P7P55D-E Pro high pitched noise

I posted here a build that involves the P7P55D-E Pro, asking for your feedback.

The problem is that I really don't know what to choose between the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro and the ASUS P7P55D-E EVO.

I tried to find info on the Net - other than reviews, wich are all extremely positive - mainly in forums. Surfing the ASUS official forums i found out the P7P55D-E Pro seems to emit a high pitched noise when the computer is idle. Others found out that the noise seems to be generated when the CPU enters the C state: as soon as you disable it the noise dissapears. But I'd like to have energy saving features on, since, well, here the energy is fairly "not cheap" and well, we have a planet to protect :)

I compared the two boards using the ASUS compare tool and I found out the differences are fairly minor. The exploration of the forums for the EVO didn;t reveal anything, since there are just a few posts. This would mean the board is glitch free or that is unpopular, wich raises the question "Why, am I missing something?"

If you ask why I want these boards, is because these are some sort of a 3rd revision, so IMHO it's sure they have some problems ironed out.

So as you can see, I'm in a pickle, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you all for the input!

OK, I see almost 100 ppl read this post and nobody wrote anything. I can see why, it's a pretty strange and difficult topic and besides an ASUS technical representative I don't think anyone is able to give an adequate answer.

But at least tell me what board should I choose, the ASUS P7P55D-E EVO or the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro?

Edited by alexsinov

I am not sure but a fellow had a whine problem with an Intel board over in HTL

turned out to be a power choke whining under load Intel replace it finally

wasn't sure this relates but thought I'd throw it out there

The problem is that I really don't know what to choose between the ASUS P7P55D-E Pro and the ASUS P7P55D-E EVO.

I tried to find info on the Net - other than reviews, wich are all extremely positive - mainly in forums. Surfing the ASUS official forums i found out the P7P55D-E Pro seems to emit a high pitched noise when the computer is idle. Others found out that the noise seems to be generated when the CPU enters the C state: as soon as you disable it the noise dissapears. But I'd like to have energy saving features on, since, well, here the energy is fairly "not cheap" and well, we have a planet to protect :)

I compared the two boards using the ASUS compare tool and I found out the differences are fairly minor. The exploration of the forums for the EVO didn;t reveal anything, since there are just a few posts. This would mean the board is glitch free or that is unpopular, wich raises the question "Why, am I missing something?"

If you ask why I want these boards, is because these are some sort of a 3rd revision, so IMHO it's sure they have some problems ironed out.

So as you can see, I'm in a pickle, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

The sound could be associated with bad capacitors or just a case of "Cap Squeal" nothing really you can do about it other than RMA it.

IF you want to save more power I suggest you use Windows "Sleep/Hibernation" Function (Sleep for Windows Vista&7, Hibernation for Windows XP)

I think the difference between the P7P55D-E EVO (or Pro) Is the support of the new SATA and USB standard.

But dont quote me on it.

Sometimes revisions can be for insignificant things like changing the bios chip or the thermal paste on the NB. (If it aint broke, dont fix it) :lol:

Edited by CAINuKe

I'm in exactly the same spot as you are - so not sure, maybe it'd make you feel better :)

anyway - as far as understand, it's a definite issue w/ a -e pro version - so I'd stay clear from that - most have the same issue (just look at newegg reviews), those that don't got mobos with c-state turned off - and it also seems to be the c-state issue (only on 'idle' is the give away)

and as for the -e evo - I'm at odds here too - cannot find anything on this one, but no reviews either - newegg doesn't have them - so it must be just short of enough reviews, not as popular

I've decided for P55A UD4 from Gigabyte - I'm a longtime Asus fan but this is putting me off

turning c-states off is not the way to go

until enough people buy -e evo - there's no way to tell -

and it might be the problem w/ all -e boards too - so you might never get enough reviews :)

GA seems good enough - SATA/USB - new - they both lack something, but it's all the same considering the devices you'd be able to use in the next 1 or 2 years

I have a P7P55D-E Pro board in one of my systems I use for gaming/folding.. Though I think I might have c-state turned off.. not sure though I'd have to check when I get home.

Haven't realy had a chance to do too much "playing" around with it. I ran the utility to self OC it which took my 860 to a little over 3.7ghz. I ran IBT and OCC for a few hours and called it good for now lol. Though I havent heard any noise from the caps, only noice from that system is the fans :)

I would like to drive my car but I dont want to use gas since it pollutes the environment

so how can I drive my car to work without using gas? people say that the only way to drive a car is with gas, but I don't want to do this.

anyway,

if lots of people have the same issue with your motherboard it is best to take their advice instead of trying to come up with a new solution

live with the noise, or disable the power saving feature

if yout dont like that sell your motherboard and buy a different brand

I dont know anything about this particular motherboard, I am just commenting on the general information you have provided

sometimes maufacturers release the same models in different regions. that could be the extra 'E' in the product name

usually this differentiates between EU and NA brands, as EU uses PAL or different A/C plug requirements

sometimes its a licensing thing

again this is just speculation

Edited by potatochobit