Anyone interested?

Fan Review  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested?

After trying to seek advice and look around for good reviews there are bugger all good reviews comparing fans on low fpi rads.

That in mind after far too many hours searching I decided why not just test everything myself and save others the trial and error of finding the right fans.

So I want to know who would want to see me start my own fan reviews?

I would have the following things -

Comparisons of the following in a controlled situation:

- single fan using no rad

- single fan push

- single fan pull

- two fans push and pull

Using two different rads:

- Koolance HX-CU420V 120*1 rad, 30fpi

- XSPC RX120 120*1, 8fpi

Been meaning to get a class a, c sound level meter. Will also get an anemometer and already have plenty of meters for measuring voltage and amperage.

Controlled situation - will be very similar to a review on xtremesystems.

Anyone interested in seeing this done?

From what I've heard it's all about static pressure compared to decibels. So you're looking for quiet, good performing fans...

That being said, I'm not really sure what the best fans are but I've heard from word of mouth about a few. Like the Scythe gentle typhoon, Noctua (NF-P12 and others), and a few other brands.

It'd be interesting to see it done on more than one radiator though, because not all rads are alike. :thumbsup:

From what I've heard it's all about static pressure compared to decibels. So you're looking for quiet, good performing fans...

That being said, I'm not really sure what the best fans are but I've heard from word of mouth about a few. Like the Scythe gentle typhoon, Noctua (NF-P12 and others), and a few other brands.

It'd be interesting to see it done on more than one radiator though, because not all rads are alike. :thumbsup:

Yes it is a lot to do with static pressure especially with a rad like the koolance one with 30fpi but the xspc rx would perform vastly different at only 8fpi.

The anemometer is there so that a comparison can be made of noise levels, while equal movements of air are being pushed through first rad one then rad two.

Edit:

Oh and anyone, any suggestions? Anything that should be added, changed or improved on from this base idea?

Edited by Stonerboy779

I am fortunate to be living in the Dallas area as we have several Fry's here so when you are in search of a computer part it is pretty easy to find what you need.

It always amazes me when I visit the computer department to see the wide variety of fans and the even wider range of prices - anywhere from a $3 econo up to $60 ultra quiet.

A fan review would be helpful.

Martin's liquid lab has done this in the past. I'll dig up the link when I get back to my computer. :cheers:

EDIT: Reading what you posted again, I realize that this hasn't been done. TEST AWAY!

Edited by Waco

Haha Waco I think ive seen the review you are taking about. But yes this is a little different and may also prove the best fan set ups for quiet performance. As well as the quietest fans for case and rad.

Would like to see a little more interest :P I am 18 and at uni, so I dont want to waste my time and money. No point doing this if interest isnt there or for only a few fans.

Edit: for spelling, god I hate my phone..

Edited by Stonerboy779

But yes this is a little different and may also prove the best fan set ups for quiet performance.

I think the best fan setups for quiet performance is pretty much any push/pull combination of quiet fans on a radiator with low FPI. I know my Black Ice Pro II didn't cool for crap with quiet fans on it but both my XSPC RX360 and Swiftech MCR320 do. :P

I think the best fan setups for quiet performance is pretty much any push/pull combination of quiet fans on a radiator with low FPI. I know my Black Ice Pro II didn't cool for crap with quiet fans on it but both my XSPC RX360 and Swiftech MCR320 do. :P

No doubt but facts are nice :biggrin:

I'll also mess around with some ducting, aka gutted 120mm fan. Because ultimately I will probably be ducting my fans in my next build.

Hey Muchoman, whats your opinion of Gammods? Havent used then yet but will be.