I've Almost Seen It All....

NCC10281982B

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dang LoArm, you've pretty much changed my mind... if I didn't already have that mindset...

Bah, tiredness is bad.

535045[/snapback]

Please, call me Lo lol. I think it's time you OCCers see the history behind my name. Cchalogamer knows full well what my name means, but I'll give you guys a littly insight. Lo Armistead is the nickname of a confederate Brigadier General, Lewis Addison Armistead; Commander II Brigade, III Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.

On July 3, 1863, the battle of Gettysburg was at a standstill. the union Army of the Potomac 100,000 men, and the confederate Army of Northern Virginia, 70,000 men, had met on the field surrounding Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. There had already been 2 days of figthing, both of which ended in stalemate. Lee wanted to deliver one more decisive blow to dislodge the union soldiers from their entrenched positions atop several hills. He ordered three of his freshest divisions (Pickett, Pender, Trimble) to assault the very middle of the union line. Morning, July 3, Trimble and Pender's division begin to march towards entrenched union line. Union artillery quickly overwhelms their ranks and both divisions are forced to retreat. General Pender was struck by a union minie ball, and Gener Trimble was struck by a piece of shrapnel. This left Pickett's 5,000 men up against 12,000 entrenched union soldiers...the odds are not in their favor. To make it worse, the rebs had used up all of their artillery, and the union were bringing up fresh batteries every minute. As Pickett's three brigades (Armistead, Garnett, Kemper) approached the union line, the union soldiers opened fire delivering volley after volley, thousands upon thousands of lead balls ripping holes in Pickett's ranks. As the brigades approached the wall, General Garnett was shot off his horse by a union cannon (his body was never found) and General Kemper was shot from his horse, mortally wounded. General Armistead was the only commander left to lead the charge. He ordered the remaining fragments of Pickett's division over the union line, thus hand-to-handcombat ensued. Lewis Armistead was struck down soon after by a union rifle, and Pickett's battered division limped back to the safety of the confederate lines. Overall, Lee's army after this assault was in shambles. Of the 15,000 men that assaulted the union line that day, 6,000 returned to their lines that evening. Of the 50 Regimental commanders in Lee's assault force, 27 were killed, 21 were wounded, and 2 were fit for duty. Of the 10 Brigade commanding Generals that were in Lee's attack force, only 3 returned to the lines unscathed. ...

Lewis Armistead is famous for being the only confederate general to make it to, and over the union wall during Pickett's Charge. he led the remnants of his men into the union line, knowing full well it was hopeless, but also knowing that if he were to sound the retreat, they would all be shot from behind.

Anywho, Pickett's charge in a nutshell.

framingfox_1738_88029730.gif

The guy at the top with his hat on his sword...yep, that's my man Lo.

mk-cw-003.jpg

cw-300.jpg

my God I love history. So who want's to sign up for Professor Lo's history class?

Lo, you are my hero lol. You have been making good point after good point in threads just like this since you joined. I don't think I have seen you make one non-technical post that I didn't agree with. I salute you Sir! :D

you just said it was unconstitutional...  then turned around saying there is nothing in the constitution stopping us from putting religious sayings on our buildings.

Then again, you are so...athesit you aren't thinking clearly.  To Muslims, Allah is God, with a capital G.  To Jew, Yeho, Yahway, however you want to spell it, is their God, with a capital G.  In essence, Allah, "God", and Yeho are all the same thing.  All three religions believe in basically the same God. 

It does not mean that atheists shouldn't have any rights, but as I said above, why should you CARE if we have God written on our buildings?  If you don't believe in him what effect does it have on you?  Nothing.  You are just trying to make something out of nothing, just as the liberals have done.  I don't believe in Darwinism, but when I walk by a car that has a Darwinist sticker on it, I read it, smirk, and go about my day.  I don't protest it and lobby to the sticker taken off the car.  Something out of nothing... there is no doubt in anyone's mind (if there is then you'd better not post here because you're stupid) that this nation was founded on christianity.  Thus, our judicial system was founded on christianity, and it has been made clear since the beginning.  Why should it change just because a minority of a minority of people are atheist or justlike making waves?

and KB:  thank you, that link reinforces what I am saying.  We were not founded upon Vishnu, Saktha, or the Dalai Lama.  If a town wants to petition that their courthouse put a statue of buddha on the front steps, so be it. I will laugh...but the people have spoken.  But there should be NO reason why any of the ten commandements be prohibited.

