Uh Oh.... Something Screwed Up And Now I Think I'm Screwed

mikozee

So me, being ignorant, took my heatsink off my CPU. I didn't know you had to reapply thermal grease to get it to work again.

So I bought one, took off all the leftovers from the last one with 91% alcohol, and reapplied it.

Then I put my heatsink back on and give it a few minutes for it to "stick" to the CPU.

Right now, I just attached my computer back and turned it on.

What a shock for me.... The computer starts beeping in an unnatural tone that I have never heard before and now the fan keeps running at high speed while nothing is showing up on the monitor.

And yes, I'm not an idiot; the monitor IS connected.

If anyone's curious, here's my CPU and Heatsink (it's the same one in the pictures)

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/274/10

Is this normal?

Do you have a tube of TIM handy?

How long did you run it like that?

What did you buy one of? Another heatsink?

It's highly recommended that you reapply your thermal interface material when you change your heatsink (if the heatsink is in any different orientation - even by a little bit - it won't really do its job)

However, this is probably not catastrophic. Here's why: the TIM is basically there to make up for any inclusions / unevenness / poor contact between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor's heatspreader. If one were to obtain optimal surfaces, it would be better to just have the heatsink in contact with the heatspreader. Alas, it is usually not in the means of the general user to obtain this. Hence, TIM.

Flip the switch on your power supply to off. Remove the cord. Clear your CMOS (see your motherboard manual). Reseat your processor. Reseat your heatsink, using the TIM instructions on the arctic silver website - for your processor type - don't forget to clean the surfaces completely, use new TIM.

Plug it back in, flip the switch and fire it up.

i booted up all the way to windows once without thermal paste, it had all these weird colors but lucky CE1 and thermal clock was still on so i had no problems when i figured out what i did wrong.

if your lucky the bios was at stock settings and all intel and AMD chips have thermal clockback now so reapply thermal paste and crossfingers.

on a side note the last time i smerred the thermal paste like all the manuals show, it was 15c higher! just put a beebee size drop in the middle and push that heatsink on.

Do you have a tube of TIM handy?

How long did you run it like that?

What did you buy one of? Another heatsink?

It's highly recommended that you reapply your thermal interface material when you change your heatsink (if the heatsink is in any different orientation - even by a little bit - it won't really do its job)

However, this is probably not catastrophic. Here's why: the TIM is basically there to make up for any inclusions / unevenness / poor contact between the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the processor's heatspreader. If one were to obtain optimal surfaces, it would be better to just have the heatsink in contact with the heatspreader. Alas, it is usually not in the means of the general user to obtain this. Hence, TIM.

Flip the switch on your power supply to off. Remove the cord. Clear your CMOS (see your motherboard manual). Reseat your processor. Reseat your heatsink, using the TIM instructions on the arctic silver website - for your processor type - don't forget to clean the surfaces completely, use new TIM.

Plug it back in, flip the switch and fire it up.

Well all this happened in 2 days, including today. I took my heatsink off yesterday and tried booting up the computer without any grease on it and learned that I needed it.

I bought a tube of thermal compound today and JUST applied it right now. (well technically around 30 minute ago). As I said, when I boot up the computer, the computer makes 3 beeping sounds at a 1 second interval and the fan just runs on high. But nothing shows up on the monitor.

And no, I didn't change anything; Same CPU, same heatsink, same computer, same EVERYTHING.

How do I reset my processor? As for CMOS, not likely to happen as I threw away my manual years ago (my computer is 5 years old).

Well, those are error beeps...chances are your computer is crying for help and you can't speak its language :lol:

Reseat = remove processor, reinstall processor

Try it with your RAM first, then graphics card(s), then power connections, then processor (most work involved...).

Luck! :thumbs-up:

I had that, but when I hit the RAM it fell out somehow no idea how might have been me being annoyed and catched the clip, than I heard a bang and off comes my heatsink -.-( comp was not on at all) it turned out all it wanted was its RAM xD

Three beeps usually means no video output. Your best bet is to clear the CMOS, but if you are using integrated it could get worse. I wouldn't worry though, I had my HSF fall all the way off once and all my puter did was shut down. :lol:

Edited by ocmooz

I had that, but when I hit the RAM it fell out somehow no idea how might have been me being annoyed and catched the clip, than I heard a bang and off comes my heatsink -.-( comp was not on at all) it turned out all it wanted was its RAM xD

I did some quick research on Intel mobo's and it seems that 3 beeps do mean there's some RAM problem.

However, as far as I can tell, the RAM is clearly in. I put it in all 4 ports and I even tried it flipped (so a total of 8 times). None of them seems to have any remedy to my problem.

If I clear my CMOS by removing the watch battery, what should I be expecting? What's the worst that can happen? I'm pretty sure it won't do anything to the harddrive like format it, but I'm stil worried nevertheless.

I did some quick research on Intel mobo's and it seems that 3 beeps do mean there's some RAM problem.

However, as far as I can tell, the RAM is clearly in. I put it in all 4 ports and I even tried it flipped (so a total of 8 times). None of them seems to have any remedy to my problem.

If I clear my CMOS by removing the watch battery, what should I be expecting? What's the worst that can happen? I'm pretty sure it won't do anything to the harddrive like format it, but I'm stil worried nevertheless.

Removing the battery wont erase your HDD.

A better method is to find the battery, located near it should be 3 pins, two are connected by a small jumper. With the computer powered off, move this jumper to connect the other 2 pins. Turn on the computer, fans should spin but nothing else should happen. Leave it like this for 5seconds-10seconds.

Hold the power button until the machine turns off, after this is done - move the jumper back to its original location.

If this doesnt work, you need to really listen for the beep codes. If its a ram beep code try ONE ram stick in each slot, the another ONE ram stick in each slot. (assuming you have two) If this does not work, try ram you KNOW works.

Honestly before all this. I would remove the MB set it on a cardboard box.

Install only the CPU, HSU, RAM and video card(unless integrated)... No CD no HDDs no sound cards, no bull crap.

Connect the PSU and touch the pins on the MB that start the PC with a screw driver or something.

Do this all outside the PC case. if video pops up....

Put it INSIDE the case and try again, if video pops up.

Start adding each component one and a time.

Sound cards, HDDs, CD-ROMs, etc.

If video does NOT popup once the MB/CPU/HSU/video are in the case, this means some bare metal is shorting the MB somehow.

Check under the MB on the try to make sure you using proper spacers and all that.

Would you care to clarify this a little?

The Ram modules only fit one way....

Yeah if you were actually able to flip your RAM 180 degrees and you forced it in it's busted

As for the beeps on every MOBO they mean something else. You will need to know the manufacturer and model in order to decode what these beeps mean. I'd make sure your looking at the exact MOBO you have because some manufacturers will not use the same beep code for different MOBO's.

Is your MOBO a MOBO made by Intel or just an Intel chipset?