Ultra-D Chipset Fan heating.

Hiya ppl i was a bit worryed about my chipset fan bing lose i was wundering if anybody esles was? :confused: the chipset haet gets up too 58c . shuold i be okie? any advice will help thank you

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19469

somone asked that question in another thread, there was various advice given.

I took my chipsett fan off and scraped that crappy yellow thermal pad off the back of the fan. Thus far thats the only complaint about this board I have.

Cleaned the chip itself with a little alcohol, being very careful not to chip it.

I applied AS5 and replace the chipset fan, its not really loose but it needs to be seated well, make sure the pushpins are seated correctly.

I still had chipset tempps of 45C-55C, i corrected it buy adding a 120mm fan blowing under the video card to remove the dead hot air pocket around the chipset.

My temps are 34C-40C max now, i can post pic if you like of the way I did it.

AS5 is high quality. I recommend Arctic Ceramique. If you mess up it won't conduct electricity at least. You can squirt it all o ver your motherboard and stuff won't fry. If you do that with AS5, zap zap boom boom.

I reserve AS5 for CPU only. GPU and Chipset get Ceramique.

I ceramiqued the DFI fan and temps were around 40/41 load. I put on a vantec Iceberq4 copper cooler and it's still 40/41.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/arcticsilver5.html

AS5

as you can see that blue 120mm fan I just wedged under me HDD cage and its held nicley, it helps the two 80mm fans pull in air also I would imagine. Send a nice current of air towards the zalman in the 6800gt and keeps a nice breeze going by the chipset, bought me like 11C

I was using the blue 120mm fan as a cpu fan but it was only 2500rpm and 70 cfm, works great as a case fan tho .

Also there's pics of the chip itself and the yucky yellow thermal pad I scraped off

DMO580 is correct about AS5 , make sure you only get it on the chip and not the surrounding areas, Keep it neat, its more risky then ceramique but its more effective if done correctly I think.