ACPI & HAL's Explained

i have done it without installing windows, but from device manager, and for me it worked

great!!! thanks to changing HAL and the explanations by shinobi, i'm able now to reach stable 250x10 or 242x10.5, and if i could take my temp down like at least 40 degrees idle

it will go up more.

really great thanks to shinobi, the guru support forum

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there snowpro! I notice you have the same CPU as I do. Atleast the same year and week. Mine is 0503 TPMW. I'm running it fine on 10*250 now and the vcore is at 1,75v.

Anyhow its nice in a way to see I'm not the only one with the same problem. And if I try to do as linears4 does right from windows it just hangs the same way. I think its strange that it doesn't work for us because we do have the same board as everyone else, and same kind of CPU. I wonder... Well I notice now that everyone? that has success with this are using DFI Infinity? Or are there those who have succeeded with this on a LPB?

hmmph, my onboard lan has never worked since i took possession of the board, Im debating purchasing another HDD and keeping this board now and continuing to use it along with my new a64 and MSI board, I guess Ill try and swap this HAL upon the fresh reinstall when I do it, maybe it will make the LAN work finally, and I can up the FSB some

good tips, I shall book mark this and remember it when the time comes

I just tried to do a fresh install of xp but for some reason after I hit f5, the menu only gives standard pc and other to choose from. I choose other, but then it asks for a floppy. I'm confused? Am I supposed to have a floppy or is there something amiss here?

I'll try it again, and see what happens.

I just tried to do a fresh install of xp but for some reason after I hit f5, the menu only gives standard pc and other to choose from. I choose other, but then it asks for a floppy. I'm confused? Am I supposed to have a floppy or is there something amiss here?

I'll try it again, and see what happens.

scroll for up or down i forget which one but it's there:)

Have any of you attempted to install/reinstall while your system is OCed? Which is usually considered to be just asking for corruption, errors and etc. I just wanted to throw that out there, just in case anyone's trying to do it that way (maybe old news).

When I install critical software/applications I drop back down to stock and known ultra stable settings, run Memtest from floppy for at least 15-30 loops on test #5, make sure all the BIOS options are configured properly once again, then I install.

One thing I've found that appears to be inhibiting to OCing and possibly having other effects as well, is the BIOS Virus Detection feature. I disabled that a long time ago. I've also heard that using the NForce IDE drivers is undesirable in most situations. As they may enhance the possibility for problems. I've stayed away from them altogether.

Personally, maybe this isn't the best way to go about installing the ACPI/HAL driver as the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC, but I switched over to that driver after everything was installed. Now I'm not saying that this is the way it should be done or that everyone ought to go ahead and try it this way, but I figured I'd try it (out of pure chance that it would work) and it did work okay for me. It may or may not work for everybody that way though. Also, I still had APIC enabled in the BIOS. Basically what I did was, switch to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC in Device Manager (had to direct Windows to the driver manually), rebooted twice for it to take hold and in order for the system/Windows to reallocate resources for the ACPI driver. Then when that was done, I restarted went back into the BIOS and disabled APIC (which may or may not need to be done?).

I'm unsure if any of that is worth saying. :confused: And maybe its more likely to be overly redundant. :shake:

Hopefully there's something worthwhile in there.

I usually do my install at stock settings,but just got done doing another one at 200Mhz over w/no probs,I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but the 1st install I didn't choose ACPI and couln't connect w/Lan,on the next 3 I chose it from the list and had no probs

Yeah, I hear you playah. I didn't need to reinstall, but if I do reinstall at some point again on this board (possibly others too), then I will definitely setup the ACPI PC driver initially when I install Windows. I would have done so if I needed to reinstall when I tried it the first time, but it was good to go when I just switched it over (months ago). Thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

I also switched over a friends system to ACPI PC from what it was at. It was a much older system with a KT266A board and a Duron processor. Heh, it actually ran much better after doing so. That was kind of neat, but I know doing so on certain boards/systems may be hit and miss. He was happy with the improvement though.

Lol, Owcraftsman made that mistake too :D

You have to scroll up to select it Hobag :)

OMG, I'm retarded. I tried doing it the second time and realized that I could scroll back up, but I didn't want to stop the install before I could repost that I'm an IDIOT!

Thanks...

Although I do have ACPI pc installed now, with APIC turned off in bios. Everything is running fine now and the install went through without a hitch, even with my system left at 10x240 during the fresh install.

I'll play with it some more and see if I get better/worse OCs.

You were able to get a fresh install with 10x240... Nice, if you're not ripping off my leg and throwing it 30 feet away from me :shake: , hopefully the ACPI deal will assist your ventures. I have installed OCed too, but I really don't recommend it though and usually drop down for OS and other 'important' apps.