Sign in to follow this  
Jaxidian

TWINX 2048-3200 - Confused about which RAM to buy

So I decided I wanted to get a pair of 1GB XMS sticks and started searching for good prices. Though Newegg doesn't have the best price on them all, they're close and allows us to relatively easily compare the different options. To my surprise, there were SIX different options for 2x1024 XMS!! What's the difference? I've spotted some differences but don't know what the others are.

Newegg 2x1024 XMS Options

Corsair's XMS Page

From what I've been able to gather, the differences are with the SPD Timings and Voltages but this alone doesn't create 6 unique options so if you can fill in the gaps, I'd appreciate it greatly! Below are the timings/voltages that I've seen on both sites (they don't always agree):

TWINX 2048-3200:

Newegg: 3,4,4,[email protected]

Corsair: 3,4,4,[email protected]?

TWINX 2048-3200PT:

Newegg: 3,4,4,[email protected]

Corsair: 3,4,4,[email protected]?

TWINX 2048-3200PRO:

Newegg: 3,3,3,[email protected]

Corsair: 3,3,3,[email protected]?

TWINX 2048-3200C2:

Newegg: 2,?,?,[email protected]

Corsair: 2.5,3,3,[email protected]

TWINX 2048-3200C2PT:

Newegg: 2,?,?,[email protected]

Corsair: 2.5,3,3,[email protected]

TWINX 2048-3200C2PRO:

Newegg: 2,?,?,[email protected]? w/LEDs

Corsair: ?,?,?,[email protected]? (Not listed)

If anybody had any other information about these models, what makes one different from the other, and which specifications are most likely accurate (as in can I hit those timings at the Newegg voltages?), and some information about the 3200C2PRO, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Jax

Just as an update, I went to Fry's and priced things out there. Looks like their pricing is butt backwards and they have the TWINX2048-3200C2 for $309 and the TWINX2048-3200PT for $399. I just bought the C2's and am happy with that.

Now comes the tweaking time. :D

Does it overclock well?

So far, not yet but I suspect it will. I got v1.2 which supposedly has CH6 chips on it. I have only gotten memtest stable at 230MHz (1:1) but can successfully post at 270MHz (1:1). So not successful yet but I'm hopeful. :)

If you wanna help me, check out this thread. :)

I doubt those are Winbond-die chips on those 1 GB sticks. I don't think any of the BH or CH die chips are dense enough to make a 1 GB module. They're more likely Infineon B-5 like the sticks in my sig and the Patriot 2-3-2-5 stuff. It's still good stuff.