ASUS Xtreme Design Contest!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is my "Xtreme Design" system's goal:

I've never had the opportunity to own top of the line components. Whenever I built a system for myself, I always had to use last gen technology, and while I could get a respectable overclock on my hardware, it was pointless to benchmark my system, because everyone would be on a different platform anyway. If I win this contest, I would finally have the opportunity to bench a system on the standard and high-end platform of the time. Essentially, I'd be shooting for the maximum overclock possible. Aside from benching, I would also be using this computer for intensive gaming, used as a media center (we currently only have a DVD player under our HDTV), and of course, when someone isn't using it, it would be folding, to give back to the people who need it.

How would I build my "Xtreme" System:

During the first benching process, I would not put the system in the case; so that I could get maximum cooling possible on air. Not only this, but it's winter, and ambient temps are very, very cool.

For my system (after the benching), I would definitely use a full tower case, preferably the Antec 1200. A full tower case has the room needed for high end components and the airflow required to cool such components.

antec1200.jpg

For cooling, I would DEFINITELY NOT stick with the stock cooler that Intel provides. While it's great for stock, no serious system builder is going to leave a system at those speeds; especially with a P7P55D Premium motherboard and Intel Core i7 processor. I am on a low budget, so I would have to stick with air cooling, and an affordable setup at that. I would pick the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. The cooler's innovative heat pipe direct touch system has proven to work, and even for a measly $30 ($25 after rebate), it gives the famed Thermalright TRUE a serious run for its' money.

asusbuild.png

How ASUS' "Xtreme Design" motherboard features help my system and daily life:

The ASUS P7P55D Premium has an amazing TurboV feature, which allows you to tweak the motherboard's settings from inside the OS. While changing settings from the BIOS has always worked, changing settings from inside the OS has many advantages. One reason is that it will save a lot of time while overclocking, as with the TurboV software, there's no more need to constantly reboot the system to increase voltage or change the FSB speed. Another reason that the TurboV software would be a large help is because you could change a setting while running a stress test to insure stability. This way, if you change a setting and the test fails, you know exactly what change caused the instability with no confusion. One of the biggest advantages of TurboV is that it is provided by ASUS. There is 3rd party software that allows you to change settings within the OS, but as this software is the same for all motherboards there are always issues with compatibility and reliability. However, since TurboV was only designed with ASUS motherboards in mind, the chances of running into an issue with the software are very, very slim.

Another amazing overclocking feature that would make my life so much simpler is the Turbo Key. This feature allows you to boost the speed of your system with one click, and unlike Intel's Speedstep, which is automatic and may cause instability, the Turbo Key is manual. Since it's manual, YOU get to control it and YOU get to decide what kind of performance boost you want. This feature is very helpful because it can help save a tremendous amount of power. Instead of having my system overclocked 24/7, why not just leave it at stock when I don't need the power and hit the Turbo Key whenever I feel I need that extra burst of speed? This way, the system takes much less power compared to a 24/7 overclock.

Those features were only for the overclocking performance of the system. However, there is still much, much more.

Another feature on the ASUS P7P55D Premium is the MemOK! button. Honestly, while some users may not see the need for such a button, I know firsthand why such a button would be amazing for new users. When I was building one of my first systems, no matter what I would do, it just wouldn't boot! Everything was at stock, and so I began to troubleshoot for hours. Later on, I realized that my memory needed to be at 800MHZ and not 667MHZ. Had the MemOK! button been on my motherboard, it would have alerted me of the problem and even fixed itself! Now that is true reliability and convenience.

The Drive Xpert is very useful too; you can mix and match hard drive sizes. If your system runs out of space, and you have a 1TB hard drive, there's no need to spend $100 or more on another 1TB hard drive; with Drive Xpert you can add a cheap 250GB hard drive to your RAID array with no issues.This would personally be great for me because I tend to buy hard drives too small in space.

One thing I really like about the ASUS P7P55D Premium is that not all of its' features are just to help me (the user) right now. The ASUS P7P55D Premium has a lot of features that help future-proof my system, meaning that I won't have to throw out money on a new motherboard in a year or two. First of all, the motherboard supports 10 channel audio, and that's not a very common standard today. In fact, I've never actually heard 10 channel audio for myself before. Also, the motherboard supports 6gb/s SATA III hard drives, which aren't even available on the market yet! Now that's thinking ahead.

When I first started writing how the features of the motherboard would help me, I thought: "Oh man, how am I going to make this useless and bloated stuff seem like a good thing?", because, in my past experiences, many additional features I have seen before offered no real help to the user. But, as I began to read about this ASUS motherboard, the usefulness of all the features really dawned on me; ASUS knew what they were doing with the P7P55D Premium.

How the components I win (if I win) will help me:

A 128GB Samsung SSD Drive - SSD's are the hard drives of the future. They're just catching on slowly because they're still very expensive per GB when compared to typical disk drives. The SSD would help me tremendously in getting my system set up, and finding that I don't have to wait two minutes when I turn on my computer to use it would be a HUGE relief. Also, I know for a fact that Samsung has excellent customer service.

