aaportnell

Please leave comments thoughts other ideas for my new build:

Preliminary spec is as follows:

Case--------------Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower

PSU---------------Corsair TX650W

MoBo-------------ASUS P6X58D-E

CPU---------------i7-930

GPU---------------Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic

RAM---------------Kingston HyperX 3x2GB (DDR3, 1600MHz)

Cooling------------Undecided Air Cooling with the possibility of looking into water cooling in the future

Optical Drives---Undecided

HDD---------------Reclaimed from my current system,

Extra fan in base, card reader (undecided - ideas?), fan control (undecided - ideas?), Antec Multimedia Station Elite (possibly premier),

This is basically going to be a HTPC but it will be used for gaming and video editing too

Many thanks for any input!

What you have so far looks good. How much are you looking to spend on the cooling, be it air or water? For a fan controller, I like a simple rheobus, like one from Sunbeam.

However, since you're looking for an HTPC mostly, I'd have to advise against going with the X58 platform. Sure it'll work but I think its overkill. A Phenom II X3 or X4 build (or even Athlon II) would work out just fine for an HTPC and even be able to handle plenty of games. If you're set on Intel, then going with the i5 750 and the P55 platform would be a good choice.

What you have so far looks good. How much are you looking to spend on the cooling, be it air or water?

looking to spend no more than £50 for cooling but thats not including fan control, just fans :biggrin:

also, preferably need 4 controllers and does anyone know how they work?

i am looking for some control via PWM rather than just resistors, not sure if most control is done via PWM or whether it resistors but i am assuming it is alot more efficient to go down the PWM route! :unsure:

:wacko:

Edited by aaportnell