AMD Budget Gaming Build

AZJake

Hey, guys. I just put this build together for moderate gaming graphics work, and I thought I would ask your opinions.

It's not top of the line, but then again, it isn't meant to be.

I want it to handle all my gaming needs without instability, and it's going to run Vista 64-bit and eventually Win 7 after October.

Also, I'm looking for a quick and easy stable overclock. I heard that leaving the voltage at default and putting the multipliet at 17, you can get 3.2 easy.

Thanks for the input.

- AZJjake

Build Specs:

Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Processor

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 SDRAM

Two Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0

x16 HDCP Video Card

SAMSUNG SH-S223B Black 22X DVD Burner

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Antec TruePower TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V

V2.91 PSU

Scythe SCBSK-1000 120mm Low Profile CPU Cooler

HP 2159m Black 21.5" 5ms, 3ms(GTG) HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD

Monitor - Retail

AFT XM5U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit with Win 7 upgrade

welcome to occ...

not a bad rig, should handle most recent games quite well.

as far as overclocking the cpu goes (you should not take other people's overclocking results and apply them to your system as cpu's of even the same batch can perform quite differently outside of stock settings), simply bump the multiplier up in the smallest increments then boot into windows and test for stability with prime 95 or occt each time for about ten minutes...

once you reach instability (bsod, restart, freeze, etc.) simply raise the v-core by about .5 and restart and test for stability the same way until system becomes stable.

chances are, you can go up a multiplier whole number without needing any extra voltage.

*(make sure the cool and quiet feature and spread spectrum are disabled in bios before attempting to overclock as they can interfere with results)*

after reaching a basically stable and satisfactory overclock, test for stability for 12-24 hours to make sure it's solid :)

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

yes...

but the build has already been put together, right?

if not, you should bump up to atleast a 4850...

otherwise that card should be fine :)

woops did not see that sorry thanks for catching that, anyways ya i'd definatly OC that 4830. use ati tool unless anyone else has a better test for an ati card

hmm i would probably order everything except that 4830 i would save my pennies a little longer and get a 4870 or something like that, otherwise that looks like an ok build. :thumbs-up: ;)

Thing is, I read this review: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardwar.../45307.aspx?p=2

I just can't see spending more than $100 for a GPU, and this seemed like a greater general purpose card without sacrificing power:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102822

About the GPU spend $5 extra and get a similar HD 4850

Sapphire 4850

It would be a good idea to to link the components to their newegg page or just post a newegg cart or wishlist for the details.

Anyways what is the latency of the RAM??

I think Core Contact freezer would be a better CPU Cooler for a similar price - Newwegg link

Motherboard isn't the best but probably best in the price range... (Consider an upgrade though)

Rest seems fine..!! :thumbs-up:

No comments on LCD/ card reader (I dont know much about them)