An Antec Quattro 850w PSU - Antec's PSU's are amazing; they pass power testing with flying colors, and almost never fail. However, in the rare occassion that they do, Antec's long warranty period comes into play. Also, the PSU would fit in great with my choice of the Antec 1200 for the case.

An Intel Core i7 CPU - These CPU's are the top of the line today; nothing can touch them. Using the power in this CPU, I will be able to achieve very high benchmark scores for the first time in my experience.

4GB of G.Skill DDR3 RAM - Most RAM will bring similar performance figures, but G.SKILL's memory is renown for its amazing overclockability and build quality.

An Nvidia GTX260 by ASUS - Nvidia's GPU's are excellent folders, which means that it can get more done, and it turn, discover more about protein folding. In addition to folding, the computing power of the GTX260 will help accelerate many of the programs I used on a daily basis. However, saying that the GTX260 is all work and no play is a HUGE mistake. With its' advanced PhysX capabilities, game enviornments look unbelievably realistic.

A Razer Lycosa and a Razer Deathadder - While any mouse and keyboard will get me a good overclock, only Razer's products look so good while giving you the precision you need while gaming. The blue LED's would look amazing with my Antec 1200.

antec1200scan.png

FINAL SUMMARY:

I would build this system with an Antec 1200. If I were to win these components, I would use the advantages of the ASUS P7P55D Premium to prove the speed and overclocking power of the motherboard. With my maximum overclock, I would compete with top benches in a wide range of programs. Once I finish the benching session, I would use this system for folding (while taking advantage of the high overclock and high speed of the system), using programs that take many resources from the computer, such as Photoshop and Sony Vegas (video rendering would be hugely improved with this system. I would also obviously use this computer for work and play, like never before.

On a final note, I'd like to say that I've never had a system like this before, and being given the chance to own one and use it for extreme benching would be a dream come true.

i3asus.png

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY AT OCC!

Edited by tkrow21

I can't even enter. I don't do "Xtreme" builds in the visual sense...mine are all laid back and plain looking at best. I hate gaudy crap and that tends to be what people think of as "Xtreme." <_<

You don't need a custom case mod. Just let us know how you would build your laid back system and how xtreme design features will help you do whatever it is that you do. Hopefully you can make your system interesting for us to pick.

hi all give it the name of turbo design i hope you like it and asus is one of the big company and always had an new Ideas of the miraculous :) modscases.com ASUS P55 motherboard, Intel CPU, Razer Lycosa keyboard and Deathadder mouse, GSkill DDR3 2133 CL9 4GB TDS Series memory, Samsung 128GB SSD, Nvidia GTX260 GPU, and Antec 850watt modular Power supply this an extreme computer can do a lot with it

5xtxyc.jpg

For my Asus Xtreme Design I wanted to create an HTPC that could also support PC gaming. But I wanted it to have hardware with features that would add to the Home Theater and gaming experience. Instead of just answering your questions straight forward, I wanted to show you with a first person view. Here’s how it would go if I won:

My doorbell rang and I opened the door to find a box had arrived from Asus. I quickly grabbed the box and scampered off to my room: an awesome HTPC was about to be born! I unpacked everything and laid it carefully on the floor, surveying all of the awesome hardware before me. I could hardly contain my excitement; it was time to build!

I began with the case. I had already picked out the case before Asus sent me the other parts: the Sunbeam UV Blue Acrylic HTPC case. It took a while to put together, but I just couldn’t wait. The case was perfect; small enough to be an HTPC case yet it had just enough space to fit all of the killer parts I now owned. One of the best parts about it was that it was see-through and would show off all of the awesome hardware inside. It was also UV reactive, making it that much better for the ambient lighting effect I was going for with my design. After all, this was going to be the showpiece for my living room.

Case1.jpg

Even though my 50 inch plasma T.V. was definitely a tremendous eye-catcher when you entered the living room, I wasn’t content. After all, I barely ever got to use it. Weekends were the only free time I was getting lately and even then, I realized the T.V. alone was lacking a great HTPC to back it up. I am definitely glad I submitted my design just in time. My lighting idea would work perfectly. I had just gotten a set of speakers that would use multiple LEDs to add an ambient glow around my display. The LEDs would generate the same color as my T.V. I could watch a movie with lots of raging fire scenes and the ambient lights would glow red and orange. While watching the scene change to a jungle landscape, the lights would change to more of a green tone. When all said and done, this was going to be one amazing home theater display. I could immerse myself in the rich colors that all came from an easy installation CD. Now to continue with the build process.

