My Very First OC

So I am very new to this whole Overclocking thing but I did spend a decent amount of time doing some reading and as far as I can tell everything went great. I was able to get my E8500 up to 3.8GHz but not after some tweaking. It was strange, I was able to push this chip up to 3.7 stable without any changing of voltage but to go above that I had to jump the vcore from 1.231 to 1.306 which is still well well inside the usable range. Something else I found strange was I am getting a big vdroop, and its by different numbers in diff places. My bios says my chip is at 1.28, as well as Everest but CPU-z says its 1.296, not a big deal just found it strange. Also if I can push my 800MHz RAM to say 830MHz stable would that be beneficial or is it just better to tighten timings?

post-64003-1248964497_thumb.jpg

Only going from 800 to 830 you probably won't see any difference at all. You can try to get that pushed up a ways higher or go for tighter timings. But in reality you won't see that performance gain in anything except synthetic benchmarks.

That voltage jump is pretty normal. I lot of CPUs will go a ways on nothing and then need a decent increase. My AMD PII 940 is the same way. 1.392v for 3.5GHz -> 1.46v for 3.6GHz.

Nice OC btw :)

The only way you may actually see a performance increase is by tightening the timings. Increasing the overall speed does not do much and you don't see anything except for in benchmarks.

Did you do any stability testing?

The difference between what your BIOS says your voltage is sitting at and what an application is saying is called the vDroop, some of the more high powered boards have an option to compensate for it, which if that setting is enabled, you may have a higher voltage displayed inside of windows than you have set in the BIOS.

Looks like you are off to a good start. What are your full load temperatures? Go a head and run over to the Socket 775 overclocking competition to post your results with your OCCT 1 hour stability test and lets see what your superPI scores are :)

Like others have mentioned you are not going to notice much of a difference in your RAM speeds, however if you have tighter timings, you are going to be able to see some differences in real world applications such as your games you are playing. You will notice a little bit of a drop in time to calculate your 1 million digits of PI at either high frequency or tight timings.

Hope this helps and good luck with overclocking :)

Ive messed arround plenty of times over the years trying to overclock, but ive never actually gotten a 100% stable OC :(

Right now i have the DKA790GX platinum and its got 2 dip switches on the mobo itself, flip them both to 'off' and its supposed to automatically set a 20% stable OC. I tried this and only got bsod's, this was even after i set the bios setting to 'failsafe defaults' and set the losest memory timings possible, so im stumped as to what im supposed to do as ajmatson's reveiw here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/dka790gx/7.htm shows the board stable using the switches :blink: can anyone please help me understand what im supposed to do when OC'ing, on a step by step basis for this system? Thanks :)

Thanks for the reply guys. I dont think I will be needing to push my RAM past 800 just like you guys said and yes my system is stable. I was able to run IntelBurnTest v2.3 on high, for 5 cycles without any errors. I did this 3 times to make sure that it was stable. I dont think im done pushing the CPU tho, im pretty sure I can get it to go higher, the 3.8 I have it on right now was achieved by only upping vcore and NB voltage to get higher than 3.7, and I havent had to change anything since then, so I should be able to squeeze plenty more out. Under full load with ambient temps of 30C in my room I was hitting 65C while running IntelBurnTest. Usually idles around 37C - 40C, so im not worried about that. I will be running OCCT later tonight wehn I get home (im at work right now)

Yeah I was able to push the chip to 3.83 last night but I had to run Prime95 as my stress instead of OCCT because I forgot to disable my screen saver and it kept causing OCCT to go to black screen and I thought that was a sign of crashing, good thing I looked into it instead of just raising voltages. I should be able to resolve that issue and possibly POSSIBLY get it up to 4GHz.

Oh when I ran Prime95 for an hour with ambient temps of 29C my max temp was 55C on core0, so thats actually really good. I didnt realize how much more intense IntelBurnTest was