAT or what ever your local tax is in theory at least.

I wouldn't have it any other way... :)

So Americans can get 2 7800GTX' delivered for $1004!!!!!!!! Thats £555 UK!!!!! Not exactly cheap, until you see that....

The same 2 cards in the UK would cost £730 delivered!!! $1318, 'only' $318 more :rolleyes:

Snook

Its the way of the world mate, well at least the way of living on an island!!!, i have a lot of car parts shipped over form Japan, 9 times out of ten i manage to escape the extra charges (due to them being gifts and example cars parts with no or little value ;) )

My mate is bringing back all my DangerDen parts from the US in a few weeks and thats going to save me a fair bit, i may still tack on the graphics cards to the order ;) If you do get caught on shipping, VAT and Duty or carrying the goods though, the price normally works out a lot more :(

Andy

Cheers.

So if he gets through customs its all good, if not then I will have to pay extra. What if he wraps the Gcard as a b'day present, thats how another mate brought goods over.

It will be a kind of B'day pres if he does it...

Snook

EDIT

They would have to be pretty hardass at the customs to tear open a birthday present...

A lot of it is to do with the exchange rate. The £ is a lot stronger than the $ at the moment so it makes it look like they are getting things a lot cheaper than they really do. Thats a point a lot of ppl seem to miss.

For us going and buying from the US = Great, very cheap.

For someone from the US buying over here = Very expensive.

I buy stuff from the US all the time. Shipping is only cheap. I recently bought 2x 512mb sticks(Dual Channel Kit) of OCZ PC3500EL BH-5 for £40. Shipping was £5 airmail and took 4 days to arrive.

No, you don't pay customs tax on gifts. You could even just get him to mail it to you. Probably be about £15 airmail on a full retail graphics card, fully boxed, using the USPS. When he fills in the customs form just get him to tick Gift ;)

Your very unlucky if you end up paying customs tax even if you don't check Gift.

Hey Shinobi did you order any of your stuff direct form an online store or has someone you know sent it out to you?

Snook

Usually i just get someone to send it to me, other times i've used US Ebay.

A lot of these online stores charge ridiculous amounts for shipping.

Tax is added for residents or delivery addresses of California, Tennessee and New Jersey since Newegg has a presence in each of those states.

The Tennessee location is actually a FedEx co-located warehouse. The orders are transmitted to the warehouse where the product is picked, packaged and shipped. All of this is inside the FedEx facility at the Memphis International Airport.

If you ever make it to Memphis, the FedEx tour is very cool. If you ask nicely they might let you hang around until the planes start arriving around 10pm and the whole thing cranks up.

It's amazing how few people actually touch any of the packages.