New PC, New Problems

Well I just built a new PC this week and I am a first time builder so I can probably use some help with the problem I am having instead of trying any guess and check strategies.

I am having an issue when I try to play any game, the game starts to have major shearing problems both in the game menus occasionally, and in the game it will appear eventually. This is also accompanied by crackling audio whenever the game will start shearing out. I know this sounds like an issue almost directly linked to the video card but I have seemed to almost throw out the idea of it being related directly to the video card after trying to reinstall drivers and also switch between different drivers and no luck was found in doing that. I have so far tried the default drivers, Nvidia 77.77, 77.76, Special Leadtek 77.77 drivers, and Omega 66.93 drivers and of course the problem is likely not linked to the drivers now that I look at it.

Now I have expanded the possiblilties of what could be wrong beyond an issue of just a bad driver problem. So I wanted to ask if anyone thinks that this could be possibly connected to a motherboard issue or a ram problem. Potentially some setting in the BIOS could be causing this problem, but if anyone thinks that they might be able to help me it would be appreciated.

Well I just built a new PC this week and I am a first time builder so I can probably use some help with the problem I am having instead of trying any guess and check strategies.

I am having an issue when I try to play any game, the game starts to have major shearing problems both in the game menus occasionally, and in the game it will appear eventually. This is also accompanied by crackling audio whenever the game will start shearing out. I know this sounds like an issue almost directly linked to the video card but I have seemed to almost throw out the idea of it being related directly to the video card after trying to reinstall drivers and also switch between different drivers and no luck was found in doing that. I have so far tried the default drivers, Nvidia 77.77, 77.76, Special Leadtek 77.77 drivers, and Omega 66.93 drivers and of course the problem is likely not linked to the drivers now that I look at it.

Now I have expanded the possiblilties of what could be wrong beyond an issue of just a bad driver problem. So I wanted to ask if anyone thinks that this could be possibly connected to a motherboard issue or a ram problem. Potentially some setting in the BIOS could be causing this problem, but if anyone thinks that they might be able to help me it would be appreciated.

doesnt sound like ram but run memtest to rule it out. can you post screens of this?could at worst be bad gfx card ram but can you test the GT on another system to rule it out?

Guest bobyjo

Gee, this could run into an all night affair?

How did you install the OS and drivers etc?

I assume you are using onboard sound, these drivers are included with the chipset drivers etc, on the same cd.

Did you install the OS, then chipset drivers, then how did you finish the rest of everything?

Which drivers are you using for the video card?

I am using the drivers for the onboard sound that came on the chipset drivers disk, I am currently using the Forceware 77.77 video drivers from Leadtek's site and the first thing I did after installing the OS was installing the chipset drivers.

Guest bobyjo

OK, that is good. Now I am gonna ask some questions about the order in which you installed these drivers.

1 You installed the OS, I assume that everything seems good.

2 You installed the chipset drivers, including the NIC and sond drivers. Is it OK?

3 You install the antiviris, spyware and whatever you intend on using, then is the system still booting and running good?

4 You install the video card driver suite, reboot, is everythind still good?

If after you have done this and all is running good. The next thing is in games.

When you start a game, does the game set the game settings automatically or have you manually set these settings? I know some games set everything as high as can be. This may be OK, with some games, others may need to be tweaked to get things to play the way you want them to.

That order is pretty much correct, I installed the OS, the chipset drivers, sound drivers, and the Nvidia firewall. I then installed DirectX 9c and then the default drivers for the video card. I then updated to the latest Nvidia forceware, still noticed the problem, then I tried to backtrack by this time installing the previous drivers 77.76, and the problem persisted. I then tried to use the default ones off the cd that came with the video card which again did not work, then after that came the Omega 66.93 drivers followed by the Leadtek 77.77 drivers.

The problem seems to occur in every game I have tested so far, Battlefield 2, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Battlefield 1942, and the F.E.A.R. demo. Some of the games had more problems than others did but each game I tried seemed to have the problem.

Guest bobyjo

I would recommend that you remove the nVidia Firewall and Network manager. I installed these programs when I was setting up my system and I had a multitude of problems. Slow booting and instability was the most noticable. I removed those programs and the system was back to operating very good. You might try this and see how it works for you. If you have a router for your broadband, it has a firewall built in. Also Windows XP has a firewall that you can use if you want. I do not use any of these. I let the routers take care of everything. Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

I've been having issues with my system since aquiring it last Sunday and I must have installed WIN2k and XP about 4 times each and am currently installing 2K again on it. I am having troubles playing BF1942. I play the DesertCombat mod strictly though. I have been playing DC on my Celeron 1.3 the last 4 years and it never ran great but it still ran without incident. My old PC specs were just 1x512 pc100 or pc133 RAM + 1x128 , Radeon 9250 pci :( , cheap MSI-6368 mobo.

The settings would default to minimum for sound and medium for video in BF1942/DC. Using my new system it defaults to HIGH end sound and HIGH end video. I load the game and it loads quicker than my Celeron and it looks like a totally new game almost. (the gfx are much nicer and the sound aswell) But the first 2 or 3 times I played for a minute or two and it crashed to the desktop. Than it would either do it again or freeze where there is nothing I could do to escape without having to power off. I've been using the latest drivers from Nvidia. I have read forum after forum about similar problems but I am still trying to find someone with the same issue as mine with BF42 and the same system.

When I play with the settings in MIGHT run a bit better but than it'll act up again. I managed to set the settings to full when I play sometimes and it works than I may have to set them to low to play. There are times when it won't work at ANY setting. The sound likes to delay and echo and go all strange aswell. Like a constand clipping of a game sound repeated. That tells me its gonna freeze soon.

In case you ask what I do exactly when I fresh install I follow the steps very carefully. I install my OS, usually 2k. Once its up and running I put in the mobo cd and install the CHIPSET drivers. I than get all my updates from WINUpdate and reboot a whole bunch of times. When those are in order I install the drivers for my video card off the cd it came with. After that I install BF1942, the mod and the patches.

I have been longing for a decent system (it is decent to me compared to my old one) to be able to play BF1942/Desertcombat @ higher settings. It pains me this is happening. Hopefully someone has some knowledge on the issue.

Could it be I'm using my crummy pci 128 Radeon 9250 in my new Athlon? It is only temporary as I included in my signature. It may be the reason, but I don't see why a crummy video card in a newer system won't work right.

Thanks

At this point, I would suggest getting a better video card.

Nothing less than a Radeon 9800 Pro DDR128.

Video cards are not all that expensive at this time, unless you are going for a X1900 XTX or so.

The X800 line is very reasonable and perform great in gaming.

I would suggest a X800 XT or close to this card.

Let the games automatically set the video settings, check where the level is.

I would suggest downloading the 5.12 set of CAT's, this is the last set that will use the std control panel.

This is just my suggestion, if you want to utilize the CCC then the 6.1 driver set is available from ATI.

You could check the www.rage3d.com site to download these drivers.