Remember That Taser Video?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is? If you're referring to her being tazed, I recommend listening to the commentary.

PS Welcome back.

609854[/snapback]

Yea - I suppose if you are being that unruly you should get taken control of but I don't agree with a tazer that fast... I mean he warned her didn't he.. she should have stfu and did

Also, she took a swipe at one of the officers. Wasn't like she was just disibeying. Btw...don't go to a park and shoot airsoft near ducks(Not at them). The neighbors think you are shooting the ducks and call the cops on you. Happened to me today.

Just so you all know, I havn't watched the video just read your commontary. If you guys don't know I do work for a police station and have witnessed tazing as well as heard plenty of stories. Please allow me to disavow any myths.

1. These things do hurt like hell. They will drop the biggest guy you can come across.

2. These give a 5 seccond shock, no more. The officer using the tazer can choose to cut that 5 secconds short, or to issue more shocks as appropriate (the most I've heard of is 3, where the guy was completely disabled and actually deficated and urinated on himself).

3. I've seen many scenes where the use of non-lethal force was necessary, I'm not disputing that in this case. However, I feel that all of you who are saying "only 5 secconds" or "they should have hit her again" should be tazed yourself, to know what it's like. Officers, when they enter a department, get shot in the face with OC spray and tazed themselves so that they know what it's like. If you don't know what it's like, don't blatently display your ignorance.

Just so you all know, I havn't watched the video just read your commontary. If you guys don't know I do work for a police station and have witnessed tazing as well as heard plenty of stories. Please allow me to disavow any myths.

2. These give a 5 seccond shock, no more. The officer using the tazer can choose to cut that 5 secconds short, or to issue more shocks as appropriate (the most I've heard of is 3, where the guy was completely disabled and actually deficated and urinated on himself).

Sorry, but I have to argue 2. I also have spent some time around a police station, and also around tasers. Tasers cycle for 5 seconds. You can cut it short manually. BUT, if you continue to hold the trigger for longer than 5 seconds, they continue to cycle for the length of time that the trigger is pulled. Now, being that they are electronic, and computerized, I suppose that it is possible to set them at a max cycle time. However, my experience has proven to me that they don't cut out at 5 just because its 5.

Now, for my opinion on the video. Totally justified use of force. She was given clear, direct, and legal commands, which she refused to comply with, multiple times. She was warned what would happen if she did not comply. The officer felt that his safety was being threatened, so he responded appropriately.

Skinny, are you an EMT/Law Enforcement Officer/First Responder? Two of your posts have already shown that you know what you're talking about, and you really do know your stuff :).

If so, thanks for giving your time to help save others in your community. Public Safety Professionals are under-appreciated.

Sorry, but I have to argue 2.  I also have spent some time around a police station, and also around tasers.  Tasers cycle for 5 seconds.  You can cut it short manually.  BUT, if you continue to hold the trigger for longer than 5 seconds, they continue to cycle for the length of time that the trigger is pulled.  Now, being that they are electronic, and computerized, I suppose that it is possible to set them at a max cycle time.  However, my experience has proven to me that they don't cut out at 5 just because its 5.

Now, for my opinion on the video.  Totally justified use of force.  She was given clear, direct, and legal commands, which she refused to comply with, multiple times.  She was warned what would happen if she did not comply.  The officer felt that his safety was being threatened, so he responded appropriately.

615494[/snapback]

Just FYI, I do believe that the ATF has set a regulation that states that a taser can cycle no more then three times before it MUST shut off for a certain period. If tasing a suspect one on one doesn't work after fifteen seconds of shocks, it's time to move to the next level of force, even if it's a lethal one.

Oh, BTW, thanks for the EDUCATED response about the situation. Common sense prevails.