Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About UnheardEcho

  • Rank
  1. I never overclocked anything on the board, and the memory is what I've been using with both of the boards. The PSU was brand new when I built the computer, from a solid brand. The only changes I made were to set the ram to stock speeds instead of auto in the bios, and to change the fan temperature limits to provide a bit more cooling. As for the cooling, I got some good guys at anandtech to help me orient the fans the best way. I too find it strange that I've been through three boards (the first one doesn't count since it was DOA) with two possibly dying by my hand. If I kill the ASUS I'm about to get then by all means I'll have to apologize to DFI and figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong. How much of a factor can dust be? Is it capable of shorting out the motherboard or other parts if it accumulates enough? Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this problem and any others that I've brought here during my time.
  2. Out of curiosity, is there any chance of getting an RMA from DFI; I think it's been over a year since this one was replaced. Sadly I've had nothing but bad luck with DFI and won't be buying any more of their products.
  3. I tried again after a multi-hour cmos clear and got the same results I've been getting. Haven't tried memtest yet, not sure if it'll make it that far.
  4. I'll try booting now, it's been clearing for awhile. My mistake, could have swore it was always on. I'll see how this goes, thanks for the help so far everyone.
  5. The computer hasn't posted since the last crash I mentioned I removed the two 512 sticks and replaced them with a third, single 512 stick that I used to use; the computer still would not post. Thanks for the help Barney
  6. I was cruising the internet yesterday when my computer froze solid, crashing to a BSOD. I was leaving for work anyway and left it off. Right before I left I tried turning it on to check something and it wouldn't boot. When I got home I tried turning it on again after opening it up and cutting power. It started up normally and crashed to BSOD again after a minute or two. I was able to get it to boot a couple more times, where it crashed at the XP login screen, again to BSOD. I opened it up and played around (disconnecting non-essential parts, clearing CMOS etc) but have been unable to get it to boot ever since. When I press the power button, there is a 1-1.5 second delay, then the fans spin up, hard drive spins up but no normal "beep" that signifies it's really turning on - no image on my monitor at all. The most obvious thing to me is that when the computer is off, only the lower red LED is lit, not the one by the RAM. When I attempt to turn it on, it will light, but does not remain lit after the computer is off. I'm taking this as a sign to do a major upgrade anyway, but if I could get it fixed while I pick out parts and get them shipped it would be helpful, as well as allowing me to use it as a secondary computer w/o having to buy a cheap replacement s754 board. Thanks for any help or ideas. As a side note, this is my third Nf3 LANParty 250GB that I'm on. The first was semi-DOA but the second went down in a similar manner (can't remember, might have been RAM LED as well). Is there some factor I am introducing to the computer that is killing these boards?
  7. I plugged in only the SATA drive and the bare minimum and it booted in 2-3 bars every time! I then added the rest of my peripherals and found it hung on my CD-RW drive, which increased load times significantly. The DVD-ROM added about .5-1 bar at loading which is negligible. When I started with the bare minimum on the Hitachi IDE, it still took forever. I ran the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and it came up with an error saying that the drive's S.M.A.R.T monitoring thingy wasn't working, but that was the only error. Could this be causing the drive's poor performance? I also think it is the one in PIO mode since I removed the floppy drive and the PIO device was still there until I unplugged the Hitachi and swapped it with the Seagate. The preference is "DMA if available" but it operates in PIO so I don't see how to force it back into DMA. Any ideas?
  8. Just quickly checking in device manager, of the 6 IDE controllers (3, each with primary and secondary) one of them is showing something operating in PIO mode. I have two optical drives and a floppy on IDE channels along with my hard drive. I don't know, but I'd assume that opticals run in U/DMA modes, but I'm not sure whether floppy drives operate in PIO naturally since they're failrd old and slow. If they run in U/DMA then it looks like my hard drive is indeed runnin PIO although it doesn't look like I'd be able to make it run in anything else. Thanks for the help so far
  9. Long story short (sorta), awhile ago my 200gb 7200RPM Hitachi ATA HDD began booting very slowly into Windows. I'm lazy and procrastinate and didn't notice any other problems so I didn't really try to fix it, I'd just get home, turn on my computer, have a snack or something, come back, and it would be ready to log on so it wasn't that big of an inconvenience. Recently, with games like BF2 and F.E.A.R that have large/detailed levels I've noticed slow loading times. A few months ago I reformatted, hoping to remedy my problems and was dissapointed when there was no improvement. I finally got around to buying a new Seagate 80GB 7200RPM SATA drive (I figured the Hitachi was dying or something, I've had it for awhile) and just installed Windows on it. The blue bar that is displayed while windows loads completed just over 50 passes before I got to the logon screen. On the Hitachi it's been 25, sometimes 36, but overall ridiculous compared to what I know it should be and what other people have gotten (my friends load in2-5 passes regardless of their HDD and people posting reviews of this one said it was blazing fast as well as loading in about 2-3 passes). I looked through my BIOS and saw no settings that might affect my HDDs so what is going on? I've searched the forums but have tried most of the suggestions. I also get a strange error in the event viewer about a DHCP error. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated
  10. Hmm, could be I suppose, though the cable was just a standard one that I use for my camera and mp3 player as well and had no problems with. I might try the local shop but I get the feeling that the board is just busted. Thanks for all the help you've given.
  11. Not having either another PSU or the money on hand to buy one, I used a PSU tester and everything checked out and the PSU ran fine for the time it was connected. What significance does the unlit LED by the RAM slots hold? I think it is a motherboard issue, though what it is and what caused it so suddenly is beyond my realm of knowledge
  12. It started yesterday night, when my computer got disturbed by my previously problem-free front USB ports when my PSP was connected to them, saying that it could perform faster, it was unrecognized, etc. Today, after leaving my computer on for awhile (not out of the ordinary at all) I returned and was going to switch out some files on my PSP, but it started making a fuss with the USB again, this time with the back ports, not recognizing my mouse, and also not recognizing my PS/2 keyboard as well. I turned it off, and attempted to turn it back on to no avail. When I depressed the power button my lighted fan (as well as the other fans, as I subsequently discovered upon later testing) began spinning for a split second and then stopped, the computer not powering up. I opened up the case and discovered my chipset heatsink (an aftermarket one I installed) was much hotter than it ever had been, with a reported temperature on my cheap 5.25'' bay sensor of about 130 degrees farenheit. I allowed it to cool off and tried booting again with the same result as before. It was at this point I realized that although the LED was lit under my lowest PCI slot, the one near the RAM slots, showing they were receiving power was not lit. I unplugged and replugged the power cables, as well as clearing the cmos for at least 30 minutes and still it would not light. The only thing I can attribute to this sudden problem is that there was a large thunder/lightning/rain storm right before I tried booting, and my computer was on through much of it. Whether the problem is related to the storm, or the problems with my USB and PS/2 I don't know, but these were the things that were happening around the time of the problem. What could the problem be? Any insight is appreciated
  13. Thanks. Since I'm not running in dual channel does it make a difference whether I use the 2 sticks from the kit or mix and match?
  14. Alright, thanks for clearing that up. Ill have to try 333 and see if that fixes it. My last questions about the RAM is whether 1.5gigs at 333 or 1gig at 400 is better
  • Create New...