Plasma1.jpg

First to install is the motherboard. Asus’ motherboard had awesome features that were the perfect combination for my HTPC build. With 10-channel HD audio, I will have my 5.1 audio system set to full surround sound in HD when viewing movies or playing games. 10-channel audio means there’s room to expand if I want to add surround speakers later. I know that if I run into problems when trying to boot up, I can quickly glance through the acrylic and troubleshoot the source with their Q-LED system. If the faulty hardware happens to be the memory, Asus’ MemOK! Tool can help me fix problems with just the push of a button. With the Q-Design, I can quickly access faulty hardware without having to remove too much other hardware. The hybrid phase design will help by load balancing on the phases, while keeping the temperatures of the phase low with the T.Probe chip. This will help my computer, as all of the awesome hardware is sure to need power but create heat, and in a smaller HTPC case heat can add up quickly to ruin the lifespan of my parts. And when I just want to use my HTPC to check my email before work, I can use Asus’ hybrid OS, which will allow me to access the internet in just seconds. The turbo button will also be a useful feature for me, as I can OC the system when gaming and then leave it at stock settings when watching HD movies.

Next to get installed was the CPU. Asus was generous enough to give me a new core i7 CPU. This CPU is fast enough to handle multiple applications at once, just in case a pesky antivirus scan begins while watching an HD movie. It will also be able to handle any gaming we wish to do. After I have my heatsink mounted, it will keep my overclock staying cool as well. The Corsair H50 is liquid cooled and will reduce extra noise.

Now to unwrap and install the memory. Asus again provided 4GB of G.Skill DDR 2133 CL9 TDS Trident Series memory. This memory is fast enough to temporarily store any movies we have loaded into queue, so that there isn’t a hiccup at all when playing HD and Blu-Ray movies. Since this computer is going to be all about speed, accessing movies and games with the help of G.Skill will be almost instant.

After I placed the last stick of memory into its slot, I glanced up at my 50in plasma T.V. and dreamed of racking up headshots in my latest first person shooter. When I looked back down at the hardware in front of me, I was immediately drawn to the graphics card. The GTX 260 that Nvidia sponsored was just barely going to fit in my case, but would be the backbone to support my 50in desktop. Watching high definition movies was one thing, but playing PC games on my T.V. was bound to make my friends a bit jealous.

Sitting right next to where I grabbed the GTX 260 was my T.V. tuner card. It was a no-brainer to buy one of these for when I would build my HTPC because It would allow me to watch and record my favorite episodes straight from the cable source. I was starting to get really excited as I placed the last piece of equipment into my Asus Mobo. I stood up and did a few laps around my medley of xtreme hardware. It looked amazing when all put together, but I was far from finished…

Searching frantically I finally found what I had thought to have misplaced, the Samsung 128GB solid state drive I would be using to run my new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. It was so small, hidden under my other HDD, but I knew its true form: raw speed. From what I had heard about these new SSD’s they were to give the best overall percent boost in system performance and I had one in the palm of my hand. Thank you, Samsung!! But also thanks to drive xpert provided by Asus, I would be able to raid my extra storage terabyte HDD and not waste the extra space that would be critical for storing my movies and music.

Moving on with my build, I threw in my old CD/DVD drive I got from a computer someone was throwing away at work. Until I had the money to spend on a shiny new Blu-ray drive…..hey wait, I was getting 90% of my parts from great sponsors who cared about us less fortunate geeks. I could save the money in no time! This was an overwhelming feeling of enjoyment! When the drive was set in place I remembered one key item. I had a media center remote that I would be programming later to handle practically all of the functions of my Home Theater PC ready to go. I put it aside and continued with my acquired parts.

When everything seemed to be in place, I knew what was next. This monster would need power. Live I tell you, Live! …..what? Antec had supplied me with more than enough to keep my computer running through a non-stop movie marathon. With the Antec True Power Quattro, I would have 850 energy efficient watts at my disposal. I thought it would take forever to sort through all the cords and find which ones I actually needed but Antec was thinking ahead. They made the PSU modular so that I could plug in only the cords needed. Wow, what a time saver. Plus it would give a little more breathing room inside my case.

I had my Razer Lycosa keyboard and Deathadder mouse ready to tear up the screen once my games were installed. Razer knows what gamers want. Thats why I'm already packing a Razer mousepad and the Armadillo weighted mousecord attachment as well. I am ready for those gaming sessions. They wont even know what hit em'.

Finally finished with the building process, I realized it was time to face the last of my worries; the initial boot. I would like to tell you it was all dramatic and everything went to hell but it just didn’t. My brand spanking new computer booted right up. The motherboard Asus had delivered, along with all the sponsored hardware fused technology beautifully. It was spectacular. I dove right in and found myself surrounded with features. I couldn’t wait to get started discovering and sharing the possibilities with what I was given.

To Be Continued…

Edited by Seventh_Sliver

• 1 month later...

ASUS would like to thank all of the participants of the Xtreme Design Contest! We also want to give a shout out to all of the sponsored partners of the event: ASUS, Intel, Nvidia, Razer, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec!

The top 5 winners are:

1st Place, Zads: http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/45771.aspx

2nd Place, Tim Shadler: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=468038

3rd Place, Redtigerdragon: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=169721

4th Place, Lemiwinks : http://forums.firingsquad.com/t5/Hardware-...nks/td-p/398604

5th place, OttoYu34: http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/45493.aspx?PageIndex=1

We hope to see you all in our future contests!