Ebay/paypal Policies Bull**** = Scammers Delight

Rokkaholik

As with anyone who's ever sold ANYTHING on ebay, I try to protect my butt... I describe my items as good as I can, take good pics, verify that items work as they should etc, and then list them.

About a year ago, my brothers PC crapped out and needed a motherboard. I got one off ebay as his model was listed in the compatible section. I should have looked into it further because although it did work in that model, it did NOT work with a Pentium D chip, only a P4 or P4 HT. So, I had to get another anyway. I did keep the motherboard I had just in case because my backup machine as well as my parents and little brothers are all Dell 5150's with P4 HT's.

I'm currently upgrading all my family's PC's so I decided to sell that motherboard. Before even listing it, I took it to my machine upstairs and installed it, booted it up and let it run for a few hours to verify it worked fine. I put my regular one back in, and then came down and listed it on ebay.

It sold and I sent it off the next day as I usually do. Today, 2 weeks later, the buyer sends me an e-mail:

i had our IT department install this board and they noticed while

mounting the board that there's parts of the board that looks

singed. After plugging in all the cords, CPU and RAM, this board

does not boot. The green ready light on the board doesn't even

light. We then proceeded to put this in even another working

E510, the green ready light does not light up either--board is

DOA.

My Response:

Oddly enough, I had that exact board working in my machine upstairs. It was tested

before I even listed it so I could avoid this dilemma. Please Return the board I sent,

and I'll verify the serial number and that it does not boot up as you claim

I just talked to PayPal to get the process figured out, and although the guy was nice, it looks like I'll be getting the shaft on this. I ALWAYS take good pics and the serial number is always in pics of the things I sell if possible. I'm hoping this guy tries to send me a different Mobo because then I'll have him. BUT... If it is the same board, how do I know that they did't try to install it upside down, Install memory with the board running, ZAP it somehow, etc... All I know for a fact is that I did have it running before I ever listed it. I explained that to the PayPal guy and he said that there's not really any way for me to prove that, just as there's not really any way to prove that the buyer screwed up the board when they got it, so either way, I'm out the cash, unless he tries to pull a switcheroo. My dumb @$$ should have taken a picture of the Bios screen with the serial and Service Tag number :glare: Hindsight = 20/20

For anyone here that DOES sell on ebay, protect your BUTT! With the feedback system they have in place now, it 90% protects the buyer. Take good pics, note ANY defects, write down serial numbers or GET PICS! I've even gone as far as to take a sharpie and make a very small indiscreet mark where only I'd find it, just to protect myself in case of a switcheroo.

On a side note:

I accidently protected myself a few years ago with a guiter I sold on ebay. They buyer contacts me 3 weeks after the auction wanting a partial or full refund because he opened the case, and the guitars headstock was broken. He said it happened in shipping, but didn't want to bother with a UPS Insurance claim. Isn't that why I paid for insurance to begin with? After 5-6 e-mails back and forth, asking for better pics of the broken area as well as the box it was shipped in, , I got one where I noticed the serial number on the back of the headstock, and noticed the one on the guitar I sold. It was a different guitar!!!!! I think the buyer was hesitant to send the pics which is why it took that many e-mails. The "supposed" damage on the guitar, case and the box it was shipped in, didn't match up in the pics. After throwing the serial number picture from the auction back at him along side the pic of the broken headstock he sent me, he backed off immediately, and then came back with a story of how he and a friend had the exact same guitar and his friend took his and left the broken one, etc.... :rolleyes:

Update 02-17-09

Well... I got the motherboard back from the buyer, and these supposed singe marks are nowhere to be seen. It is indeed the same Mobo I sent him. I put it on my spare power supply and sure enough, the green ready light that he said would NOT come on, came on perfectly.

I then brought the Mobo upstairs to my backup PC, which is a Dell E510 with a P4-HT, and upon install, it booted perfectly, and went straight to the Windows screen without a problem. I took pics of the entire process.

This where it gets "interesting"

PayPal had locked up my account because of the buyers claim. I had some purchases to make a few days ago, so I had to get my account back to ZERO, so after talking with their rep about doing it, I was told to add funds from my account so they could put them into holding until the dispute was resolved. I even made sure to ask him if the case was decided in my favor, if I'd get the funds back along with the fees I had incurred due to the dispute. He assured me that if I had won, then the buyer would have to send me shipping again so I could send the mobo back. So guess what... I sent the funds.

Stupid me...

I contacted PayPal with my findings on the motherboard and explained to them that it was working and I had the PROOF along with the pics. I asked where to send the pics to the dispite resolution people and the rep basically told me that as long as I have the motherboard back and it's working, I have a resellable item, so the case was going to be closed and the buyer would be refunded.

Needless to say, I went off on her...

I got the run around for the next 15 minutes about how it's their policy to side with the buyer when the item is returned to the seller. I told her next time that I would NOT be sending any funds to them, and would lock up my account with them. She then said that PayPal has the capability to force the transaction with my bank if necessary. I asked how that was possible if there was no funds to be taken, because I could take care of that faster than she could put in the "force". It's as easy as a call to my bank and locking any/all PayPal transactions from withdrawing. It went on and on for another 10 minutes until she sent me to an ebay rep, to file a Fee claim to get my listing fees back.

