Asus P5LP-LE (HP name:Lithium-UL8E)

Yes it is motherboard: Asus P5LP-LE HP name:Lithium-UL8E. I got this document from hp for motherboard specifications. In the subtitles, it has 2 points of interest. 1) Clearing the CMOS settings: Clear RTC RAM (3-pin CLRTC)

This jumper allows you to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS. You can clear the CMOS memory of date, time, and system setup parameters by erasing the CMOS RTC RAM data. The onboard button cell battery powers the RAM data in CMOS, which include system setup information such as system passwords. & 2) Clearing the password settings

The BIOS password is used to protect BIOS settings from unwanted changes. If you have forgotten your password you may disable password checking. To erase the BIOS password follow these steps:

Turn off the PC and unplug the power cord.

Move the jumper cap on jumper CLPWD to pins 1-2.

Plug the power cord and turn on the PC.

Hold down the F1 key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter/reset any custom BIOS settings.

After changing or clearing the BIOS passwords, turn off the PC reset the jumper to pins 2-3

If I Clear RTC RAM this will allow me to overclock my memory? If I Clear password settings this would give me access to the clock multi.? I think the motherboard is overclock-able since it supports the Pentium D up to 3.2GHz. My Pentium D 820 comes set at 2.80GHz. This is all guess work since I have never done these procedures before. :withstupid:

some rather unconvincing rumours are that you can flash OEM (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) Asus motherboards to unlock them... I've never seen any evidence to suggest this is actually possible... what you are describing is a CMOS reset, which simply reloads the default values into the BIOS... it's like resetting an alarm clock or something, it doesn't change the function of the clock, the time and alarm go back to the default values though...

flashing a BIOS with different firmware is effectively reprogramming it to give extra functions... the HP firmwares for your motherboard will not provide overclocking functions as that is contrary to their warranty ethics...

I think your only option is software overclocking via utilities like ClockGen: http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboard...lp-le-help.html

you won't be able to adjust much... the FSB, maybe the vCore if you extremely lucky... but most probably only FSB adjustment...

the way ram works is, if you get high rated RAM, it will work at lower speeds too... so if you got DDR800 (PC2-6400) it would run at DDR667, DDR533, etc etc... but it would ALSO run at overclocked FSB speeds (i.e. 333MHz and higher)

I read that post he also states he can't keep his settings. Everytime he restarts his rig they go back to default because they are not changed in the BIOS.:bah: I am assuming that the PC2 5300 (667) DDR2 would be the fastest of the three that this system supports? I don't comprehend what flashing is at this point or how to do it. Changing some settings,benchmarking seeing if the system is still stable is one thing. Put flashing seems to be something else altogether & out of my league for now. I saw some where through my travelers their was a Chinese program that would access any BIOS settings, clock mult. ext. I will have to find it again. I didn't download it I should have. :withstupid: I am trying not to put any more $ into this. After the PS, the X1950XTX, & the 2GB of RAM what ever one I finally settle on. It is about a $500.00 upgrade. You think I would get enough bang for the buck if upgrade the motherboard for ooc purposes? I did read somewhere the 820D was a good Processor for ooc.

if you add the parameter:

-file=save.txt

to the ClockGen shortcut, it overclocks to the saved settings, so you can put this shortcut in your windows startup folder and it will overclock your computer every time windows loads

:thumbs-up: Progress Report: I got Clock Gen 1.5.0.3 to work & load the overclocked settings at start up. The best I can get out of it before freezing is: CPU 3028.74 FSB 216.34 RAM 360.56. Now for my next topic of confusion: I have Patriot 2x1gb PC2-5300 667MHz Signature Memory Timings 5.0-5-5-15. Reason I got this is two fold. Let me know if my reasoning is on the mark or if it should be adjusted. 1st the fastest memory this motherboard supports is PC2-5300 667. The 2nd according to the reviews this is over clockable & has a heat spreader. There is a faster memory Patriot Signature PC2-5300 667 4.0-4-4-12. But one guy says it doesn't like to be overclocked at all. The conundrums I keep wondering about is, with the 5.0-5-5-15 it is allowing me to overclock to the #'s above. With the ram at 360.56 would this basically be as quick as the 4.0-4-4-12 without the overclock. If I got the the 4.0 & it wouldn't overclock I would lose the 8% increase I got from the Clock Gen. There for just keep what I have & be happy :D . Doesn't look like there is anything more I can do for this system without going for a better motherboard. 8% is better than 0% THANKS FOR YOUR HELP Kevin John B:)

Edited by Kevin John