Andrewr05's El-cheapo Build

Andrewr05

Things I have so far:

Antec P182 (overkill for my budget, in fact I'm almost thinking about selling it off for a good profit)

Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT (Thanks OCC!)

2 sets of 2x 1GB random memory (assumed to be working but could potentially be dead)

1x Pentium 4 2.53Ghz (assumed to be working but could potentially be dead)

Possibly a hardrive of unknon capacity (assumed to be working but could potentially be dead)

Misc optical drives, DVD burner DVD rom CDburner etc...

Things in my Newegg cart now:

WD Caviar 160GB $41.99

Acer X193W+BD 19" $139.99

Antec True Power Trio430W $39.99

GIGABYTE GA-P31-ES3G $64.99

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 $36.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound $5.99

Thats about $329 inc. shipping, I currently have ~$350 at my disposal.

(If I sell off that P182 and get a cheaper case that ought to bump it up a bit)

Any suggestions on any of those things?

Anything that is more for the same amount of money or the same for cheaper?

I'm not limited to just Newegg either, if you can find equivalent or better items at another reputable store let me know.

That stuff is being boughtificated within the next week, unless I'm given alternatives.

:)

Kinda pisses me off that my laptop had to break, I'd be $100 richer if it didn't...

Also if anyone has anything they don't want you can post it up with prices and we can negotiate through PM if it strikes my fancy...

Edited by Andrewr05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't afford a decent C2D, don't you think you'd be better off with a C2D and stock heatsink?
*Does not compute*

:blink:

I cannot afford a C2D right now, I'm going to use the processor I have and buy a C2D sometime down the road...

Edited by Andrewr05

Checked out the Barebones Kits at TigerDirect? Unbelievably cheap IMO.

Also there are really cheap 3-4 year old prebuilts on ebay all of the time, some great deals to be had. P4 machines are cheaper than dirt. I helped a neighbor buy this one, not the best deal I found either. The thing is like new and lightning fast.

Unless you could find a package with a display, I'd get that Acer display from the Egg, a good value and a good monitor.

Edited by Phil

If you can hold off on a new monitor, you could get yourself a better system. I personally don't think going for a 19" would be a good upgrade, save up for at least a 22". Check the [H] forums every now and again; a while ago someone was selling a 22" Asus with a SPVA panel for $150. There's good deals on monitors to be found there every now and again. Then again it might be worth a little wait to head over there and make a WTB thread and see what you can come up with, if you don't mind used.

Anyhow, here's a little something I came up with if you're stuck with Newegg.

Antec Trio 430w - $40

AS5 - $6

Scythe Ninja Mini - $36

E7300 - $120

Biostar TForce P43 - $90

250GB Seagate Barracuda - $50

Total w/ shipping - $353.96

You get better performance from the E7300 and if all four sticks of RAM are working, you can have 4GB. You get a little more upgrade room with this. And of course if you don't need that much drive space, you can knock ~ $8 off the total by going with a 160GB. I can vouch for that particular Seagate, however, I used it as my main drive for about a year.

Also, keep the P182; even if you sell it, whatever you buy in place of it will eat up the extra money with shipping.

Edited by nVidia_Freak

Just making sure, your P4 and RAM are s775 and DDR2 respectively?
CPU is a P4 521 (2.8Ghz, not the 3.5 I thought it was)

1st set of memory are Nanya PC2-4200 2x 512Mb

2nd are ProMOS PC2-6400 2x 512Mb

oops thought they both were 1GB x2

They will suffice however...

Checked out the Barebones Kits at TigerDirect? Unbelievably cheap IMO.
I think I looked at those before, I'll have to give them another gander and see if there are any good setups...

Antec Trio 430w - $40

AS5 - $6

Scythe Ninja Mini - $36

E7300 - $120

Biostar TForce P43 - $90

250GB Seagate Barracuda - $50

Total w/ shipping - $353.96

You get better performance from the E7300 and if all four sticks of RAM are working, you can have 4GB. You get a little more upgrade room with this. And of course if you don't need that much drive space, you can knock ~ $8 off the total by going with a 160GB.

I'm fine using the P4 until I can afford a C2D, they both work in the same board (obviously) so down the road I can just throw it in and be done.

Also, keep the P182; even if you sell it, whatever you buy in place of it will eat up the extra money with shipping.
If I sold it for $150 I would make quite a bit of profit, then I could get a cheaper case ($40-$50) and get some other things or upgrade what I'm thinking of getting. Edited by Andrewr05

I have a Core 2 Duo E6300 and I have nothing to do with it.

I also have 2GB of DDR2 Ram.

Ya innarested?

Both of them... $80!

Also a Dell 17" Monitor if you want it.

Edited by Krow

Seems like I saw a similar thread that you were building this rig not to long ago? :unsure:
This is like my finalized build thread.

(sort of)

I have a Core 2 Duo E6300 and I have nothing to do with it.

I also have 2GB of DDR2 Ram.

Both of them... $80!

I may be interested, in fact I was going to make a WTB thread before completely committing to anything from retail.

you looking for ide or sata hd's
Well I've got an IDE here that will suffice (20GB) but I figured I'd pick up a cheap/ good sized hardrive as the 20GB drive will get filled up rather quickly...

:closedeyes:

Edited by Andrewr05