USB 3.0 vs 2.0 Transfer Rates

Speedway

Just got my AZIO USB 3.0 HDD Docking Station today and I wanted to share some SS of the difference between my old USB 2.0 docking station and the new USB 3.0! I knew it was going to be faster, but I had no idea how much! I am extremely happy with the $30 bucks I spent, that's for sure :D

USB 2.0

usb20.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

USB 3.0

usb30steady.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

31MB/s vs 126MB/s = WOW 4x faster

I used a 3.41GB movie folder and copied it to my SSD RAID0 setup. Very Happy!

nice, albeit pointless if you already had a hybrid esata/usb2.0 enclosure like me :P (and I don't need a usb 3.0 motherboard change :evilgrin: )

Yea, in order to get to those kind tranfer speeds on an external hd then you would have to spend some money and get a new mobo with USB SS. So might not be the most economical upgrade in your case. But, to me it was only $30, and I do alot of file transfers so it made sense! But, IVI if you are like me and use an external hd for file transfers often, it would be quite a bit faster than the esata! So if/when you do upgrade a $30 hd dock with USB 3.0 is nice!

Pretty good article, almost a year old or not, I liked the info! Any way we can see a data transfer SS of you esata drive to see if the USB 3.0 drivers have matured since then? Benchmarks r Benchamrks, but I have always loved the real world data ;)

I am using a Seagate 750GB 7200.10 ST3750640AS that came out of a Maxtor One Touch External. The Maxtor stopped powering on, so I ripped the hdd out of it and now use the docking stations. Worked just fine after I removed it from the external enclosure :)