ACPI & HAL's Explained

Well I'll be .....runs smoother and can boot into and surf at 225x11=2475 :)

Thanks Shinobi ... now I'll have something to fiddle on this weekend !! :P

I changed the parameters from control panel>system>device..., but first had to reset mem to spd timings and use fsb166x11 or default for my desktop Barton 2500+, just to lessen any chances of surprises if changing in an overclock state.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm i thought you would've had that done ages ago Emil ;), i have to run the same as i get landrops at 250fsb, if its around the 230fsb then i can run the default HAL. SO HEELLL KNOW i aint running no 230fsb so bye bye default HAL and hello 250fsb LOL :)

Why are you using Standard PC?

Did you try clicking "Install From A List Or Specific Location" and then "Don't Search, I Will Choose The Driver To Install"?

yes, it shows no drivers. even if i unclick show compatible it shows nothing.

and i am using Win XP PRO.

yes, it shows no drivers. even if i unclick show compatible it shows nothing.

and i am using Win XP PRO.

I think I remember pressing F7 or something during a past XP install when it asked "press F6 for RAID" and it forced Standard PC with no driver options in device manager. This was a couple of years ago so I'm not positive.

I switched to Advanced Configuration and Power Interface a little while ago and it takes XP forever to load and then, once I get to the desktop, it takes another forever for my firewall program to load. Also, my pci nic doesn't connect to the interweb unless I disable and enable it. I'm not sure what's going on here.

I think I remember pressing F7 or something during a past XP install when it asked "press F6 for RAID" and it forced Standard PC with no driver options in device manager. This was a couple of years ago so I'm not positive.

hmmm i might of fit f7 by accident

hmmm i might of fit f7 by accident

That has to be what happened.

If a BIOS update does not resolve the issue, or if you are not able to obtain an updated BIOS version for the computer, you may want to install Windows XP with a Standard PC Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). To do this, press F7 when you are prompted to press F6 while the Windows XP Setup program is running. Specifically, you are prompted to press F6 after the Setup program restarts the computer for the first time. For additional information about how to force the Standard PC HAL, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

299340 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299340/) How to force a Hardware Abstraction Layer during an upgrade or an installation of Windows XP

Mmmm i thought you would've had that done ages ago Emil ;), i have to run the same as i get landrops at 250fsb, if its around the 230fsb then i can run the default HAL. SO HEELLL KNOW i aint running no 230fsb so bye bye default HAL and hello 250fsb LOL :)

:sweat:I'm getting Rusty !!!! :P

Control panel>System>Hardware>Device manager

>SCSI and RAID controllers

>click+ ...Silicon Image Sil 3114 SataRAID Controller ...

right click on Update Driver>Hardware Update Wizard -

Install from a List or Specific Location

>Next- Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install

>Next- Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATARaid controller

Version: 1.0.0.8 (11/2/2004) ....just follow the instructions.

This presupposes that you have downloaded the 1.0.0.8

extracted it to a direcotry for your access from the Control Panel ... ....

Download it here: http://biosmedic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13#13

Try reading this Linears.

Did you change ACPI during a fresh install John? Thats the best and recommended way to do it. Switching in Windows screws up your drivers so you have to reinstall them.

Performance wise there is no difference. I have done tons of testing using both HAL's and they are exactly the same for me, but Advanced Configuration & Power Interface (ACPI) PC has the edge where Windows stability is concerned.