3 Diag. LED. Result from a massive Water Leak.

Thanks for your suggestiong there JAXK, I would certainly be more reliefed if someone else can confirm that my graphics card is fried and not the mobo. Does anyone have a similar case where they are also stuck on 3 diag. LED on the first PCI-E slot and reboot fine but with no image on the second PCI-E slot? It would certainly put my mind as ease to pin-point which component is fried, but I don't have any other spare parts to test things out. Thanks again for reading my thread, guys.

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

Yes, I have noticed that 3 LED may meant that I'm having issues with my RAM. But it seems kinda odd to me how the RAMs could of be damaged through this whole experience. Since it is located above the leak, it has no way of getting wet. And if I placed my graphics card on the lower PCI-E slot, the entire system seems to boot just fine (atleast I guess it's booting up fine, because I'm hearing my HD whirring, all diag. LED are off, and I can turn off my compute after about a minute or so when I've pushed on the power button.)

Then again, I don't consider my self as a true computer hardware expert. So maybe my motherboard, my graphics card, and maybe even my RAMs are fried? Oh boy, I do pray that is not the case.

Yes, I have noticed that 3 LED may meant that I'm having issues with my RAM. But it seems kinda odd to me how the RAMs could of be damaged through this whole experience. Since it is located above the leak, it has no way of getting wet. And if I placed my graphics card on the lower PCI-E slot, the entire system seems to boot just fine (atleast I guess it's booting up fine, because I'm hearing my HD whirring, all diag. LED are off, and I can turn off my compute after about a minute or so when I've pushed on the power button.)

Then again, I don't consider my self as a true computer hardware expert. So maybe my motherboard, my graphics card, and maybe even my RAMs are fried? Oh boy, I do pray that is not the case.

Do you have a local computer shop around?? Bring your parts there and have them try them in a system thats running. If it were me I would just tell them that you need to see if your stuff works, not why!! he heh

Some small shop would prolly do it for ya. If everything works fine, ie CPU, RAM, Vid, then I guess you know what it is.

-Freez

The traces on the motherboard are all over the place. The RAM slots may be above the original source of the leak but that doesn't mean moisture hasn't affected a critical link!

Guest Spartacus

If the system boots but without video, then the RAM is ok.

Sounds like either the vid card, or the mobo has a problem. Possibly even both.

Put the video card in the slot that allows the system to boot up and try working with it a liitle more to see if you can get video back.

I would pull the mobo out of the case and go over it with a hair dryer. DON'T get it super hot, just enough to dry it out. Water can hide under chips and between the chip pins. Do the same with the vid card and anything else that got wet. There are electronic cleaners that you can spray on the board to clean it up and remove the water, but that stuff is nasty (trichloroflouroethane I think). You'd have to be careful with that and make sure it's the right stuff.

Anyway, clean up everything again as best you can. Don't go jamming paper towels in the card slots though. The pins are very fragile and will be no good if bent.

Clear CMOS and try to get the system going again out of the case first.

I'm kind of guessing you lost the vid card and/or mobo. Tough break dude. I refuse to run water through my expensive box of parts for just this reason.

Best of luck!

well i really think that your vid card is the problem as in the lower slot it only uses 2x PCIx unless in SLi mode then its 8x ,i think, so some of the lanes on your Gfx card might not be working, i thought it might be the top PCIx slot but you get no video from the second slot but your system appears to boot which only makes me more suspicious of you Gfx card, you really need to try another Gfx card before you can do anything else, do what Freezer64 suggested and take it to a small computer store and get them to try another card in it or buy a cheepo PCIx 5200 or sommit to test in it

It also might be a good idea to clean out all your slots (CPU Socket, PCI, Memory), contacts, and the effected areas where it spilled with Isopropyl Alchohol and a brush (a hard rated toothbrush or better yet a brush thats antistatic rated) It may be that you have some contaminents (water additives) that have dried and left a residue on the contects thus not allowing the flow of electricity.. Hey its worth a try..

Thing is with water damage is that even though you board looks clean, you may find that later on (once you get it working) that some of your components may start to "corrode" after some months of use. If you clean the board with alcohol beforehand, you reduce your chances of that happening..

Like I said, its worth a try

Having had serious issues with nF2 Ultra B boards, bare in mind the bios might be fudged, I had DFI send me a few pre-flashed BIOS chips for that board, they helped a lot. The nF2 was kindof well known for having that issue though.

You need to figure out which part(s) are ruined. Test them in another machine. This is why I stay away from water cooling. For my next cooling upgrade, I intend to get a Zalmon CNPS9500 (the smaller version), and an NV silencer 5.

Once again, thanks for the attention guys. I think I've confirmed that only my graphics card is fried. I have just bought a new LanParty UT SLI-D from CompUSA, and when I hook everything up, nothing have changed. The same, 3 diag. LED from the upper slot and booting fine on the lower slot but with no image. Is this a 100% confirmation on that only tge graphics card is fried?