Venice 3200+, NF4 Ultra-D, OCZ Premier 3200+ 4x512 MB

Guest theman_merged

Guest theman

Well, I figured this would be the place to figure out my issues. Right now I'm running everything stock, and I'm have a load of problems. Namely my system prefers to blue screen or completely lock while playing any games that are fairly graphic/cpu/mem intensive. This goes for WoW, Battlefield2, HL2, etc. I know its my memory as I can clock it down to DDR266, 3-4-4-10 2T and It'll run fairly stable. But the Venice is suppose to run DDR400 correct? I know I'll have to relax the timings from the default 2.5-3-3-7 to run 4 sticks at DDR400. I'm hoping you all can throw me some advice as OCZ hasn't been overly helpful on this issue.

Current settings:

DDR266

3-4-4-10

2T

2.8V (default 2.6V)

This seems to run stable, but so does DDR400 3-4-4-10 2T 2.8V when running memtest86 and prime95. Only time it locks up is when I go into a game.

I just finished RMAing one of the sticks of RAM as it was erroring. As far as I can tell the rest are ok. The lockups aren't returning any useful information. They just lock and the sound freezes and I have to manually reset the PC.

I'm not trying to overclock this at all, I just want the system to run stable at DDR400 with stock CPU speeds and RAM timings as needed.

Have you tried to get it running stable using only 2 sticks instead of 4? You really want to try to eliminate all possible causes. I don't doubt that the sticks may be OK, I just think it would be worth a shot.

You may also want to change to a newer bios, I can't remember if the 3/10 supports Venice properly or not.

Guest theman

While I RMAed one of the 4 sticks, I ran 2 of them and this is the settings that it ran stable at:

2 Sticks

1T Command Rate

3-4-4-8

DDR333

I'm now back to 4 sticks. Just flashed to 704-2 and im running:

4 Sticks

2T Command Rate

3-4-4-10

DDR400

Ran memtest86+ for 50 loops on test 5. No issues. Just finished prime95 for 14 hours 31 mins with 0 errors and 0 warnings. Some how though, I think its going to still crash in HL2, WoW, BF2, etc.

I'll post back with my results.

==========================

EDIT

Well loaded up HL2 and it didn't even get into the map before it locked up the PC. Screwy is all I got to say.

==========================

EDIT

Also, how would I find out if my RAM is TCCD, BH-5, etc? I had considered looking at the chips, but they are covered by the heat spreaders and a nice warranty void if removed sticker (really hate to do that).

Guest theman

Just tried out a 3800+ Venice to make sure it wasn't a bad CPU. Still having the same issue.

This is a joke. :mad:

Guest theman

This is pathetic, I've never had this much trouble with a brand new stock setting PC, and believe me, I've built my fair share in the past.

Guest gandalf

Maybe you should try flashing to bios 623-3 or 510-2. It is not required, but it may help. What are your bios settings? These boards generally require tweaking to get them running stable. You can pm andyocz to get some settings for your ram.

Guest theman

I actually flashed to the 704-2 bios earlier. The 623 flashes ok, but Windows will not load with it. The 310 and anything past 623 work fine. I'll try the 510-2 though and see whats up.