need wc help for new comp

cbk04

Hi all,

So i know u get this question a million times and are tired of hearing it but i have no idea what direction to go in right now. So "What parts will i need to get this system cooled?"

I just finished ordering up the new parts for my next rig and got them all today and i want to watercool it for the simple fact that the video cards are extreme heat makers.

New System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775

ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX

2x EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

ENERMAX Galaxy EGX1000EWL

2x Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Kits

Then just some hdds that i have had in raid 0, and some other stuff. But i have no idea what parts would be best for this system.

i know i need a cpu block, and 2 gpu blocks, and i dont think i will need a chipset block (because the striker extreme has that whole heat pipe cooling system for that), then tubing (want to go with 1/2" to get the most flow), reservoir, radiator, pump, clamps and fittings, fluid, i want to get some temp probes and a reader also if u guys have any suggestions.

All of that will be going into a Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA chassis. (I would be willing to get a new case if it would be alot easier to get everything set up, which i think it would)

Well that is all i can think of, i appreciate any help you are willing to offer. Thanks in advance!!

Any questions about something just let me know.

Read these two topics first:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=72601

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=72861

Those are mainly for background information. After you're done reading those, I'd be happy answer any specific question you have. :)

Edited by Bleeble

ok well i was lookin around for parts, lookin for some feedback on the ones i have found.

Radiators:

Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X-Flow

Danger Den Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

CPU Block:

Danger Den TDX 775 Copper

GPU Blocks:

Danger Den 8800GTX Black Polycarbonate Cooling Block

Fans:

3 Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm

Pump:

Hydor SELTZ L 35 II

ok well i was lookin around for parts, lookin for some feedback on the ones i have found.

Radiators:

Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 360 X-Flow

Danger Den Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

CPU Block:

Danger Den TDX 775 Copper

GPU Blocks:

Danger Den 8800GTX Black Polycarbonate Cooling Block

Fans:

3 Yate Loon 120mm x 25mm

Pump:

Hydor SELTZ L 35 II

Looks like you were looking at some outdated guides. I'll be honest with you. While there's nothing wrong with the parts you picked out, they could really be a lot better for the money. In all seriousness, this is a very good kit. Better pump, better CPU block, and better radiator. The GPU block is a toss-up, depending on what you want.

I added up the prices for the parts you picked out and it comes out to around $560 (nevermind the fact that FrozenCPU is horribly overpriced). For less than that, you could get a WC setup like the one in my sig and it will perform better. Frankly, $560 is an unholy amount of money to spend on cooling, even WC. :lol:

If this is your first WC experience, you might not want to jump right in with a $560 purchase. My suggestion would be to start with just the basics and then add the GPU blocks after you're comfortable with that. But it's your choice in the end. :unsure:

Here's my personal suggestion:

CPU block: D-Tek Fuzion

GPU blocks: D-Tek Fuzion GFX -or- DangerDen Maze4/Maze5 -or- EK-FC8800GTX (if you're absolutely determined to have a full cover GPU block)

Pump: Laing DDC-2 with Petra's top (DDCT-01s)

Radiator: PA120.3 with any Yate Loon fans

Tubing: 7/16" ID Masterkleer

Edited by Bleeble

what is better about those parts? ill probably negate the two gpu coolers at first anyways, i just want to get everything else so i can upgrade to those in the future.

In general? Better performance: Better heat conductivity and lower restriction for the blocks. Much higher flow for the pump. Better heat dissipation for the radiator. And the tubing is cheaper, kinks less, and fits more snugly than other 1/2" tubing.

And if you're going to watercool your two 8800s, then you'll definitely want the pump and radiator I suggested.

Edited by Bleeble

I think i'm going to go with the stuff you suggested and just leave out the gpu coolers all together, i dont plan on oc'ing them at all for a bit. Is there any special fittings i need or anything like that? I mean for the radiator to use the 1/2" tubing and everything like that? this is what i have so far.

Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo $99.95

* Pump : Laing DDC-3.2 (18W)

* Included Barbs : 1/2'' D-Tek High-Flow

D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2" $64.99

120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12 Case Fan - Black (88 CFM, 40 dBA) x4 * Fan Screws : Black qty. 4 (+ 0.25) x4 $5.24 $20.96

Logisys 12" Dual Cold Cathode Kit - UV $4.99

7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing x15 $7.35

Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamp (Wide Band) x25 $15.00

UV Reactive Pentosin G11 Coolant Additive (Blue) - 4oz. $4.50

I dont think it makes a difference but those are good barbs included with that pump arent they? also is there a reason to run 7/16" tubing instead of 1/2" on 1/2" fittings?

that all came to around 218 without the radiator cuz it is out of stock there, so i have to go on a search for one.. so add another 160 probably. Around 378-380+shipping when it is all said and done i guess.

I think i'm going to go with the stuff you suggested and just leave out the gpu coolers all together, i dont plan on oc'ing them at all for a bit. Is there any special fittings i need or anything like that? I mean for the radiator to use the 1/2" tubing and everything like that? this is what i have so far.

That's probably a good idea. From what I've read, the stock coolers are decent anyway. You can always add them later on if you want.

One thing I would add to your list is a T-fitting and something to close the top of your fill line. A fillport is nice, but a fat bolt works too. :lol:

Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo $99.95

* Pump : Laing DDC-3.2 (18W)

* Included Barbs : 1/2'' D-Tek High-Flow

D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2" $64.99

120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12 Case Fan - Black (88 CFM, 40 dBA) x4 * Fan Screws : Black qty. 4 (+ 0.25) x4 $5.24 $20.96

Logisys 12" Dual Cold Cathode Kit - UV $4.99

7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing x15 $7.35

Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamp (Wide Band) x25 $15.00

UV Reactive Pentosin G11 Coolant Additive (Blue) - 4oz. $4.50

Get some PT Nuke too. That'll keep stuff from growing in your tubes. ;) And you probably don't need 25 hose clamps. More like 10-15 actually. So you can save some money there.

I dont think it makes a difference but those are good barbs included with that pump arent they? also is there a reason to run 7/16" tubing instead of 1/2" on 1/2" fittings?

Those barbs are good. I have the EK ones myself (no price difference). The reason for getting 7/16" tubing is that it fits on the barbs more tightly than 1/2" so there's less likely to be leaks. There's more to it than that, but I'm in kind of a hurry at the moment. :D

that all came to around 218 without the radiator cuz it is out of stock there, so i have to go on a search for one.. so add another 160 probably. Around 378-380+shipping when it is all said and done i guess.

I bought my radiator from PerformancePCs. They had the lowest price after shipping (not to mention they were one of the only stores that actually had it in stock :P).

You may also want to think about a fan controller so you can turn down the fan when you want things quieter. I have a Sunbeam Rheobus (here and here) that can handle 20W per channel. The reversible, dual-color LEDs are nice too. I highly recommend it.

I'll be offline for a few days (moving :rolleyes:), but I'll be able to answer any questions eventually. Road-runner knows what he's talking about when it comes to watercooling, so you have my permission to bug him. :P