Thermal Sensor In Xaser Iii

mrogers

Last week I bought a Thermaltake XaserIII case and a Zalman 7000Cu HSF. As many of you no doubt know, the XaserIII has a HardCano 9 fan control/temp display unit mounted in the top 5.25" bay. As I was putting my 2.26 GHz P4 rig into my new case, I ran into a problem with the temperature sensor running from the HardCano unit: it was too big to fit underneath the processor as it was supposed to! I have attached a crappy picture from the documentation that shows how you are supposed to do it. The problem is, the processor in the pic is an Athlon, and since the P4s are so much smaller, there's no room for the sensor to fit in between the pins! I tried it diagonally and straight across, no luck. I also tried folding it over on itself to make it shorter, but the added height prevented the CPU from seating correctly in the socket.

I have spent a lot of time searching for info about this issue, and I have emailed Thermaltake, as yet with no response. NOWHERE on their site or in the documentation does it say the XaserIII/HardCano is incompatible with Pentium 4s. And I can't BELIEVE that I am the only person in the world with a P4 who has bought this case. As I have browsed around, I have started to discover that some people actually place the probe in between the CPU and the heatsink; is this safe? Does it work, and wouldn't it prevent the heat from being drawn off of the CPU if you interrupt the connection to the heatsink? Thanks in advance for ANY and all thoughts/advice...I am at my wits end...

-mrogers

Edited by mrogers

Hey man.. I can relate to this. I also have a Thermal Take Xaser 3 case I just bought from Newegg with a P4 2.8 Gigahertz and I had the same exact problem. I just placed the probe in between HSF and CPU and it has crushed the sensor so it always reads at 59.1 degrees on the hard Canno.... so... basically it is just a stupid problem from thermal take and as far as I could tell there is no solution. I'm going to call or email them again and see if I can get a new probe or hard canno because that is bs. But I do love the case and everything about it.. it is just beautiful. I am truly thankful I went with the Xaser 3 because I helped my friend build a computer today, and he had the Antec Sonata case and it SUCKS... nothing works right in that thing. My Thermal Take built smoothly and awesomely. But anyways.. that's about all I can tell you, you're not the only one.

Thanks,

Mike

Because of the way the P4 is setup, you can't place the diode under it. However the P4 does include a heat spreader on top that AMD does not, that silver metal that covers the top of the CPU. What you can do is place the diode flat against the mobo with the diode touching the edge of the heatspreader, tape it in place with non conductive electrical tape, and mount your heatsink. The temperatures are quite accurate, probably less than one degree off. That's how I did it as well as many others. Thermaltake might give you a replacement if yours is broken. My problem has been with the LCD itself as the first one would read garbled numbers, and my replacement has just faded to nothing. I'll see if I can get another replacement. ;)