Cannot Get Past Ivicd.sys On Boot

BlaineBug

Well, here's the deal. I just got my motherboard back yesterday from getting it repaired by Asus under warranty (A8n32 SLI Deluxe)

I put my system back together and wallah, it worked perfectly last night. It was quite late so I shut it down and went to bed.

Today before booting up I switched the IDE cable for my DVD and DCRW drives from IDE port 2 to IDE port 1.

I go to boot and instead of showing the Windows "loading" screen all I get is a blank screen that will stay there forever.

When i try to boot into safe mode it stops at ivicd.sys.

I reset the bios to stock settings. Now I do have to have ACPI support disabled for this system to boot (always had to do that.) However when you reset the bios it restores ACPI support.

If I choose for windows to boot normally or with the last settings that worked (with ACPI support enabled, remember) it will go to the Windows loading screen but then shoots right over to the "blue screen of death" telling me I have to disable ACPI support.

Now my question isn't about ACPI support but rather about this ivicd.sys file that keeps the system from booting. Could it have been me merely switching the DVD and CDRW drives from IDE port 2 to IDE port 1? That's the only thing I changed between last night (when it worked perfectly) and today, when it will not boot up.

Any ideas?

Oh and the full extension for the file it keeps hanging on is windows\system32\drivers\ivicd.sys. I searched and apparently this file has to do with my Intervideo DVD player.

Edited by Officer_Dufus

No? I believe I looked into that support years ago and there was an extensive fee.

But anyways I did some more searching after posting and found that some people have found it useful to rename the file as ivicd.sys.old and then they were able to boot. Not sure why I'd have these problems now as I have been running Intervideo for years, and it is currently installed on 6 systems as well.

Maybe I'll try switching back to IDE 2, not sure what that will do because I always used IDE1 before removing the motherboard so it could ger repaired.

Edited by Officer_Dufus

Well I renamed the file to ivicd.sys.old, and now it hangs on mup.sys.

I'll try the chkdsk and fixboot commands tomorrow. Sigh.

How could all of this happen considering it was working fine the day before and I shut it down properly?

Still having the problem. Using the recovery console, I did the "system restore" procedure for replacing the registry with an earlier version using the system restore folder....also tried chksk and fixboot. Still no luck.

Probably just going to format and reinstall XP. Not concerned about losing files as I have those on a separate HD (my way of doing it instead of partitioning) although I will have an abundance of programs and games to reinstall. Not looking forward to that but oh well, it looks like that is my last option.

• 2 weeks later...

Formatted and reinstalled Windows XP. Reinstalled all of my software. All is well now. Would have rather avoided this but oh well it works fine once again.

Strange for this corruption to pop up considering that it booted up fine once I got the repaired motherboard back in and everything connected. Wierd.