Sign in to follow this  
BloodyWolf

Cpu Overclocking....

So, what are you guys OC'ing these days?

I keep hearing about people OC'ing like 600mhz without water cooling.... WOW!

Got stories? Post them!

I guess my craziest OC'd CPU was my old AMD 850 that was turned to a 975.... It was slot A and I drilled the plastic around the CPU creating a "Swiss Cheese" effect. I mounted 2 rear and 2 front fans. If I went above 975...

That was the first Athlon that I had overclocked.... I guess that's why it stands out from the rest.

So far my best OC would be my xp1600 at 2ghz with 400fsb but my PSU wouldn't supply the correct Vcore so I have to get a new PSU before keeping it at 2ghz.

So far my best OC would be my xp1600 at 2ghz with 400fsb but my PSU wouldn't supply the correct Vcore so I have to get a new PSU before keeping it at 2ghz.

Dude... that's sweet.

Can I make a suggestion?

Ennermax 350+ or a Antec 350+.....

I had some cheapo PSU back in 2001 and swapped it with my Enermax... it rules!

i have only JUST, last night, replaced my beloved intel celeron 300A which was OC'd to 450mhz with a barton 2500+... that little celeron has been crankin away for atleast 5 years now ;) it was lovin life... and still is... who said overclocked chips have a shortened life span??!

Rob

LOL today i over clocked my 1.8ghz p4 to 3.1ghz *without any cooling devices* it booted up in the 75 celcius range lol i changed it back to 2.5 very quickly though lol

Can I make a suggestion?

Ennermax 350+ or a Antec 350+.....

Thanx wolf. I have some cheapo 500watt but it can't do crap. would an Antec 350 do the job though? I want to run my proc. at 2ghz 400fsb, 1gb PC3200, Ti4200, pci modem, dvd, cd-rw, and 9 fans, 3 of them are Smart Case fans II. As well as about 5 usb devices. Do you think that an Antec 350 would be able to power all that stuff? or would you have a different recommendation? Thanx!

for all the things you got i would get atleast a 450watt

and to date my best oc was my xp2400+ at 2250 and low and behold i fried that chip when it wasnt oc'ed lol

C400 slot 1, with an alpha heatsink and 2 delta fans. This was an engineering sample (unlocked mulitplier). Dropped it on the good ol asus P2B, which has actually led to 2 of the best OC's I've personally had. Got it running at 9x105mhz.

Same setup was actually my first OC with different CPU. Fresh off the line, PII 350 retail (retail cooled too). Keep in mind this is before the days of 133mhz ram, boards or anything to go along with it). ran that little monster at 466mhz.

The OC that made $$$ on ebay: PIII 500 newest and fastest thing out there. C366 chips that ran at 550mhz were not heard of. Thanks to matsonic, skytech (let me hand pick the cpus) and AOC for giving me the tool to make it work. sure enough with a good enough cooler at default voltage they'd do 550mhz stable. many higher.

The last great OC'n board I've had (it's been a while since I bothered). Asus P3C2000. this board was supposed to go back to Asus due to a recall. The whole i820 with sdram disaster. Anyway it started off with a PIII 550e. Upto 733, then 825mhz stock cooled. Eventually got bored with that little bugger, and tried my hand at a PIII 1ghz (7.5x133 stock). Got my alpha hs out for this one. Up went the FSB until it stopped at 185 (the board wouldn't go any higher). ran stable until I got stupid and cooked the mobo. Asus being the great company they are, replaced it with thier newer i815 based Cusl2-c. once again 185mhz fsb was easy, and I could get upto 195fsb before I started having some issues due to heat.

my only real worthwhile AMD overclock came on my bro's computer. Classic Slot A tbirdy. 600mhz stock, modded to run at 1ghz with MAJOR air cooling. used the slotmount alpha HS, 2 delta fans, 3 smaller chipset fans mounted on the back of the cpu casing (which I actually cut holes the size of quarters in so the pcb could get air). Sadly it's days ended a few months ago. PSU exploded, killled everything but the SB live (I don't know how).

Edited by bigred

i have my 2500 cranked to a 500mhz overclock! i am happy with that, befoe this chip I had a 2000 palamino that would only oc about 150mhz......

had my xp1700+jiuhb 0302 dut3c overclocked to 2700mhz on a maze3 in1 with a 226watt pelt meanwell drive bay p/s 1/2 tubing 2 dtek pro cores could post in windows @3ghz but trying to open anytrhing would restart . i was thinking of stacking 2 226watt pelts and seeing if i could get higher but a guy offered me 500 bucks for the setup and i sold it . going str8 water or vapor chill. the pelt set up was to much to take care of watcxhing condinsation

Nothing big but my first real oc, 2200+ 180fsb x 11.5 @1.75v. So a 200mhz oc not bad for a poor ocing chip.

i have a 430 enermax that runs 4 ccfl, 4 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans, 1024mb ram, 2 hardrives in raid, and my cpu oc to 2.0 mhz @1.75. No hint of any problem.

my biggest oc is with my 1700+ jiuhb dlt3c 0319 processor. right now it is at 2400Mhz on air (slk800u w/SFII) with a vcore of 1.75v. i did try it out on the vaporchill system for little while but then decided that it was better to have two systems at or above 2.4Ghz rather than having one over 2.5Ghz and the other at 2.3Ghz (since the greater the core frequency is, the more you will have to increase your core frequency in order to see a noticeable difference). and i always run the radiator fan my vapochill at 35%-40%. anything upto around 70% is barable for sometime, but running it at 100% hurts (would hate to imagine running the fan at 100% all the time) :O . so i don't really know how far i could have stably pushed this processor, but don't care enough to find out :lol: . maybe after i've gone deaf in both ears i'll give it a go.