ACPI & HAL's Explained

Thought i'd post this for all those guys wanting to know the difference between the different HAL's and why its better to switch from the HAL that XP defaults to on these boards...

For some reason XP defaults to ACPI Uniprocessor PC during a fresh install on these DFI's. ACPI Uniprocessor PC applies to an ACPI multiple-processor motherboard thats running with a single processor installed. Now obviously, these DFI's aren't MultiProcessor boards ;) Using this HAL has been known to cause issues for a lot of users.

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC applies to a single processor motherboard running with a single processor. THIS is the one we want installed. You need to install it manually when doing a fresh install of XP by pressing F5 when it asks you to press F6 if you want to install RAID drivers and selecting it from the list... If you want to install RAID drivers too then you need to press both F5 & F6. Even if you aren't experiencing and issues its still best to select and install this HAL during a fresh install.

Here is a list of all the HAL's and what they are for:

• ACPI Multiprocessor PC

Applies to a multiple-processor ACPI computer.

• ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Applies to an ACPI multiple-processor board but with a single processor installed.

• Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Applies to a single processor motherboard with single processor.

• Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible

Applies to a Compaq SystemPro computer.

• MPS Uniprocessor PC

Applies to non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard with a single processor installed.

• MPS Multiprocessor PC

Applies to non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running.

• Standard PC

Applies to any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. The CPU may be a 386, a 486, a Pentium, a Pentium II, or a Pentium III.

• Standard PC with C-Step i486

• Other

How Can I Tell What HAL I Have Installed?

In XP open up Device Manager and look under Computer. It will show you which HAL you currently have installed on your system, like this:

hal6ny.png

Loggan, maybe something you can add to your DFI LanParty B/Infinity guide?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly, ppl have experienced issues such as Lan and Sound drop outs and some problems overclocking yes. I never really had any major issues when running ACPI Uniprocessor PC myself, but i do find my system does seem to run overall more smoothly since installing the correct HAL.

You can change it in the Device Manager yes, but it isn't always successful and is better to do during a fresh install... If you do decide to do it that way i'd definitely backup all your data first just incase... You'll probably need to reinstall all your drivers too.

HAL means Hardware Accelaration Layer.

(Now you know, simple eh?) (um..., did'nt see your quote dippyskoodlez ;) )

(hehe, maybe it was abstraction layer)

Changing from the default hal is smoother overall, because it'll run RIGHT :).

Though, using the default IS faster, but you must be stable in it to make any use of it.

I'm not stable using the default one so...

Use it if you can, otherwise make your switch to apic off.

Apic was probably desinged for multible proccessors in mind, using dos btw, that's one use.

But it does not really mean you are in multible proccessor more with a single proccesor, just that you added or switched over to a diffrent PIC.

Matter of fact it's more correct to use the default ;), would be better on us all really to use the default.

Software would work better too, it seems to if you don't count the times it messes up(probably will).

This is a porccessor thing btw, so you will have to check for it yourself, this has nothing to do with the board.

Though, cooling the south bridge better has a simuler effect, ie south bridge and agp bridge act better.

The majority of the problems seem to be pci related, for instance your hd will crash, and result in errors in the scanboot thingy in windows nt.

Also networking will tend to lock, beit lan or modem.

Agp will lock, ie nvdisp bsod's.

Tons of odd things will happen, the higher the fsb, the harder it is to leave apic on.

Lowering the agp speed will not help you, unless you allready screwed up and did'nt have enough voltage going through it.

(Some cards will work out of the box, others will have memory that hogs voltage, and you will need to add a step or 2 to the agp voltage)

Changing from the default hal is smoother overall, because it'll run RIGHT :). Though, using the default IS faster, but you must be stable in it to make any use of it.

Matter of fact it's more correct to use the default ;), would be better on us all really to use the default.

Two questions, first, would this apply to us on the NF4 64 bit also?

And which is it NEO, that you are suggesting?