FERMI 2 - CUSTOM water cooled DUAL STACKER 832 CASE

FERMI 2 - CUSTOM Dual Stacker 832 - sli GTX480's

*****MODERATOR NOTE***** I have removed your other links to various forums...we dont allow links or adverts that attempt to draw members to other forums....you can post the build here but no linking to any other forums with intent to get members to visit said forums to vote for you...thanks Doc

latest state of the build

IMG_4681.jpg

Hi All

this is my first post to any forum, and 3rd attemp on here, stupid thing keeps deleting my post, ugh, bang head, bang head!!!

well im going to start off by saying this is a post for the build log of my new custome case/system which im calling FERMI 2

It was supposed to be called FERMI 3 but i sold off my FTW 480 today (money constaints).

the case is made out of 2 coolermaster stacker 832 cases :) which i think you guys will like:)

I have went through many revisions of this case and now have finally found one i like and that works well which is REV 4 right now :)

WHY I CHOSE TO CALL MY SYSTEM/CASE FERMI 2

Fermi is the name of a Nuclear power plant. I live in Windsor, Ontario Canada which is located across from Detroit, Michigan. Now there is an actually power plant near windsor and detroit (10-20 miles away) called FERMI 2. Its a nuclear power plant :)

since each gtx 480 is from the Fermi Family, I decided to call it FERMI 2. Ill be using 2 corsair 850w power supplies (2 generators), so Ill be putting 1700W or 1.7kW Capacity on the case :) maybe with red leds behind an engraved acrylic panel :)

Now if i decide to buy a 3rd GTX 480 (just sold my third one:( ... ) than ill be naming it FERMI 3.

Now there are 2 Fermi Cards (reactors), 2 cooling towers (2 radiators), 2 dump tanks (used for emergencies) (2 reservoirs), the the whole theme goes well with the case.

Let me know what you think.....

so

the system consists of the following:

Hardware:

Core i7 930

EVGA X58 4 way sli Mobo

Corsair Dominator GT 2000c7

2 - EVGA GTX 480's Super Clocked editions

1 - Corsair HX850w power supply

1 - Corsair AX850w power supply (will get it in 2 weeks as i sold one of my two hx850's that was with my HD5970 build)

Watercooling:

Feser 420 Monsta Radiator

Feser 360 Xchanger Radiator

2 - Swiftech MCP-655 Pumps

2 - EK MCP-655 X-TOP Ver. 2

2 - Koolance 120mm Reservoirs

EK Supreme HF cpu block (black + nickel)

EK Classified 4 way Full Motherboard Block

MIPS computer Corsair 6 Ram Block

2 - Ek Nickel/POM GTX 480 Blocks

2 - EK GF200 LINKs

EK Triple Link Parallel

1/2" Promochill white tubing

1/2ID 3/4" OD Black Bitspower compression fittings (diff types and sizes)

Koolance TMS 200 and 200 expansion board

2 - Koolance Flow sensors INS-FM17

3 - Noise blocker PK-3 140mm Fans (1700rpm)

9 - Xigmatek 140mm fans 1000rpm (3 for pulling air, 6 used as shrouds)

4 - Antec 200mm Fans

9 - Coolermaster 120mm R4 Fans

Case:

2 - Coolermaster Stacker 832 Cases

Custom waterjetted, bent and welded aluminum parts :) ( i will provide the CAD drawings for anyones use)

So thats the parts list for now, I am thinking of some editions with regards to sound card, low power vid card, usb 3.0 cards as well but I will post about those at a later date when the time is right :)

stay tuned, and i would appreciate your comments and insight

cheers

Edited by dr_bowtie

Time to put the radiators together.

I'm taping the Monsta 420 rad with 8-32 threads so that i can get long enough screws to tighten the fan and shroud assembly.

IMG_4290.jpg

Drilling the monsta so i can tap 8-32 threads, notice the 1/8" aluminum sheet underneath to protect the fins and tubes from the bit.

IMG_4289.jpg

Taping the 8-3 threads, all 24 of them (12 on each side).

IMG_4287.jpg

First set of holes done :) turned out well, did a test with a 8-32 bolt and all works well with no biting.

IMG_4292.jpg

the monsta 420 by feser all fully tapped out :) and ready for fan mounting.

IMG_4295.jpg

heres a xigmatek 140mm clear fan with white LEDs with the fan cut out. Going to use these as my shrouds. 6 total.

Not sure if you can see, but the holes had to be drilled out bigger to accommodate the bigger 8-32 bolts.

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

Ill be using 3 xigmatek fans (which are queit at 1000rpm) as shrounds, 3 xigmatek fans as pull fans, and 3 noiseblocker PK-3 140mm 1700rpm fans as push fans.

IMG_4304.jpg

Here are a pair of the NB PK-3's. I also had to drill the holes out bigger for the 8-32 bolts.

IMG_4293.jpg

heres a shot of two xigmatek fans, 1 cut out, 1 fully intact.

Mounting Pics coming soon :)

more pics :)

IMG_4313.jpg

Monsta radiator with 3 fan shrouds.

