Teaching Creationism In School..

BarneyGumble

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html

Only facts can be debated

553812[/snapback]

How can a fact, something universally proven to be true, be debated? If it is indeed fact, then there should be no room for debate. Perhaps we could debate opinions based on said fact....

Sorry, dont mean to get on you, I just had this argument with my brother... so im kind of primed... :)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I say it was about man from monkeys. I guess I did sort of mention it. But, I know that we didn't evolve from them. We share a common ancestor, I know this. Just like any other animal today, they all share a singular or a couple common ancestors way back to the first set of single celled organisms. What I am asking is, where did the single celled organsism come from.

Again, I'm not asking for reasons why evolution is truth because I believe it to be truth. But I also believe that something started the whole process. What caused the dust cloud to form into stars and planets? What caused single celled organisms to come out the hot springs? How did they even get into the hot springs? All of these questions have no answers that anyone has proven. The answer that I believe to be true...note I said BELIEVE, I'm not saying proven...is that God started it.

Please prove to me that ID/Creationism is false. I agree with evolution COMPLETELY and WHOLY, except where it says that life came from nothing.

EDIT: Please don't ask me to prove ID/Creationism because it requires faith. If evolution relies on scietific evidence than it has proof.

Edited by hockeyrcks9901

How can a fact, something universally proven to be true, be debated? If it is indeed fact, then there should be no room for debate. Perhaps we could debate opinions based on said fact....

Sorry, dont mean to get on you, I just had this argument with my brother... so im kind of primed...  :)

554023[/snapback]

point well taken, but this is a good opportunity to refine the context by which I meant that. I meant "only facts" can be debated to mean that, you can not win a debate unless the information you use is factual. For instance, if someone were to say "I think we should all have nationalized healthcare because canada does it and they're the best country in the world" That isn't debatable. That's an opinion. If I were to say "roses are red, thus they are the best flowers" and you were to say "violets are blue, so they are the best flowers," that would be a debate. Opinion based on fact. Thank you for bringing that up. I have so much going through my head all the time that I sometimes forget to define exactly what I am trying to say, and I type something out in a certain context that isn't always understood over the internet, when it normally would be understood had we been face to face.

Lo, You seem to have changed a little bit with your avatar change. Some of your correct capitalization has gone away.

554031[/snapback]

If you're talking about grammar, I blame my laptop's keyboard. Even after a month I still haven't gotten used to it, thus in my hustle to type as fast as I normally do whilst using correct punctuation, on a foreign keyboard, I tend to throw in extra commas and capital letters here and there, and forget some commas and capital letters.

I know what you mean. I just started getting used to my laptop keyboard and I used to find it impossible to use. Now I find it easier than a normal keyboard because it takes less force to press the buttons. I do wish that it had a numpad though. I can't stand the useless strip at the top of the keyboard. I can't use it without looking like I could the numpad.

Edited by hockeyrcks9901

Meaning that while the Bible says it took 7 days for God to make the Earth, I think that this may have been dumbed down so that humans could understand. Even humans today have trouble understanding how many years it took the earth to form and then life to appear, so God would not have said it took billions upon billions of years.

Exactly! I've stayed out of this thread just to see where it would go and see if anyone would point this out. The Bible also says "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." This passage shows that time has no meaning to God, and therefore, the 7 days that the earth was created in, could have been 7000 years, or 7 million. As far as I know, the Bible does NOT say HOW most things were created; simply that they were. It does NOT say, that a method of "make this, change it a little, change it some more" (aka evolution) was used nor does it say that everything was made exactly as it is now. I do not see how God and evolution are mutually exclusive as many people seem to think. I think they fit together VERY well.

Exactly! I've stayed out of this thread just to see where it would go and see if anyone would point this out. The Bible also says "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." This passage shows that time has no meaning to God, and therefore, the 7 days that the earth was created in, could have been 7000 years, or 7 million. As far as I know, the Bible does NOT say HOW most  things were created; simply that they were. It does NOT say, that a method of "make this, change it a little, change it some more" (aka evolution) was used nor does it say  that everything was made exactly as it is now. I do not see how God and evolution are mutually exclusive as many people seem to think. I think they fit together VERY well.

554070[/snapback]

Very good point.

I do not see how God and evolution are mutually exclusive as many people seem to think. I think they fit together VERY well.

554070[/snapback]

This is a very good argument. I suppose you could say that this thought correlates with the naturalist belief that there is a functional "spirit" which controlls everything in nature. If there is a God, it could be that he/she CREATED EVOLUTION.