535039[/snapback]

what effect does it have on you if we remove the word "God" from our buildings? why's it such a big deal that to you that people are trying to remove it from our government? and there's a huge difference between someone slappin' a bumber sticker on their car and the government slappin' God on buildings...

what effect does it have on you if we remove the word "God" from our buildings? why's it such a big deal that to you that people are trying to remove it from our government? and there's a huge difference between someone slappin' a bumber sticker on their car and the government slappin' God on buildings...

535293[/snapback]

Mainly because "God" on our buildings was there long before any of the hippies came along wanting them removed. It's not like they are up there for the sole purpose of . off liberals, they are up there for a reason deeper than I guess you are able to understand. If you truely did understand..you still wouldn't be making this mediocre points.

well please enlighten me to this deeper meaning so i can to understand the ways of the dark side of the force, Darth Lo

535323[/snapback]

Sarcasm.

I've already tried. It's one of those things... you don't have the mindset to understand, plus you aren't willing to understand, so nothing I say or do will make you change your mind, it'll just go in circles.

Well stated Lo, except for one thing. The muslim god is not the same God as the Christian or Jewish God. Similar yes, but I do not believe it to be the same God.

As for evolution and Creationism. to start off, neither can be proven. You can't go back in time and show one happened, nor can you make an experiment to reproduce either. You can show that it is possible but not that it happened that way. So technically i guess neither would qualify as science in that regard.

Second, how did the eye evolve? It's a great piece of work.

The Constitution guarantees freedom OF religion, NOT freedom FROM religion. Get over it.

To quote www.dictionary.com on the word "of."

# Derived or coming from; originating at or from: customs of the South.

#1 Caused by; resulting from: a death of tuberculosis.

#2 Away from; at a distance from: a mile east of here.

#3 So as to be separated or relieved from: robbed of one's dignity; cured of distemper.

#4 From the total or group comprising: give of one's time; two of my friends; most of the cases.

#5 Composed or made from: a dress of silk.

#6 Associated with or adhering to: people of your religion.

#7 Belonging or connected to: the rungs of a ladder.

1. Possessing; having: a person of honor.

2. On one's part: very nice of you.

#8 Containing or carrying: a basket of groceries.

#9 Specified as; named or called: a depth of ten feet; the Garden of Eden.

#10 Centering on; directed toward: a love of horses.

#11 Produced by; issuing from: products of the vine.

#12 Characterized or identified by: a year of famine.

#

1. With reference to; about: think highly of her proposals; will speak of it later.

2. In respect to: slow of speech.

#13 Set aside for; taken up by: a day of rest.

#14 Before; until: five minutes of two.

#15 During or on a specified time: of recent years.

#16 By: beloved of the family.

#17 Used to indicate an appositive: that idiot of a driver.

# Archaic. On:

Edited by Instag0

As one can see, the word "of" has quite a slew of definitions and meanings  so that the word can be interpreted to mean many different things. The bolded text is there so that one may take note of the meaning that conflicts with the previous quote. Let's just not turn this into a huge debate over the meaning of the word 'of' :lol:.

535359[/snapback]

whoa whoa, you're the one trying to turn this into a debate of semantics. I use 'of' in the 'typical' definition, but I'll rephrase my statement, so perhaps you can't twist my words.

The Constitution guarantees one's right to possess a religion(or lack thereof), not one's right to avoid all religion(or lack thereof). That means that no one has the right to push my religion underground simply because they don't like seeing me practice it.

Perhaps it'd be better to simply quote the constitution (for reference, etc):

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I apologize if anything I have communicated to you came off as a bit harsh. It was not the intention.

Edited by Instag0