IMG_4314.jpg

Test fit for the fans :) everything lines up ready to mount the shrounds and water jetted aluminum base plate.

IMG_4315.jpg

Top fans mounted, bottom fans next.

IMG_4317.jpg

the carbon fiber side peice is shiny :) wish i had a better camera

IMG_4320.jpg

Monsta radiator with all fans mounted, Mistake from before, i meant to say only 3 shrouds for the top, bottom doesn't have fan shrouds.

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

shot of the bottom plate i had water jetted all mounted to the radiator :) this will go into the right side stacker 832. I have the CAD dawings avail for this peice if anyone wants it for fan spacing and such.

IMG_4272.jpg

heres the feser xchanger 360 radiator which will be for my cpu, board, memory loop. The monsta is strictly for cooling the dual 480s.

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

the two gaskets for the Monsta 420 radiator :)

Time to take apart the board and put the Ek block on :)

heres the EVGA 4 way classified board that has 2 NF 200 chips on it for 4 slots running at x16 :)

Slots 1 and 2 are related - NF200 1 - Channel A

slots 3 and 4 are related - NF200 1 - Channel B

slots 5 and 6 are related - NF200 2 - Channel A

and slot 7 is a lone slot. - NF200 2 - Channel B

If slot 1 is occupied and slot 2 is empty - slot 1 runs at x16 (if slot 2 is occupied than slot 1 and 2 are x8/x8)

(remember a x1 pcie card may and may not affect the speed of the x16 slot, it shouldn't)

If slot 3 is occupied and slot 4 is empty - slot 1 runs at x16 (if slot 4 is occupied than slot 3 and 4 are x8/x8)

(remember a x1 pcie card may and may not affect the speed of the x16 slot, it shouldn't)

If slot 5 is occupied and slot 6 is empty - slot 5 runs at x16 (if slot 6 is occupied than slot 5 and 6 are x8/x8)

Slot 7 always runs at x16, as it is not split or sharing with another slot.

My plan is - Graphics in Slot 5 and 7, Sound card in slot 1, Low powered video card in slot 3, and USB 3.0 card in slot 4.

heres a BMP of my CAD Drawing of the XL-ATX stand off spacing for the EVGA x58 4 WAY SLI BOARD.

I got the specs of the ATX standoff spacing from an official ATX SPEC PDF spec sheet. I than measured the rest with a micrometer, The size of the board is also on this image too :)

XL-ATX-standoffspacing.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

Board with the stock heat sink on

IMG_4444.jpg

heatsink taken off, 3 pieces.

IMG_4452.jpg

Naked 4 way sli board - notice the two NF200 chips.

IMG_4455.jpg

Another naked shot but now with all the thermal pads installed on the board so now time to mount the block :)

IMG_4456.jpg

This block was such a pain in the butt to get. I had one sent to me that was leaking, the second one was the wrong revision. Notice how on top of the south bridge the block seems to be grooved or machined down compared to the rest of the block. That is so the cards will seat properly.

IMG_4457.jpg

Another shot of the board with block installed.

Heres a pic of the OLDER revision 4 Way block by EK. This will not allow the graphics cards to seat properly.

theres also a pic of the new block too

IMG_4347.jpg

OLD revision, NO GROOVES

IMG_4440.jpg

NEW revision WITH GROOVES of the 4 way sli block by EK.

The guys at Sidewindercomputers were awesome, he replaced the block twice (leaking and wrong revision) and than spoke to EK and they replaced it free of charge. I still have the old revision block, ANY TAKERS????

Well here are the cards :)

all 3 of them. I sold the FTW yesterday, needed the cash :( I do miss is very much, having second thoughts of selling but oh well :)

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4406.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

IMG_4408.jpg

Heres the EK GTX 480 POM/Nickel Block :)

and now for the Bottom

IMG_4412.jpg

IMG_4414.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

Pads almost all on, and thermal paste applied - MX-2 :) Got that at a local shop called PCOUTFITTERS for 10 bucks, haha USED 3 tubes already :)

IMG_4425.jpg

Block fully mounted on the GTX480 :)

Edited by KAMASTER

TIME TO SHOW THE STEPS IN BUILDING THE CASE !!!!!!!!!

here is the bottom of the right stacker 832. Originally i cut this in my 3rd revision of the case which you will bellow. The case was supposed to be 2.75 stackers high (50") but i found there to be too many challenges and it just wasn't stable at all.

so here are the pics of the 3rd revision, FERMI 2 - is 4th REVSION

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

notice thats the OLD revision of the 4 way sli block. I had paper towels under it so it would be easier to detect leaks :)

Now here is the bottom piece of the RIGHT stacker 832

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4230.jpg

Theres the bottom of the 832 stacker. It has the Mounting plate for the MONSTA 420 radiator being test fitted in :)

Notice the 1/16 x 1.75"wide piece of aluminum on the left as a support column/brace, just too thin, i was going to bend it, but than i wouldnt have been able to fit a 200mm fan on the back, so it was just a big giant pain.