Build For My Son

steve burnell

my son is wanting a new computer for his birthday in a few weeks and wanted advice on the following parts ive picked out for the new computer, at the min he's using my very old amd3800+ (listed in my sig) and can't play the games he wants to like i can on this laptop lol

AMD Athlon II X4 641 2.8GHz Quad Core Processor

Gigabyte A55M-DS2 Motherboard

2x4GB CCL Choice 1333MHz DDR3 Memory

Olympix FC-OL01A Midi Tower Case

Palit GeForce GT 630 2GB Graphics

Sony 24x Int DVD-RAM SATA

build price comes to £203.06 with delivery

Chosen this store because ive used them before and the customer support and prices just cant seem to be beaten lol

thoughts?

steve

Edited by steve burnell

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oki couple of things:

why amd ATHLON? the cpu isnt that great your better off with a phenom 9xx series those are great perfomance wise.

is that board even compatible with the athlon processor?

why 8gb ram? games these days only need 3 at most and you can spare some money on this and get a better videocard

why a gt630? that card will act poorly on games of today (maybe on medium low but thats no enjoyment right?)

i know you want to go ''el cheapo'' but this is not really worth the money in the first place.

if you can only spend 200~ pounds then you could be better off with a ps3 or xbox 360 then for games.

just my 2 cents :)

Edited by WarWeeny

well i do only have a limited budget for this build and the Intel CPU's i would like to buy are a lot higher priced for a quad core!!

hes not really bothered about running games on ultra high settings (MW3, sniper elite v2 etc..) as long as they play hes not bothered lol

8gb ram, at that price who wouldn't

and he's already got a ps3, Xbox 360 and a Wii but we don't allow him to have them in his room as they are family consoles

and TBQH not everybody has a large budget when they've got 3 kids and rent, bills, food .... u get the idea lol

if you could show me a better system for around the same price i'd love to see it

what is your max budget?

do you have a monitor?

do you have windows?

do you have a power suply?

do you have an hdd?

i need to know what you already have and i can see what i can do :)

Edited by WarWeeny

yes i have a 17inch lcd screen with vga only, using a vga-dvi adapter

the hard drive will come from the old system 500gb 7200 deskstar, only had this for a couple of months so will be fine

psu - only if i bought the case listed in the first post and i do rather like the case pmsl, the psu in the current system is quite old and wouldn't really want to use it in a new system

windows yes

i also guess 8gb for a budget build is overkill lol

absolute max budget with del would be £220

Edited by steve burnell

yes i have a 17inch lcd screen with vga only, using a vga-dvi adapter

the hard drive will come from the old system 500gb 7200 deskstar

psu - only if i bought the case listed in the first post and i do rather like the case pmsl, the psu in the current system is quite old and wouldn't really want to use it in a new system

windows yes

i also guess 8gb for a budget build is overkill lol

absolute max budget with del would be £220

the case is definitly a good buy no complaints about that :P

you sure the dvd drive in the older computer is not usable on the next build? - could shave off some pounds there :P

il look into this :)

so if i am correct this is what you need:

cpu

mother board

memory

dvd drive

gpu

case is a good choice :)

that does seem to be a better system many thanks for the help,

the graphics card, is that any good? not had much experience with ati for a long time, has ati managed to sort their drivers out so they dont crash or bloat the system?

Edited by steve burnell

that does seem to be a better system many thanks for the help,

the graphics card, is that any good? not had much experience with ati for a long time, has ati managed to sort their drivers out so they dont crash or bloat the system?

as far as i know the drivers have been improved on quite a bit. this card is also released more then a year ago i believe so the drivers should be optimal now

be sure you go to the amd site and download the drivers there instead taking em off the disk that comes with the card but you already know this i asume :P

the card itself is the better choice or else i would have taken the nvidea one no? ;D

not knowing your resolution ofcourse but its a solid card for that price range. personally i wouldve gone a bit farther and get a gtx 550/amd 7770 or something but being on budget and all :P

being on the occ site and all... i would recommend overclocking the processor and videocard a bit for that extra juice :D (3.6/3.8ghz should be doable on stock cooling and voltages, not sure about the gpu but i asume it got some headroom too) and if you want to upgrade in the future that processor can keep up with most modern cards of today so you are not bottlenecked by that.

Edited by WarWeeny