ACPI & HAL's Explained

thanks for the info about this. i noticed my board too was on acpi uniprocessor... i changed it to advanced configuration and power interface (acpi) pc, the dangerous way without reinstalling windows, and it came back up with no errors and i didn't have to reinstall drivers. i guess i'll see in the next few days if it improves stability (which was already really firm to begin with). great thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the recommendet HAL setting (after a few wrong installations and reading the last page *hint* scrolling, I installed the correct HAL. But after installing nForce 5.1 (complete but without sounddrivers) it didn't startet well.

When the blue bar appears its loading but the HDD led shows no activity.

Yo guys

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. On my system, winxp sp2 with newest nvidia nf2 drivermix 6.39 also sw-ide drivers, there wasn't any problem in changing the hal driver. It was as easy as upgrading to a new lan driver for all i can say. There was really nothing to it. Just plain and easy and above all painless, only 2 reboots and whama that was the change. But i guess it's different on different systems.

And, does this 'bug' only apply's to this mobo or is it a problem in general with windows.

And, does this 'bug' only apply's to this mobo or is it a problem in general with windows.

I had this bug after installing the nForce 5.10 with apic disabled in Bios (stopping at the blue bear) an even had it after changing the hal in windows and even after chosing the correct one during installation. Ive installed everything which is offered insted of the audiodrivers.

• 1 month later...

wow

although i have been a member n this Kicka$$ forum but i have just seen this very very very important thread

thanks shinobi for the info

EDIT:

for the record i just updated my WinXP without the need to do a fresh install or re-install my drivers and the system is fine now

• 2 weeks later...

Crap. Mine is wrong.......................

I will say one thijng about this forum I keep learning new things.

Time for a backup. I suppose I should have 2 drives. A small Raptor for the OS and so on and the Maxtor for data. I kinda like that idea.

How do I back up all my drivers anyway?

God I am such a noob.............................

Thanks

Syn

• 1 month later...

Correction:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC is the correct HAL/PC type for single-processor systems with APIC mode enabled in BIOS and an APIC-aware OS like XP. This is not a 'bug', it is required for XP to properly support the benefits of APIC.

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC is the correct HAL/PC type for single-processor systems using ACPI mode with APIC disabled (or not supported).

In a very small number of configurations where APIC function is broken or buggy, APIC may cause problems but this is not an inherent flaw in APIC itself rather than a design flaw in the BIOS code and/or motherboard design.

• 2 weeks later...

In Windows XP installation, i press F5, but the choice is Standard PC or Other. If i choose other, it will install an ACPI Uniprocessor. So i choose Standard PC, instead i get Standard PC installed, and as the consequence, everytime i turn the rig off, it will not automatically shut down itself. As Windows shutting down, in the end of the process the title of "your computer is ready to be turned off" shows in the monitor, then i heve to manually shut it down by pressing the power button (remember 486 DX days ? :shake: ). So, what should i do to fix this ? :confused:

In Windows XP installation, i press F5, but the choice is Standard PC or Other. If i choose other, it will install an ACPI Uniprocessor. So i choose Standard PC, instead i get Standard PC installed, and as the consequence, everytime i turn the rig off, it will not automatically shut down itself. As Windows shutting down, in the end of the process the title of "your computer is ready to be turned off" shows in the monitor. So, what should i do to fix this ? :confused:

Spurs, your making the same mistake that lots of us have made. When the box comes up with the choice, what you should do is use the up-down arrow keys to scroll, then you will see Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC. That's the one that you choose, by hitting enter.

Spurs, your making the same mistake that lots of us have made. When the box comes up with the choice, what you should do is use the up-down arrow keys to scroll, then you will see Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC. That's the one that you choose, by hitting enter.

Hoaah, now i know, thanx a lot KitFit ! You're the torch bearer ! thumb.gif

There is an easier solution for this wee problem a lot of folks make and that is too make an unatended instal xp cd, all you got to do is stick the winnt.sif file in the i386 directory on the xp cd with your Advanced ACPI choice as the default HAL......IF i got time i will post a walk through on how to do it.......

As well you can do all the other sheet with the winnt.sif file like stick your reg number in etc, and losts of other stuff, dont install games by default turn off fax dont install with firewall.....blah blah the list is endless, you could also slipstream yer drivers in there as well.....

I keep a Standard NO service pack Windows XP pro ripped to the harddrive......I also have a SP2 version with a SP2 pack aside as well.

Reason is i slipstream all the windows hotfixes in there so you need a clean no service pack disc to do that kinda,

Slipstream SP2 into the clean XP and then slipstream the service packs etc and the winnt.sif this way when i do a clean install of XP i have all the uptodate Hotfixes and SP2 at the time,,,,burn to DVDRW or CDRW to not waste discs etc...

ONce you start doing this its easy, and bye bye Windows Update site........

Plus you get your Sista right first time with install and no messing around so much........

I will start tonight doing a walk through might take a few days and then i will post it along with links etc to where you can get the hotfixes etc.......examples of winnt.sif files etc......