Sign in to follow this  
zero-fill

Stable RAM for a good price

I am planning on upgrading to 2GB of RAM and wanted some opinions. I mainly just want something I can count on to be stable and am not too worried about overclocking it or getting super tight timings. Can I get some recommendations on a 2GB kit that will fulfil my previously mentioned needs for a good price?

I am looking at the OCZ Platinum Kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227210 , but I was wondering if there is anything cheaper that would still meet my needs.

wow I've never seen anyone suggest corsair and/or value anything

Maybe try looking in the OCDB section and searching for a setup with 2gb's. Then you'd atleast have a place to start when tweeking all these settings, overclocking or not.

Also zero-fill, you need to update your bios to support your cpu, I think.

If a good price is important, then maybe just get another 2x512 of the same you have now??

I can heartily reccommend the mushkin blueline 2gb set of 3200 @ 5,2,3,2.0 (1t) I have mine in the orange slots and it does exactly what it says on the tin. :) If you're loaded you use crucial ballistix but what you gain in frequency you will lose in latency. I believe OCZ and patriot also do a fine low latency 2gb kit.

Also zero-fill, you need to update your bios to support your cpu, I think. If a good price is important, then maybe just get another 2x512 of the same you have now??

Do you mean update my BIOS for my RAM? My BIOS works fine right now with my current configuration. I've thought about getting 2 more 512MB sticks, but I can't find the same kind I currently have for sale anywhere, they are pretty old. I don't really want to mix different types of DIMMs, so I am thinking I may just pass my RAM to one of my other systems and get a new 2GB kit.

Also can someone give me a link to the Mushkin Blueline 2GB kit, I found a 1GB kit, but I couldn't find a 2GB kit.

Thanks for the input guys! :)

Read up on this 2x1GB kits roundup

http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modl...rtid=163&page=1

With prices starting below $200, there is very little reason not consider jumping on the two gigabyte bandwagon. The larger modules help significantly smooth out the experience when swapping between large programs and games. Hopefully you now have enough information to make your next purchasing decision, but if you still need my recommendation I have created what I think is the three most typical builders.

Budget Builder

OCZ's Performance memory wins hands down for my choice for budget builders. While there are some less expensive memory available, the ability to give a decent 16% headroom and nice heat spreaders may be worth the extra money. If you have still have extra money, throw it into buying a better CPU or video card which will have much more tangible performance improvements.

Fastest Stock System

With only half of readers being overclockers, the other half must be running at stock speeds. While OCZ's Platinum and Mushkin perform nearly identically, I will let price be the tie breaker. At this time OCZ's Platinum can save you a few dollars. Since these prices are going to change after the review, compare them to see who is still comes out ahead. If there is any chance you may change your stance on overclocking, Mushkin is worth the extra money.

Extreme Overclocker

At 272 MHz, Corsair's TWINX2048-3200C2 is screaming fast for one gigabyte modules. With a 36% overclock, Corsair simply leaves all the other modules in the dust. I find it amazing that Corsair can consistently outperform all the other memory competitors when it comes to performance. What I found common amongst the memory is that the one gigabyte modules really dislike too much voltage. So while many other 512 MB modules can take 3.0V easily, the higher voltages does not gain you much on this size memory. None of the memory tested gained any extra performance above 2.8V. So no matter which of these modules you purchase, I would start at about 2.6V and work up to about 2.7V. Only the most zealous overclockers will stick with the smaller but faster half gigabyte modules.

If you do not fall into one of the categories, I will leave it up to you to analyze my results and decide for yourself.

I have the Platinum myself, it would give you the best stock settings with tight timings. But if you don't care about timings and want the cheapest what's wrong with OCZ Performance or Value?

As always, excellent advice and information from the members of these forums, thanks guys!

I guess after looking over everything, I wouldn't really save all that much money by going with some Value series RAM, so I guess I will go with the OCZ Platinum. Newegg has a $27 rebate which will knock it down to around $237 (which is cheaper than Newegg's price on the Performance RAM). Thanks again.

Corsair has TCCD modules in some versions of their memory which would be why it was recommended. I know the majority goes with their so-called great OCZ memory. I havn't seen anyone else recommend G.Skill.