Making The Move For Intel To Amd

well im going to make the move from intel to amd but i dont know what processor to get. im looking at this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136165 because i want ati. yes i know i should go with nvidia but lets take one setp at a time, just be happy im going over to amd. im looking for a 939 processor and look to spend somewhere around $600 for it. what would be my best choice?

Both the FX and X2 were designed as workstation processors. The FX line is just about dead, and the X2 is more futureproofed. I would really recommend just getting an Opteron and some decent cooling (and I mean real cooling. Like vapour phase change. Watercooling is for n00bs), and OC the hell out of that. You won't hit 4+ Ghz on an FX, sorry.

"Watercooling is for n00bs"

-lol at Badger

Personally i wouldn'y spend 600 on a CPU yet, but if you want to I say go Opteron. I think a price drop after the new FX and 5000+ come out will be the last good oen before the new sockets so i'd buy then. $90 for a Sempron 3000 is a decent headway into the world of 939

well im going to make the move from intel to amd but i dont know what processor to get.  im looking at this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813136165 because i want ati.  yes i know i should go with nvidia but lets take one setp at a time, just be happy im going over to amd.  im looking for a 939 processor and look to spend somewhere around $600 for it. what would be my best choice?

579624[/snapback]

i just wonder why if you know you should go nvidia are you buying a $200 motherboard that is specifically to be used with ATI cards?

thats like saying, i know i shouldn't be driving into that wall, but i think i will do it anyways.........

Fine, you won't hit much above 4.1Ghz on an FX without an ES (I'll shut up now to keep my butt safe from the people I know).

Looking at things in the extremes, watercooling temps are much too high. For the amount of money you spend on a setup, and running the risk of leaks, you may as well build yourself a VPC (and let natural selection take it's course if need be). Much cheaper than buying a Vapochill or Mach II.

There's litterally an entire Freon VPC system in my brother's closet. However, for Freon to have full effect, you would need to have either 2.5 volts of Vcore on your CPU, or have it heating enough to dissipate the heat enough. As soon as I make myself a block (I'll be making measurements in a bit on my K8N Neo2-F), I will start some extreme overclocking. Extreme overclocking can only be done if you can blow on your CPU really hard, or if you have an extreme cooling setup, such as a VPC, Dice, or LN2 (For the slow: Dice = Dry Ice, and LN2 = Nitrogen cooled down to the point that it's liquid). I prefer the former for longitivity reasons, really.

If you truly want the best, get an Opty and a VPC. You can make the latter for a fraction of what some will charge you. Have fun, and post your results. And remember: Absolute zero can not be reached, don't try a 20 stage cascade, and Mountain Dew is tastey.