An end to all consoles and graphic cards

Warby35

Hi all, I just stumbled on this http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-10202688-235.html If it goes down well (and I see no reason why not) it would mean an end to gaming as we know it. Very exiting!!

Warby

Sorry if it has been mentioned, couldn't see it

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true gamers paradise!!

Eh. I wouldn't go that far.

First of all, who knows if this will even happen. I think there's a lot of potential but it could fail miserably too. Second, part of the "gamer" experience for me is having the game case and booklet and materials. That's the main reason I dislike Steam. I would think this could have the same problem for me.

Damn... I had this Idea like 4 years ago... wish I had patented it. Hope this actually does come out though. A true gamers paradise!!

Sorry, its been in development for 7 years (top secret)

Eh. I wouldn't go that far.

First of all, who knows if this will even happen. I think there's a lot of potential but it could fail miserably too. Second, part of the "gamer" experience for me is having the game case and booklet and materials. That's the main reason I dislike Steam. I would think this could have the same problem for me.

Very true. And not saying I would get rid of my consoles, but you dont think that they would put online game manuals and also give you the option to download the game if you wished?

Im just lazy and get tired of running to the store to pick up a new game whenever one comes out I want(20 miles from the closest gamestop or walmart).. I dont use steam either though.

Damn... I had this Idea like 4 years ago... wish I had patented it. Hope this actually does come out though. A true gamers paradise!!

Hehe, it was 7 years in the making. Your still 3 years short.

Yea, 720p, but that would work with any netbook out there :D. Or any regular laptop for the matter.

Edited by Krazyxazn

It only does 720p. That's the main reason I think it won't catch on.

Nah, it won't fail because of that. Look at sales numbers for the Wii compared to the PS3 and 360.

I don't have the time to read it currently, but just going at face value (yah, flawed concept I know) I already see faults. It's too ambitious is why it will fail. If the client doesn't matter than everything will be done server side. How is it going to handle millions of different games being streamed at the same time? Even those MMORPG games require a decent computer client side.

When your games start lagging due to the server lag you're gonna get pissed.

Then you have Verran's arguement as well, which I fall under the same category. I like that feeling of unwrapping a game in anticipation of playing and having ready at my disposal to play any time I like. I like not having to rely on the internet to access my games. And speaking of which, not everyone can afford high-speed internet even though it is getting extremely common. Many people have consoles that are not hooked up to the internet.

I'll get a better feel for this once I have time to actually sit down and read this and it may answer some of my concerns but already I'm seeing some major technical hurdles to get past. PCs will be affected before consoles will.

Very true. And not saying I would get rid of my consoles, but you dont think that they would put online game manuals and also give you the option to download the game if you wished?

Right, but that's not really the same. A PDF manual is electrons. A game download is electrons. A game case, CD, and manual are real tangible objects. If Steam goes away, you're effed on all the content they sold you. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it won't be around forever. I kinda like the idea of breaking out my StarCraft discs when I'm 45, installing it in Windows 17's compatibility mode and showing them what 3 teams of 12 Protoss Carriers with fully expanded Interceptor bays can do :)

Services like this and Steam sell intangible products. I just don't like that and I certainly don't like being reliant on them for access to content I bought.