overclocking AMD phenon 9950 quad-core processor

Hello guys,

I'm new to these forums, and a very big noob when it comes to computers. I know a bit about them, but i wouldn't be able to go into the BIOS/CMOS on my own.

So I'm basically posting here to get all the instructions on how to overclock my processor. Without any instructions i would basically just screw up...and i don't want to screw my gaming computer up.

I don't know what to install on my computer to get the temperatures of my computer, so that i don't overclock it too much that it makes too much heat and damages more parts in the box. My video card runs at 75% fan rate and the temperature is at a constant 46-48 degrees. I only have one fan at the back on my computer to circulate the air. I'm planning to get another one on the top, but that it not for another month or two when i get more money. This is just a basic description to help you try and figure out what would be the best for me to do.

Thank you very much for all your help that you will provide me, so that i can get more out of my computer.

I await your answer.

Patrick

Are you running the stock AMD cooler or an aftermarket cooler?

Since you are completely new and are unsure of where to start, I would recommend reading through some of the guides stickied at the top of this section. You'll need a basic understanding of overclocking and how its accomplished before anyone can be of much help to you. It won't take but a few minutes worth of reading and you should have a starting grasp on the concepts.

Some programs you might need are:

PC Wizard = Identifies hardware in your computer as well as measures temps and speeds.

CPU-z= Clocks your Processor and Memory

OCCT= Over Clockers Checking Tool. Basically a Stability testing program.

I'm new to this as well but I know a wee bit :) Thanks to everyone here at OCC

If your looking to get into the overclocking world the this is the place to be!!!

Good luck and more importantly have fun!!!

(nuclear)

I'm pretty sure(90%) I'm running the stock AMD cooler.

And i did read the stickies, FAQ and some other posts/threads about how to over clock. I have a good idea now, but it's just to put that idea in place....I know where to go in the BIOS, but not sure what else to do.

(tman)

I just downloaded those programs. Not sire what i should be checking with them though...there's many things on it lol...not sure what information are useful and what are just useless...

So, now that i have a good idea what to do, is there any steps that someone could help me with on how to do it please?

welcome to occ;

before doing any cpu overclocking, you should definitely get a good 3rd party cpu cooler...

using a stock cooler isn't going to get very far overclocking and will increase the chances of overheating and damaging the cpu when pushing it to higher frequencies to make it faster.

not sure how much you may be willing to spend, but this is quite a nice one to have.

sorry to be the bearer of any bad news, but a good cpu cooler is something you must have in order to overclock a cpu with any decent results.

helping you out shouldn't be a problem at all by the way, it's really not that difficult to overclock...

it's simply trial and error, and patience mostly.

here is something you should read over, it's not the same processor you're using but the process is the same.

what are the rest of your system specs?

are you using a pre-built computer or did you put it together yourself?

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

i agree with the other posts here and definately read the stickies posted above. To overclock that processor all you have to do to start off is raise the multiplier. You can overclock it a little but i wouldn't do much until u get a good cooler. the good thing is at least the old phenoms don't mind heat as much as the new ones though they have a lot less overclocking headroom... with a good cooler you good probably get it to 3.0-3.2 ghz depending on how lucky a chip you got

Edited by usaweapon777

yes indeed...

if that's a black edition cpu, simply raise the multiplier in the smallest increment instead of the fsb or htt bus and you should be good to go on overclocking as long as you take it slow and check for stability and watch the temps...

black editon cpu's are much easier to overclock with the unlocked multiplier.

don't be afraid to run into problems such as blue screens and freezing, as this are simply signs of the cpu needing more voltage (or less in some cases if you give too much...remember to do these things slow in v-e-r-y small increments and have patience), your overclock being too high and unstable, or etc. circumstances.

if these things happen and you can't get into the bios, simply reset the cmos (there should be a reset cmos button located somewhere on the motherboard)... just be sure to turn off and unplug the power supply before doing it.

definitely look into getting a good third party cooler though, as without it overclocks will not be nearly as good, if any.

by the way...

to get into the bios, there should be a certain button such as delete or f2 or something to press before or during POST (power on self test...what the computer does before booting to make sure components are operating correctly)...

you should check the motherboard manual for this, or it should be displayed when turning on the computer.

when doing things in the bios, assuming you want to save it to keep the setting, remember to save and exit when exiting the bios (the bios can be reset to default settings easily by pressing the reset cmos button... unless you have an older motherboard, there may be a jumper).

Edited by Maj0r Gamer