After explaining the situation to that rep, I then got the runaround from the ebay rep about feedback. The buyer can still NEG me, even if he was in the wrong, and the rep said that they cannot legally change the feedback. "Legally"? It's your site isn't it? What's "Law" have to do with it? He was trying to be nice about it, and I do know his hands are tied because he's only an employee. I could tell he understood my side as well, so I'll give him that...

I was able to file a buyer complaint that'll go on his record just in case he has other returns and they see a pattern, but we all know where that'll go. I got my fees back as well, and now have to relist. Ebay MAKES sellers display a PayPal thing in all auctions now, but I'm not taking PayPal again for this auction, no matter what they say. Here's the pics of the working Mobo:

IMG_8001.jpg

Notice the working green light?

IMG_8002.jpg

Service Tag and Express Service code on the Mobo

IMG_8012.jpg

Booting up

IMG_8015.jpg

Booted up

IMG_8016.jpg

Edited by Rokkaholik

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never send goods until paypal clears. Then if the buyer wants to dispute, PayPal can attempt to take me to court with a negative balance after chargeback and pre-empting this by changing my personal account associated with PayPal (thus they can't take money off you) ;) Have good evidence that it was working before it left you, and it's all good imo.

A lot of scammers out there, but stick to your guns.

I have bought and sold quite a few things on ebay and with nearly 500 transactions and 100% feedback I have had only one problem transaction but maybe I've been lucky?

I security mark, in one way or another, everything I sell so if there is a problem I know I'm getting the right goods back. I try to sell PC part on a no returns basis and make it clear its fully tested before despatch and the buyer takes the risk. I put something like "No returns accepted or refunds given on this item", this should also prevent paypal reclaiming any money! This is not usually a problem but I suppose my transaction/feedback helps.

Changing the paypal account associated with an ebay account is a common scammers trick! ;)

I don't think ebay is evil in any way and is a convenient and useful selling/buying tool if care is taken.

Cheers

Paul

Ive been burned before and I 100% agree with you. Its all a gamble when you put things up. Ebay and Paypal really dont offer any protection and when it comes down to your word vs theirs they are going to go the route that looses them the least money. Its a .ing evil way to do business and I hope some other alternative rolls around. Ebaying things is a last resort if I cant find a buyer through forums.

Edited by SMeeD

Any electronic items I sell on ebay I always make sure to note everything is working and in good condition, and I also accept NO REFUNDS! I also make a note to buyers that after the item has been shipped out it's the buyers responibility to make sure it's working and their buying at their own risk.

and I also accept NO REFUNDS! I also make a note to buyers that after the item has been shipped out it's the buyers responibility to make sure it's working and their buying at their own risk.

That's right, NO RETURNS! I just sold a motherboard on ebay, and I made sure to say no returns. Still sold for $200 :)

Agreed....

and if the item sold and you offered a 7day standard refund and they contact you after that date you are safe to not refund a thing...or accept shipment...just refuse it if it gets sent back after the date...

I have had lengthy talks with Ebay and Paypal as of late over an auction I had where Paypal put a 21day hold on the money for an Item I sold on Ebay...

My policy is I do NOT ship until money clears...Ebay and Paypal deem the money cleared once it is deposited and shown in the account whether it is accessible by you or not....

for your safety you should ALWAYS ship any Ebay product with Signature confirmation...that way they cant say they didnt get it...Ebay told me this directly...

They say they have 750 Million accounts and half of them have fraud pending...thats not good...

Taking pictures and marking your product in a way that cant be seen is a good idea...they even have those that know how to switch the serial number tag on products...all you need is a hairdryer...

I have had boards sold and I have gotten back busted boards with the same serial number code but the board was minus the marking I took pictures of...once they file a dispute I turn it over as fraud...I submit pictures to Paypal and forward them to the local authorities in the state of the purchaser...

Agreed....

and if the item sold and you offered a 7day standard refund and they contact you after that date you are safe to not refund a thing...or accept shipment...just refuse it if it gets sent back after the date...

I have had lengthy talks with Ebay and Paypal as of late over an auction I had where Paypal put a 21day hold on the money for an Item I sold on Ebay...

My policy is I do NOT ship until money clears...Ebay and Paypal deem the money cleared once it is deposited and shown in the account whether it is accessible by you or not....

for your safety you should ALWAYS ship any Ebay product with Signature confirmation...that way they cant say they didnt get it...Ebay told me this directly...

They say they have 750 Million accounts and half of them have fraud pending...thats not good...

Taking pictures and marking your product in a way that cant be seen is a good idea...they even have those that know how to switch the serial number tag on products...all you need is a hairdryer...

I have had boards sold and I have gotten back busted boards with the same serial number code but the board was minus the marking I took pictures of...once they file a dispute I turn it over as fraud...I submit pictures to Paypal and forward them to the local authorities in the state of the purchaser...

Glad you posted this, 50% have fraud pending? I do not need the money. Going to delete my one and only item I just put on escam...

I state on all of my auctions that I don't accept e-checks. Paypal or money orders only. I would not abandon ebay because of a few bad apples.

I dont have time to mess with the bad apples, I will just throw the stuff in the shed. Life is to short for all that BS...

I state on all of my auctions that I don't accept e-checks. Paypal or money orders only. I would not abandon ebay because of a few bad apples.

The last time I put up a posting saying no e-cheques the listing was taken down. It's apparently against the rules to refuse e-cheques via paypal and if it's spotted the listing will be removed.

Cheers

Paul