Power supply, samples anyone?

hiya guys. i just rmad my psu. its an antec trupower 550. i dont beleive it was faulty, but i suspect job on it to be the culprit. anyhow, i also noticed using smart guardian, that my atx 12v was 11.43, im assuming that is not anywhere near the promised 3% +- from antec as a 3% +- would not be lower than 11.634.

anyone with another one of these psus please let me know what voltages they are showing through smart guardian. either a barebones base system or a whole system, with lights bells and whistles.

the voltages i was getting were on a base system. basically my sig, but minus the dvd rom and second HDD. no fans except the chipset and stock hs (and, i also had a nice 29 degree temp, with an open case, good sign? lol)

Regards, WoL-Shiver

You have to consider exactly WHERE the motherboard measures said voltage. Remember, we are drawing a lot of current through those motherboard traces. My 3000+ newcastle draws 89w @ 12v, so that's 7.41 amps of current. That is a significant amount of current to put through a circuit board. Since the traces are so small, they do have a some amount of resistance, and that causes a voltage drop.

Example -

Say we are drawing 3 amps across a trace with a resistance of 0.05 ohms. The voltage is irrelevant.

Voltage drop will be as follows

E=I*R

where E is the voltage drop, I is current, and R is resistance

E=3amps*.05ohms

E drop = .15v

So somthing that is 12.00v coming in on the molex connector would be read as 11.85v instead.

So if that little voltmeter that the bios and mbm report on may just be accurate, for where it is placed. It will just be lower than the reading you would get off of a DMM from a molex connector.

well seeing how the rest are getting closer to 12, ill make sure to get mine replaced.

oh, and prodigy

hiya guys. i just rmad my psu. its an antec trupower 550.

when you turn on a psu, and it frys some stuff, you dont turn it back on :)

and fracture, how is your 3200xl pros running? ive got the same. if you could pm me about it itd be great. thanks